Sign in to follow this  
zedorfed66

Shadow Hearts: Covenant NTSC - Godslayer v4.0

60 posts in this topic

I beat the mod! It took 90 minutes for Yuri to punch the final boss with Eternal Key and the weakest weapon, lol.

Overall, good work, although I think changing the order/difficulty of the sidequests would be good. Neam Ruins was probably the most annoying one, since it had the hardest enemies, hardest navigation, long times away from a save point (I played on a real PS2, so no save states), and the games forces you to use two characters that may be severely under leveled. In my playthough, I think was naturally around 67 to 69 on my mains and around 54 on my offs by the time I finished the other sidequest dungeons, so there was a lot of grinding to do. Alternatively, making it easy to grind just before Neam Ruins would also be fine.

Additionally, if you use Rage + Energy Charge + Mind's Eye + Third Key on technical ring (Lucia's 100% crit is actually unnecessary), you oneshot bosses, so maybe the post-game bosses need more health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19.6.2018 at 8:49 PM, elltacko said:

I beat the mod! It took 90 minutes for Yuri to punch the final boss with Eternal Key and the weakest weapon, lol.

Overall, good work, although I think changing the order/difficulty of the sidequests would be good. Neam Ruins was probably the most annoying one, since it had the hardest enemies, hardest navigation, long times away from a save point (I played on a real PS2, so no save states), and the games forces you to use two characters that may be severely under leveled. In my playthough, I think was naturally around 67 to 69 on my mains and around 54 on my offs by the time I finished the other sidequest dungeons, so there was a lot of grinding to do. Alternatively, making it easy to grind just before Neam Ruins would also be fine.

Additionally, if you use Rage + Energy Charge + Mind's Eye + Third Key on technical ring (Lucia's 100% crit is actually unnecessary), you oneshot bosses, so maybe the post-game bosses need more health.

Out of the optional dungeons the Neam Ruins is supposed to be done last. Also this mod is scaled to normal ring. Using Technical Ring is basically the easy mode if you are good at hitting the strike areas. I'm gonna release a new version of this mod in a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again. It's me with a new version (v3.33) of the mod. In v3.33 I have disabled the option to buy the Spikes accessory. I've been trying to make the normal enemies more exciting and the Spikes accessory works directly against it, not giving the enemies the chance to combo. There are also other things that I don't like about Spikes. Guarding becomes meaningless, enemies' status effects don't register, the Mutant Apes don't have Spikes equipped, making the Shoki enemies one shot them (it shouldn't be that way) among other things. With v3.33 I also upped the normal enemies' HP so the player can't one shot enemies unless they use right elements. There are also enemies that are tankier than some others so you can no longer one shot them. I'll be focusing on other projects now that I got this patch out. Thanks for all support guys. I'll be updating this mod if I see something's amiss, but I'm pretty confident with how the mod is at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I would agree with removing spikes also because the buff management was brutal if an ally died and the the first dungeon of Disk 2 was really brutal because enemies had 9x or 15x hit so without spikes, you'd die, and with spikes you would go berserk, along with probably underleveled party members.

I also remember there were cheesy strategies involving the AI on late game bosses because they had an ally and they would prioritize forming a combo formation with them instead of attacking you, so if you left the enemy alive, they would waste about half their turns.

Oh, even if you cannot one-shot enemies, Gathering into AOE into AOE into AOE still would work very, very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3.9.2018 at 8:40 PM, elltacko said:

Yeah, I would agree with removing spikes also because the buff management was brutal if an ally died and the the first dungeon of Disk 2 was really brutal because enemies had 9x or 15x hit so without spikes, you'd die, and with spikes you would go berserk, along with probably underleveled party members.

I also remember there were cheesy strategies involving the AI on late game bosses because they had an ally and they would prioritize forming a combo formation with them instead of attacking you, so if you left the enemy alive, they would waste about half their turns.

Oh, even if you cannot one-shot enemies, Gathering into AOE into AOE into AOE still would work very, very well.

Yep you are right. However you don't get the 'Gathering' spell until very late in the game. I hope you like my mod for this game. I'm working on From the New World right now. It's gonna be my next completed project. After that I'm probably gonna do the 1st Shadow Hearts to complete the trilogy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello fellow Godslayers.

It's me with a somewhat important update to this mod. I've done some precise testing on the enemies' power levels and found out more monsters could one shot the party members than I initially thought. What I did with v4.0 was lower the enemies' physical damage so they won't be able to one shot anyone if they happen to get a lucky critical strike as long as the player is not too far from the set level.

