daft_inquisitor

1.3 Easytype plus Complete - anyone have this?

14 posts in this topic

So, I've been browsing around FFHacktics trying to find this. It used to be hosted there, but since they nuked all the FFT1.3 stuff, figure it's long gone. But, since there might be people around here involved in the old projects, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Apparently there used to be a version of FFT out there that had both the 1.3 Eazytype mod along with the "Complete" text rework included. I'd love to get ahold of that version of the game, if anyone has an old copy somewhere or knows where I can find it now. I tried playing through just Eazytype after the "Complete" version, but the dialog just doesn't sit right anymore.

If it helps any, found some people talking about it on a message board, and apparently it was called either "ez_complete" or "1.3034-EZ-Complete", I guess depending on where you got it from or maybe version differences. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

For what it's worth, the version number you quoted is an absurdly old one, and the newest version of Content in existence is 1.3.0.6, which is far more polished. Not sure about you, but I feel it wouldn't be worth sacrificing game quality for slightly different dialogue.

No, I'm quite aware that's an older build, but the change logs (that I've been able to find) don't seem to indicate any HUUUGE differences since that version that I'd be concerned with, and I'd rather have the better dialog quality, personally.

Edited by daft_inquisitor

To each their own, but if your impression is that there has only been minor differences since that release, then you're quite wrong. The difference is quite major, actually. 

Well, with that being the case... Since Easytype is only up to version 1.3.0.6, and Hardtype (for lack of knowing proper naming for it) is up to 1.3.0.8, is it a major difference between those two? I'm going to invest in potentially looking into learning to mod the game (would not be my first time working on modding games, just first for PSX titles). I'm thinking of doing the "Complete" textmods onto Easytype, but if the changes from .6 to .8 are equally large, maybe I'll look into updating Easytype to .8 as well by copying the changes from hardtype?

Yeah, I probably don't know what I'm getting into here, but I have a history of that, so....

There is DrBretto's WOTL offshoot of 1.3, which he recently updated and made a thread on ID before it went poof. It apparently didn't make the Archive uploaded here, So I'll ask Drbretto about it. If you want the translation and extra content, it's in that one. I played through chapters 1 and 2 and it's great.

But if you want to play 1.3 in its most "final" state (There has been plenty of discussion, specially around changes to chapter 4) it's 1.3.0.8, and with the Content ease of play specifically, it'll have to be 1.3.0.6

If there's enough demand, I wouldn't mind using 1.3.0.8 and fixing it up to be a "content" type if people really want that. May as well when I die to Monster Tactics. xD

A note on version naming: The old versions of 1.3 were labelled 13034, 13035, etc. and with a large revamp came the new version number scheme which began with 1.3.0.4. The differences between 1.3.0.6 and 1.3.0.8 aren't equivalent in magnitude to the changes between 13034 and 1.3.0.6, and you can get away with playing 1.3.0.6 and still enjoy the mod in a fairly polished state. I'm not a fan of the Content version because it removes a lot of what gives 1.3 its fluidity: Level scaling, and enemies with proper RSM and weapon choices.

Ultimately it's your choice. Chapter 1 of both is roughly the same in difficulty, it's just that Content doesn't progress to higher difficulty like 1.3 does, but nor does it progress to an adequate level of complexity.

From everything I understand, the 1.3 "content" version is still a harder game than Vanilla, just not as ridiculously so (or luck-dependant, depending on who you ask) as straight 1.3. I want a bit of a challenge, but I think regular 1.3 is more than I'm looking for, judging by a little trouble I'm having with chapter 1 already. Honestly though, I'm drawn to 1.3 more for the class and item changes that I think are more interesting and balanced than some of the other FFT mods out there.

But, after getting spoiled by WotL's translation, I think the original stuff is a bit dry, which is why I'm here with this thread. Though, I did start to look into doing some modding of the game, and think I will give a shot at just updating the 1.3 patches with the updated dialog, as much as I can. Having trouble repatching the changes I've already attempted though, but that's another issue in and of itself for a different online community...

