Dehdesh

Potential Bug [SPOILERS]

15 posts in this topic

So while I was just running around the map for a while, I ran into a particular fight, and it seems like (while it should be a super easy fight; I'm well beyond equipped for it) the boss just won't die? I used Psychopath on it, and it showed a blue "0" after I hit it for a while, and say that it had 60,000 HP. I continued wailing on it, but nothing ever changed. At this point I think I've managed at least 300k damage, and I'm nowhere near dying to it, but it won't die.

Spoiler

Referring to Mallow's solo fight with Valentina on Booster's Tower. I think her second "life" just isn't triggering, unless I'm missing something terribly obvious like in the Johnny fight where I wasn't allowed to kill Johnny before killing his crew, but I have no idea what I could be missing. Any help would be appreciated!

Yup, that fight's impossible in whatever version you're playing.  Your only choices are to fix the fight yourself using the Lazy Shell Editor or abandon it entirely.

Dang, that's too bad. I'm playing v8 easy mode directly from the download on this site. I don't take it there are any special rewards I'm missing out on not completing it?

On 9/19/2017 at 11:15 AM, Doomsday31415 said:

Yup, that fight's impossible in whatever version you're playing.  Your only choices are to fix the fight yourself using the Lazy Shell Editor or abandon it entirely.

Hey, sorry if I'm piggybacking on this thread (which is a one month necro), but I'm having the same issue (oh and another bug I've noticed, the Snifit sprites pre-battle look really weird too)
As someone who has never used the Lazy Shell Editor before, how exactly do you fix this?

Edit: After downloading it's a very nice, easy to use editor, but I don't know what line I'm trying to fix (oh and I don't know C# at all if that's needed to fix the encounter).

Edited by Polarthief

16 hours ago, Polarthief said:

Hey, sorry if I'm piggybacking on this thread (which is a one month necro), but I'm having the same issue (oh and another bug I've noticed, the Snifit sprites pre-battle look really weird too)
As someone who has never used the Lazy Shell Editor before, how exactly do you fix this?

Edit: After downloading it's a very nice, easy to use editor, but I don't know what line I'm trying to fix (oh and I don't know C# at all if that's needed to fix the encounter).

Could you post the AI for the enemy that's the problem?  Specifically their counter logic.

SPOILER WARNING JUST IN CASE

I'm pretty sure this is the right one. There's a second Valentina but I assume that's the original (or rather Nimbus Land) version. The way I know is her Psychopath states she has 60k HP (despite only having 30k in the Vital Status? Might be the 2-phase thing?). Picture is in the spoiler below.

Edit: Also dunno if it matters but I figure I would just state it just in case, this is for Content Mode, not Hard Mode. That said, the fight is also bugged on Hard Mode (a friend and I were playing somewhat synchronously, me playing Content, him playing Hard; he's also tested the fight and came to the same problem; she'll just have 0 HP on a Psychopath reveal once you do enough damage and never die/turn into Phase 2[?])

Spoiler

ZofVh1F.png

Edited by Polarthief

So, the easy fix is just to remove the "If memory $7EE02 >= 1" line.  This will cause Valentina to give up at 30,000 damage.  I'd recommend just making this change for simplicity (and because of limited space).  While it will be easier than intended, if you've gotten to the point where you realize she doesn't ever give up, it'll be easy either way.

To go into a little more depth what's going on, there's two different "formations" that Valentina appears in: the one in Nimbus Land with Dodo (385) and the solo fight (236).  Whenever Valentina is attacked, it runs the counter logic and does different things depending on the formation.  For the 385 formation, it checks to see if her HP is below zero.  If it is, it increments $7EE002, heals her for 9,999 HP three times, then checks to see if $7EE002 is at least two.  Basically, $7EE002 is the "lives lost" counter.  Most superbosses do something similar here.  Once enough lives have been lost, they're defeated.

The problem is in the 236 formation.  Notice that $7EE002 is checked, but never incremented.  Valentina is also never healed.  This is why she's stuck at zero HP.  As long as "Disable Auto-Death" is set, enemies will not be defeated even when they hit zero HP.  The proper fix would be to do the same thing as 385, but limited space leads to the above recommendation.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Doomsday31415

15 minutes ago, Doomsday31415 said:

So, the easy fix is just to remove the "If memory $7EE02 >= 1" line.  This will cause Valentina to give up at 30,000 damage.  I'd recommend just making this change for simplicity (and because of limited space).  While it will be easier than intended, if you've gotten to the point where you realize she doesn't ever give up, it'll be easy either way.

To go into a little more depth what's going on, there's two different "formations" that Valentina appears in: the one in Nimbus Land with Dodo (385) and the solo fight (236).  Whenever Valentina is attacked, it runs the counter logic and does different things depending on the formation.  For the 385 formation, it checks to see if her HP is below zero.  If it is, it increments $7EE002, heals her for 9,999 HP three times, then checks to see if $7EE002 is at least two.  Basically, $7EE002 is the "lives lost" counter.  Most superbosses do something similar here.  Once enough lives have been lost, they're defeated.

The problem is in the 236 formation.  Notice that $7EE002 is checked, but never incremented.  Valentina is also never healed.  This is why she's stuck at zero HP.  As long as "Disable Auto-Death" is set, enemies will not be defeated even when they hit zero HP.  The proper fix would be to do the same thing as 385, but limited space leads to the above recommendation.

Hope that helps!

Awesome, thank you so much!

That said, I do remember trying to remove lines (just for the hell of it, why not) to see what would happen, but lines simply wouldn't delete and I didn't quite understand why. Even if I cut out a portion of the fight (TBH I think I overgear it at this point; Phase 1 at least was an absolute joke and I have, since trying it, progressed massively into the end-game, making it even easier. I'll try to see if I can just cut the >= 1 line.

Again thank you so much; hopefully all this stuff will be fixed in v9 which I greatly look forward to! :)

Edit: Tried again pressing the Delete button (or Del key on the keyboard neither worked) to no luck at deleting the command. I figured it would just shift the three lines below it (Run battle dialogue, exit battle, wait 1 turn) up, but it's simply not deleting the line. Hell it's not even letting me delete ANY line from the command.
Edit: Here's a picture (in spoiler below)

Spoiler

peOfCn8.png

Edited by Polarthief

2 hours ago, Doomsday31415 said:

You need to select the check box to the left of the line, then click the X.

... I... good lord.

Thank you for both helping me and showing me how stupid I am. You've done more than you should have bothered with. :D

14 minutes ago, Polarthief said:

... I... good lord.

Thank you for both helping me and showing me how stupid I am. You've done more than you should have bothered with. :D

No problem!  I was confused by that at first as well.  The UI for that editor can be pretty unintuitive sometimes...

Alright went and did the fix and then as she got stuck on 0 HP, I totally forgot I was playing on a hacked SNES Classic and forgot to synchronize the edited ROM before the boss fight. Man climbing Booster's Tower multiple times is annoying as hell.

After not being stupid (yet again), the fight ended as intended when she dropped to 0. That said though, her HP is only 30,000 despite saying 60k which seems kinda weird. Dunno if that's a Hard Mode thing left over or what, but it just seemed odd (I saw that in the editor too but I assume it might be for the 2-phase thing). I also only used Dark Star which both times said 9999, but 2 of them would be ~20k (19,998) and killed her; guessing that's just a bug with Dark Star not accurately displaying how much damage it really does.

Thanks again for all your help, Doomsday :)

The fix I gave makes her HP effectively 30,000, so that's not surprising.

In v8, damage can be as high as 30,000, but will only display up to 9,999.  v9 will display more useful information here :)