In addition I adjusted their magic power based on their physical stats. The magic damage they deal is pretty much the same as before. These changes are not made to remove challenge from the mod, but only to balance things out and make the game more enjoyable. I also balanced the early bosses based on the changes I did to the random encounters. None of the bosses after 'Mother Filaria' were altered, with the only exception the 'Fuujin & Raijin' boss near the end. They have slightly lower physical damage now. With that said they will combo you to death if you don't have defense up.

Also, the 'Gigafilaria' gatekeepers now have slightly lower hp, so those that can deal high damage will be able to one shot them.

Give my updated mod a try if you feel like it. I will now be focusing on From the New World where I will be making changes to the normal enemies similarly as I have done here.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are castor and pollux supposed to be so buffed up in this or do i have a bug or maybe i'm supposed to grind some levels? i got there with everyone at level 7, and first attempt each of of them took 3 turns consecutively(6 consecutive total), comboing and killing off two characters without much trouble before i got a single turn, leaving me with only yuri and karin. after yuri and karin take their turns, they again had 6 turns which was basically a game over. tried another time and it was a little better it was more like 4 turns at the start and then 4-6 turns after my characters got a turn, which was still pretty brutal. i think even if i had all my characters spamming luck talisman/healing items/cure they'd still be out damaging all my healing.  When i get some more free time i will try again after hitting level 8. I took the water dress on the logic that hail breeze is the best level 1 spell and i though I't give gapeto a bit of an edge in the boss fight since I could focus down the water one with karin's fire sword arts, yuri's fire fusion rage, and gapetto using the fire crest magic, blanca healing.  

 

edit 1: as a side note, one of my first subway encounter was an with an enma(?) with like 5 rats i think too. and i think they all got to go before i did. was incredibly painful Heh. it seemed alright after that, with only one more particularly brutal "you are surrounded" encounter

 

Edit 2: wow, what a difference a level(8) makes. that little extra hit point buffer and probably one or two extra turns i gained made all the difference in the world.

Edited by vhatever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1.8.2019 at 2:03 PM, vhatever said:

So are castor and pollux supposed to be so buffed up in this or do i have a bug or maybe i'm supposed to grind some levels? i got there with everyone at level 7, and first attempt each of of them took 3 turns consecutively(6 consecutive total), comboing and killing off two characters without much trouble before i got a single turn, leaving me with only yuri and karin. after yuri and karin take their turns, they again had 6 turns which was basically a game over. tried another time and it was a little better it was more like 4 turns at the start and then 4-6 turns after my characters got a turn, which was still pretty brutal. i think even if i had all my characters spamming luck talisman/healing items/cure they'd still be out damaging all my healing.  When i get some more free time i will try again after hitting level 8. I took the water dress on the logic that hail breeze is the best level 1 spell and i though I't give gapeto a bit of an edge in the boss fight since I could focus down the water one with karin's fire sword arts, yuri's fire fusion rage, and gapetto using the fire crest magic, blanca healing.  

 

edit 1: as a side note, one of my first subway encounter was an with an enma(?) with like 5 rats i think too. and i think they all got to go before i did. was incredibly painful Heh. it seemed alright after that, with only one more particularly brutal "you are surrounded" encounter

 

Edit 2: wow, what a difference a level(8) makes. that little extra hit point buffer and probably one or two extra turns i gained made all the difference in the world.

Hey, thanks for giving my mods a go :D yep you are supposed to be 8 levelled before that boss. And since both of them are able to use magic it's better to have Gepetto with the non-elemental dress. That's actually the first boss that has significantly higher agility. You will be needing enough Thera items in the bosses to come along with Talismans (in late bosses you have powerful healing magic so that's not as prevalent then). I suggest you keep several save files just in case for there will be segments in the game where you're trapped on boss and can't buy items before beating them (one wouldn't necessarily notice these points in the game since the game is so easy). Let me know if you need help on anything. I'll be glad to help ;P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ronlyn said:

@zedorfed66 quick question: Can you use this mod with a undub version of the game?

Hey again Ronlyn. I hope your weekend is going smoothly.

There might be a way if the version is NTSC-U. It all depends whether the code sections are in exact same places in the game images. Even if they're not you should be able to paste the edited changes into the undub version if both the original and undub version are same region (in this case NTSC-U). However in order to do so you will need to compare the 'orig. unmodded Covenant' and 'unmodded undub Covenant' to find the changes between them. I think you will need a program called "delta maker" in order to do this. Once delta maker has created you a file that is used to change 'orig. unmodded Covenant' into 'unmodded undub Covenant' you can do that even with the 'orig. modded Covenant'. The change that occurs will not affect the modded values, and even if they're not in same places in the code they will be moved automatically. I think the program you need is delta maker. I have been modding FFX International undub and I'm able to transfer the modded values the same way between the 2.

Edit: I think the program is called "delta patcher". Haven't been using that in a while but if you need help in this matter I can get more deep into it.

Edited by zedorfed66
text edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this