Sign in to follow this  
zedorfed66

Shadow Hearts: Covenant NTSC - Godslayer v6.50

114 posts in this topic

On 13.7.2021 at 8:12 PM, SirShaggy said:

Thank you so much Zed, and happy very belated birthday man! I will definitely start the Covenant streams up again very soon with this new "grind-free" version of the mod. :)

Hi again Shaggy. Give it a go when you feel like it. I'm just happy people are giving my mods a go :D and thanks. I didn't plan to release it on my bday it just happened to go right.

Hey! I was to say Thanks for the SH1 mod. I played through it and enjoyed the hell out of it. Even though it made me stress a lil bit LOL. I'm playing through this one as well. People on twitch asked me why I put myself through this LMFAO

17 hours ago, itsRaddas said:

Hey! I was to say Thanks for the SH1 mod. I played through it and enjoyed the hell out of it. Even though it made me stress a lil bit LOL. I'm playing through this one as well. People on twitch asked me why I put myself through this LMFAO

I'm glad you've found enjoyment amidst all the brutality. I still need to make a peace with my Shadow Hearts demons before I can rest in peace. I now focus on my SH1 mod again while pending help for my ff8 project on another forum. Hope you like my new SH:C edition too btw. Haven't gotten any comments on it yet so I don't know what people think about it.

I'll be sure to leave some feedback as soon as I can Zed! New semester at college just started so things are really hectic at the moment. To be honest, I might replay through the game if grinding is no longer necessary. It's been a long time since I've streamed it and I think switching to the newest version now would leave me kind of overpowered... Ah well, can never get enough Shadow Hearts, honestly.

Edited by SirShaggy

5 hours ago, SirShaggy said:

I'll be sure to leave some feedback as soon as I can Zed! New semester at college just started so things are really hectic at the moment. To be honest, I might replay through the game if grinding is no longer necessary. It's been a long time since I've streamed it and I think switching to the newest version now would leave me kind of overpowered... Ah well, can never get enough Shadow Hearts, honestly.

Hey Shaggy, hope things will go right for you with the studies. There will be extra grinding required at the optional dungeons, but it's still way less than in v5.0 since the dungeons give 3x the exp instead of 2x. Manmariana Island enemies give 3x exp so getting 3 levels there should go pretty well with the exploring. I hope you like the new changes I made and that you enjoy the mod more overall.

Oh wow, it's very exciting to see that there's a new update, Zed! It amazes me that you're still able to improve the mod! I'll definitely play it when I have time -- Shadow Hearts 2 + this mod is still my favorite combat system.

I was sort of surprised that you upped the EXP in general -- it seemed like from the last feedback, you were against it. As for seals, I used them to compensate for being lower level, which I thought was fun in itself because it was one of the few ways to permanently "customize" your party members towards a build. Of course, putting them (and especially the agility ones) on Yuri is the most powerful choice, but I think it's also fun to non-optimally put them on other characters, especially to compensate for other challenges/playstyles.

In terms of having a more consistent difficulty curve for players, it makes sense to remove it (especially with the increase of EXP), but it does sadden me a bit to see it go because it comes at the cost of player expressiveness. (Of course, they're still usable by loading up vanilla, but it feels significantly more "cheaty" to do so.) I like your philosophy on Technical Ring, in which if you want to use it to make the mod easier, it's all good, but it's not required to win. The mod was still definitely difficult enough even with using everything available to me. 

When I play the newest version, is there any specific feedback you would want? Was it useful for me to document my levels before the bosses? Should I document random encounter "one shots," like how you lowered the damage of Rhondda Mines so Blanca doesn't get one shotted? See if I can still get Libertis before Disk 2 if I use everything available to me? I'm still thinking of playing it without Yuri and Keys (to limit physical damage stacking, big fusion into 3 combo, and Dark Seraphim, all things that are out of scope for a mod to do) but on new game plus, just for extra copies of the AOE buffs that Yuri would otherwise have.

Also, out of curiosity, what team do you use? And how far do you buff stack for damage? Do you just stop at Rage? Or do you go all the way with Keys + Energy Charge + Mind's Eye? I ask because that makes a huuuuggggeeeee difference in damage output.

On 11.9.2021 at 8:59 AM, elltacko said:

Oh wow, it's very exciting to see that there's a new update, Zed! It amazes me that you're still able to improve the mod! I'll definitely play it when I have time -- Shadow Hearts 2 + this mod is still my favorite combat system.

I was sort of surprised that you upped the EXP in general -- it seemed like from the last feedback, you were against it. As for seals, I used them to compensate for being lower level, which I thought was fun in itself because it was one of the few ways to permanently "customize" your party members towards a build. Of course, putting them (and especially the agility ones) on Yuri is the most powerful choice, but I think it's also fun to non-optimally put them on other characters, especially to compensate for other challenges/playstyles.

In terms of having a more consistent difficulty curve for players, it makes sense to remove it (especially with the increase of EXP), but it does sadden me a bit to see it go because it comes at the cost of player expressiveness. (Of course, they're still usable by loading up vanilla, but it feels significantly more "cheaty" to do so.) I like your philosophy on Technical Ring, in which if you want to use it to make the mod easier, it's all good, but it's not required to win. The mod was still definitely difficult enough even with using everything available to me. 

