Sign in to follow this  
Boss

Greetings humans

9 posts in this topic

Sup folks, Moogle from ID here. 

Been checking the Insane Difficulty forums since about the time they were founded, and followed here when the forums went down. As happy as I was to see Arch post again hours before the boards' demise, I'm guessing it wouldn't be a stretch to assume he's not going to be appearing here anytime soon? That's too bad but oh well. 

I came to see what this place is about and focus seems to be much the same as with ID, except without the inconvenience of having the person running the site not being around? Discovering Kyrios' Insurgence thread made me feel an intense range of emotions at all the goofy Pokemon typings so I figured I might as well register and stick around some more here. 

If you bois ever have a focus on JRPG challenges on these forums somewhere, as was the case on ID some years ago, you can definitely count on my interest. The difficulty hacks are a bit out of my comfort zone, but I have a thing for replaying games I know with a set of arbitrary restrictions. 

Hey hey hey, I remember you. Welcome! Well, I'm sure we can find a spot for that! :P We don't have a designated challenge forum like in ID, but the Let's Play forum should do well for discussing that!

I have one. Since people have been doing Pokemon runs on here, I have one for you. 

Pokemon "No Mart" challenge. It's harder than you'd think. Healing items are sacred, and no longer can you just Full Restore your way to victory for the endgame. 

13 hours ago, Nowea said:

Did you just assume my species?

Actually, I was just referencing this

No Mart sounds like it could pose some level of challenge, but probably not nearly enough? You can still go back and use the PokeCentre to heal up, and when the turbo button is fast enough I sometimes do that more often than heal with items to save myself the effort of clicking through a menu with what tends to be a bad interface. Being unable to buy PokeBalls may seem limiting enough, but you can get these by picking up items from the ground and as gifts. You don't really need very many Pokemon anyway, and as it happens, beating the games the fastest (in a speedrun let's say) involves soloing it with usually some combination of your starter and a lategame legendary. 

Could be an interesting additional restriction to introduce to an existing challenge run however. 

The Let's Play section seems fitting, though I dunno if anything I've ever done can be considered an LP? That's certainly the only section where it would currently fit in though. 

So are you Moogleboss, or are the names just a coincidence?  I never knew you frequented ID if that's the case.

EDIT: nm, you're obviously him. :P

Edited by Lockirby2

On 9/22/2017 at 2:23 PM, Boss said:

Actually, I was just referencing this

No Mart sounds like it could pose some level of challenge, but probably not nearly enough? You can still go back and use the PokeCentre to heal up, and when the turbo button is fast enough I sometimes do that more often than heal with items to save myself the effort of clicking through a menu with what tends to be a bad interface. Being unable to buy PokeBalls may seem limiting enough, but you can get these by picking up items from the ground and as gifts. You don't really need very many Pokemon anyway, and as it happens, beating the games the fastest (in a speedrun let's say) involves soloing it with usually some combination of your starter and a lategame legendary. 

Could be an interesting additional restriction to introduce to an existing challenge run however. 

The Let's Play section seems fitting, though I dunno if anything I've ever done can be considered an LP? That's certainly the only section where it would currently fit in though. 

Maybe so, but think about it this way for the original. You start with 0 Pokeballs. So you're stuck with your starter for some time. 

On 9/23/2017 at 0:48 AM, Lockirby2 said:

So are you Moogleboss, or are the names just a coincidence?  I never knew you frequented ID if that's the case.

EDIT: nm, you're obviously him. :P

oh hai

I signed up on ID early on upon Arch's invitation, and the idea was that we'd have a challenge section there, and in a way we did. There was a short period of time when people posted those "100% recorded" SSCC runs for FF Tactics and while I followed Arch's and Bastard Poetry's at first, it became impossible to watch every every new 40 minute long video when every member of the community started their own SSCC and posted a thread for it. I think I was the only one at the time who chose to upload highlights instead, in the Oracle SSCC that I gave up on because resetting 300 times to get good RNG got old eventually. 

Since then, I was pretty difficult to notice on ID because I periodically checked the challenge section to see if it was getting any activity - it wasn't most of the time. 

In Pokemon Red, you get your first Poke Ball in Viridian Forest. Could use that to catch a Nidoran or something, making much of the rest of the game easier. You can also grind until you don't worry about using items to heal anymore (a problem I tend to have with Nuzlocke runs as well).