Sign in to follow this  
Squaresoft

FFT 1.3 - Inherit all skills intentional?

8 posts in this topic

Hello there, I'm playing through 1.3.0.8 for the first time and just noticed (a little late, I'm almost chapter 3) that when you pick up a Crystal to learn "a single skill", it doesn't matter which one I choose, ALL of them are learned.
I don't remember if this used to happen at Chapter 1, when I started farming Mandalia Plain's Thief, since he always had 1 or 2 skills to choose.

Now I can't help but feel like a cheater every time I pickup a Crystal and get 8 skills for my LV1 jobs. (Specially expensive skills like 10 Oracle/Monk skills from a single Crystal)

Is this intentional?. Like I said, I'm new to this specific hack and the old forums are DEAD. Can't check.
Thank you.

That is something that exists in vanilla, and to my knowledge no one has attempted to remove it in any mod.  It's not so much intentional as it is likely a pain in the ass asm hack to write to fix vanilla's bug.

I am of the assumption that this is less a bug and more shitty wording on the text box. You always learn all skills, and I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

8 hours ago, Hart-Hunt said:

I find it hilarious that a user named Squaresoft asks about a mechanic that comes from vanilla. The irony is so real.

Played Vanilla for YEARS and never noticed!.
Can't say for sure if: 1) because I was just a kid, 2) you barely fight humans in vanilla random encounters (and story enemies have nothing), 3) I always had all the skills thanks the absurd JP grinding.

Well. Now I can return to the game with a peace of mind.

15 hours ago, Ludovician said:

I am of the assumption that this is less a bug and more shitty wording on the text box. You always learn all skills, and I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

It may have been that you were supposed to learn all  abilities but there are no scroll-able text boxes encased within the navigational systems. You either have static boxes for text, or the same scrolling text for CT order etc. 

However, it does seem stupid to even bother to ask "learn abilities?" Then. I mean, why the hell wouldn't you want to learn an ability that you don't have? Then again, the game does this for Ultima too. Would you like to learn Ultima? No game, I just switched to Squire on this fight coincidentally and have no intention of learning a move that can be missed. 

Some of the decisions in FFT were truly baffling to say at the least. At this point, I'd honestly say it's impossible to tell if it's a bug or a mistranslation. Haha. I never thought about it being the box being misleading in its wording until you mentioned that.

16 hours ago, Augestein said:

However, it does seem stupid to even bother to ask "learn abilities?" Then. I mean, why the hell wouldn't you want to learn an ability that you don't have?

I would rather heal full HP & MP than learn "echo screen + move-find item", I like to check if the RNG has something good for me.
By the way.. Would you like to learn Zodiac?........................pfftsk..nah..