Well, DrBretto has given his permission to share links to WOTL 1.3.1.3b4 if you want.

The main difference with Content is that it removes anything that would keep you from brute forcing your way through.

On 10/2/2017 at 1:20 PM, Augestein said:

If there's enough demand, I wouldn't mind using 1.3.0.8 and fixing it up to be a "content" type if people really want that. May as well when I die to Monster Tactics. xD

I would like that. Tell me- would it be easier to make "Hard Type" (1.3.0.8) into a Content version, or would it be easier to bring Content 1.3.0.6 up to the changes in Hard Type?

On 11/20/2017 at 3:30 PM, pogeymanz said:

I would like that. Tell me- would it be easier to make "Hard Type" (1.3.0.8) into a Content version, or would it be easier to bring Content 1.3.0.6 up to the changes in Hard Type?

It would without a doubt, be easier to bring 1.3.0.8 into a Content version, as the Content version still has older stuff in there.

In terms of things that need to stand out to refine 1.3.0.8 into a Content type: 

1) Reduce level of enemies to be either set, or consistently party level rather than this stupid party level +. It's fine for an occasional boss, but constantly doing that is just a way to artificially make the player gain levels faster than they have any business doing. Which really doesn't help anyone, as once your characters reach the 50ish area, you may as well hit 99. And by the endgame, you should be 99 if you're anything near level 75. IIRC, in content, they were set levels so this could be removed entirely? It'll take awhile, but certainly less time than updating Fire 1, Ice 1 and Bolt 1 to the Wizard set as it is. 

2) Certain goofs like Meliadoul would need to be fixed-- as she has Mime unlocked, which results in her having almost NOTHING unlocked when you get her making her nothing more than a glorified Javelin 2 user for the most part. This was a goof as Meliadoul was supposed to have a lot of stuff unlocked, and Mime requirements used to be higher and were subsequently changed which screwed people over. 

12 hours ago, Augestein said:

It would without a doubt, be easier to bring 1.3.0.8 into a Content version, as the Content version still has older stuff in there.

In terms of things that need to stand out to refine 1.3.0.8 into a Content type: 

1) Reduce level of enemies to be either set, or consistently party level rather than this stupid party level +. It's fine for an occasional boss, but constantly doing that is just a way to artificially make the player gain levels faster than they have any business doing. Which really doesn't help anyone, as once your characters reach the 50ish area, you may as well hit 99. And by the endgame, you should be 99 if you're anything near level 75. IIRC, in content, they were set levels so this could be removed entirely? It'll take awhile, but certainly less time than updating Fire 1, Ice 1 and Bolt 1 to the Wizard set as it is. 

2) Certain goofs like Meliadoul would need to be fixed-- as she has Mime unlocked, which results in her having almost NOTHING unlocked when you get her making her nothing more than a glorified Javelin 2 user for the most part. This was a goof as Meliadoul was supposed to have a lot of stuff unlocked, and Mime requirements used to be higher and were subsequently changed which screwed people over. 

So, I actually did #1 for myself once. I went through with FFT Patcher Tools and changed the levels of all story battles to be fixed and the same as Content. The problem with that is that I didn't change the randoms at all. So the randoms were still insanely brutal and actually, the story battles were WORSE in the early game (I only got part way into Ch 2 before not having time anymore and not caring because it wasn't fun) because I was sometimes more than 1 or 2 levels below.

I think that having the story battles just be Party Level, with the occasional Party Level + 5 (or whatever) for bosses would be good, like you suggested.

The other thing, though, is how are the randoms in Content compared to regular 1.3? I've never played Content, but the worst part of my bastardized 1.3 run was that randoms were still mostly pretty brutal. I feel like an "easy mode" of 1.3 would have to edit most of the encounters- at very least the easy way out would be to just remove a couple of units from most randoms.