When I play the newest version, is there any specific feedback you would want? Was it useful for me to document my levels before the bosses? Should I document random encounter "one shots," like how you lowered the damage of Rhondda Mines so Blanca doesn't get one shotted? See if I can still get Libertis before Disk 2 if I use everything available to me? I'm still thinking of playing it without Yuri and Keys (to limit physical damage stacking, big fusion into 3 combo, and Dark Seraphim, all things that are out of scope for a mod to do) but on new game plus, just for extra copies of the AOE buffs that Yuri would otherwise have.

Also, out of curiosity, what team do you use? And how far do you buff stack for damage? Do you just stop at Rage? Or do you go all the way with Keys + Energy Charge + Mind's Eye? I ask because that makes a huuuuggggeeeee difference in damage output.

Well yeah I replayed the mod again and felt it was too grindy this time around and took the advice. This version of the mod is basically the best version with everything better and more together. Characters have their pros and cons and using Seals just removes that balance. Of course I can understand those who want to use them, it was just my decision to remove their effect. Having the best Fusions before the end of disc 1 is way overkill for this mod imo. You can still do that but not while my mod is on.

You can leave feedback on the mod if you want. I'm not really expecting anything though. Just have fun xd. In bosses I use the party members best suitable for them (with everyone equally leveled). I use all the buffs that work well for the bosses. Gale, Shield, Barrier, Rage is the basic deal for many bosses. In wolf bouts I often use Gale and Shield. As for the bosses that use Energy Charge I only use Gale and Rage. Using Energy Charge can be a waste unless you're sure you are able to attack on next turn. Basically I use that only on the pit fights since they're easier and I can destroy fast. I don't use Mind's Eye since I like seeing the strike areas. And Keys take turns away so you gotta be careful not to overdo it. I think I started using 3rd Keys in King Solomon and the bosses after that.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:59 AM, elltacko said:

In terms of having a more consistent difficulty curve for players, it makes sense to remove it (especially with the increase of EXP), but it does sadden me a bit to see it go because it comes at the cost of player expressiveness. (Of course, they're still usable by loading up vanilla, but it feels significantly more "cheaty" to do so.) 

Wait, does this mean you can switch between Vanilla and Godslayer on one save? I was thinking about playing this mod, but having to restart the game was going to be disheartening. On top of not being sure what the difficulty was going to be like.

On 26/09/2022 at 10:01 AM, macanu said:

Wait, does this mean you can switch between Vanilla and Godslayer on one save? I was thinking about playing this mod, but having to restart the game was going to be disheartening. On top of not being sure what the difficulty was going to be like.

I believe everything i've changed are the type of changes that get rechecked and changed immediately when loading a memcard save. savestates are different though. I think even the Asmodeus Crest price gets rechecked whenever loading a save. I'm not entirely sure about that though and if you find something opposite i wish you could inform on it here. Have fun!

On 9/27/2022 at 11:03 AM, zedorfed66 said:

I believe everything i've changed are the type of changes that get rechecked and changed immediately when loading a memcard save. savestates are different though. I think even the Asmodeus Crest price gets rechecked whenever loading a save. I'm not entirely sure about that though and if you find something opposite i wish you could inform on it here. Have fun!

Thank you, does this info apply to your Shadow Hearts 3 mod too?

On 30/09/2022 at 6:05 AM, macanu said:

Thank you, does this info apply to your Shadow Hearts 3 mod too?

Yes since that mod is even more simple than Covenant one. I simply altered enemy stats in that one. I'm terribly sorry about the stop to my modding efforts. There's room for improvements in these. Competitive online games keep taking all my freetime right now. I'd like to get back to modding again at some point.

This is somewhat important announcement from me:

I'll be getting back to modding after being sucked into the toxic soup that is the popular online games. I'll not be stopping them or anything but I'll be putting at least 1 hour everyday for my modding efforts from now on. It really wakes me up after looking up my mediafire stats. You guys are really downloading my mods. I feel like I have responsibility to perfect them as long as I'm still interested in the games and I still can. Thanks for all the interest you've shown in my creations over the years. I'll start working on my Shadow Hearts 1 improvement mod and then get to SH: FtNW.

I take back my previous statement. My life's not in the state where I can assure I'll be able to keep up the pace with regular modding and testing. Therefore regardless how I see my mods pique interest I'll not be able to assure their progress. I'm very sorry but my life's in that kinda state without going into details.

Well I was working on new version afterall. And got it finished too! v6.50 is important quality of life update to my Covenant mod. Here's roughly what was changed:

- Tanky random encounter enemies (the ones that would take 3-4 turns to finish) have gained extra 25 agility, making them formidable monsters that're not simply health sponges anymore. This change makes sense since these enemies take space from 3 squishier enemies.

- With the change to tank foes The Mutant Apes have gained some stats. It also serves to show the player that these guys are serious. This change takes place after beating Terada and playing through the training lab section.

- Now dungeons from 'Wine Cellar' to 'Otherworld' give 2x exp, soul and cash and 'Nihonbashi' to 'Vessel' 3x. In previous versions there were some places in between that gave more but that's not the case anymore.

- Quality of life changes to enemy stats to make them better overall (random encounter enemies and bosses).

- The recommended level for the Paris Subway Tunnel boss is back to 8. I feel it's better this way to gain more cash to buy some items before the boss.

- Seals are back! I felt it was a bit rough choice to disable them. However the game balance may be broken if they're farmed and used too much. However it's player's choice entirely.

That's about it. I hope you enjoy this new version people!

Edited by zedorfed66