TheRebalancer

Regarding Orwellian Nightmares and the Mystery Egg

25 posts in this topic

Let's insert some humor into this Orwellian nightmare: QUICK SHOVE IT DOWN THE MEMORY HOLE! We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

59 minutes ago, TheRebalancer said:

Let's insert some humor into this Orwellian nightmare: QUICK SHOVE IT DOWN THE MEMORY HOLE! We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

BTB can correct me if I'm wrong, but your other post was redacted because it contained possible spoilers.  This isn't some 1984 shit, it's common decency and consideration for those who have yet to play the game.  If you used a spoiler tag it might not have been necessary to redact your post.

I've been keeping an eye on your posts and they're a strange mix between incoherent and condescending.  As you were answered in your post about where the forum rules are that this place is not toxic, I'd advise you to not be toxic yourself.  I believe you're the first new member here to get smacked with a lot of negative rep, and that's a very rare thing.

That said, do some self reflection and tone down the way you post and I'm sure you can turn things around.

Once upon a time games had hidden items that did hidden things. BNW does this because it's fun. Don't share the details (however you learn what they do) on the forum. It'll get deleted every time. 

It's a hard tradition, but it's a traiditon nonetheless. And I'm sure the theme of it is to not divulge it in the official forums. Even when people will post explaining their experiences, they'll implicitely respect that rule. It's a little part of the BNW culture.

11 hours ago, ninjasdf said:

BTB can correct me if I'm wrong, but your other post was redacted because it contained possible spoilers.  This isn't some 1984 shit, it's common decency and consideration for those who have yet to play the game.  If you used a spoiler tag it might not have been necessary to redact your post.

I've been keeping an eye on your posts and they're a strange mix between incoherent and condescending.  As you were answered in your post about where the forum rules are that this place is not toxic, I'd advise you to not be toxic yourself.  I believe you're the first new member here to get smacked with a lot of negative rep, and that's a very rare thing.

That said, do some self reflection and tone down the way you post and I'm sure you can turn things around.

It was removed rather than spoilered... Ask a simple question get a simple answer is normal conversation. There is no "strange mix" there.

I never pay attention to karma: it's like Who's Line is it Anyways (where the games are made up and the points don't matter). Partaking is just asking for ganks.

@Mishrak that argument can be reductio ad absurdum'd: why tell the player anything? They can have "fun" grinding out tests to reverse engineer the algorithms themselves. See timed attack and roll forumlae for Dark Souls to see it in action: the average player just shrugs and asks the guy doing the tests. 99% don't bother testing for themselves. They either look it up (like this thread is asking), or they complain about it. I prefer to be helpful (and funny) rather than pull things down.

@Hart-Hunt first of all I love the icon. It makes me hear "POWER OVERWHELMING" every time I see it. I figured it was a tradition thing. Other forums have threads like "common abbreviations", etc. In the few forums I am more than a passing member, I'm often the person who makes/adds heavily to them. I'll read any you point me to. But I'm noob, so I don't know any here yet.

Edited by TheRebalancer

2 hours ago, TheRebalancer said:

@Mishrak that argument can be reductio ad absurdum'd: why tell the player anything? They can have "fun" grinding out tests to reverse engineer the algorithms themselves. See timed attack and roll forumlae for Dark Souls to see it in action: the average player just shrugs and asks the guy doing the tests. 99% don't bother testing for themselves. They either look it up (like this thread is asking), or they complain about it. I prefer to be helpful (and funny) rather than pull things down.

This is completely irrelevant.  The bottom line is BNW has stuff hidden, BTB doesn't want the details shared all over the forum, so he deleted the offending part of your post.  End of story.

17 hours ago, Mishrak said:

Once upon a time games had hidden items that did hidden things. BNW does this because it's fun. Don't share the details (however you learn what they do) on the forum. It'll get deleted every time. 

The very thing that made those secrets fun back then was sharing them with your friends at school / other people in the community and such.

17 hours ago, ninjasdf said:

BTB can correct me if I'm wrong, but your other post was redacted because it contained possible spoilers.

I'd love to know how someone unwilling lo learn more about the mystery egg would click on a thread topic with mystery egg in the title.

If BTB were to respond to posts of this type with either playful banter or a hissy fit that would be a completely different story, but to completely remove the information goes past the line I draw between a community joke held by tradition and an actual inconvenience for the players. The thing is, from the long time I have been following BTB posts back in Insane Difficulty I believe he-s taking this less seriously than the admins and regular posters here.

Now, this is still a non-issue, people can still post this info in other forums. The admins of this subforum can forcely regulate it in any way they want and players can choose to join the community based on that, but having The Rebalancer's perfectly reasonable posts be identified as "toxic", by an admin no less, speaks more, and not in a good way, of what the "traditional" posting etiquette is around here. Just letting you know.

Now bring in that bad rep.

9 hours ago, TheRebalancer said:

I can and will edit your posts to make you sing "I'm a little teapot" if you're an ass though. You're a guest here, my man.  We don't know you yet. Coming in here guns blazing won't earn you any kind of desirable place here. This is our house. 

Time you started acting like it.

Edited by Kyrios

3 hours ago, JKnox said:

Now, this is still a non-issue, people can still post this info in other forums. The admins of this subforum can forcely regulate it in any way they want and players can choose to join the community based on that, but having The Rebalancer's perfectly reasonable posts be identified as "toxic", by an admin no less, speaks more, and not in a good way, of what the "traditional" posting etiquette is around here. Just letting you know.

I'm not sure if that's his first post, but from ninjas tone I don't think it is. Even if it is, if you're toxic, we'll let you know. It's how we've always been. 

BTB let's other people bludgeon his disruptive members rather than do it himself.

Sorry for the double post. The quote formatting is troublesome for editing on mobile.

@JKnox You made a completely understandable argument if this was TheRebalancer's first post.  I doubt many here would downvote your argument.  The key piece that I think you're missing is this isn't his first post.  He has basically come on board and complained that BNW is wrong because he can't do what he wants to with it.

If he complained about the removal and mentioned it could've been spoilered instead it would've been completely reasonable.  What's funny is the OP even asked for spoiler tags.  This board isn't above sharing secrets and info, just do it the right way.  In response, TheRebalancer decided to make some insulting metaphors instead.  If we really rolled 1984 style you'd both be gone for disagreeing and all history of your presence removed.  After all, 2 + 2 = 5.

@TheRebalancer You can disregard rep.  That's fine.  It is far from the end all be all here and it really isn't overly important.  However, it works as a general guidepost for how a member interacts with others.  What my original statement to you meant was that you've been rubbing a lot of people the wrong way in order for them to actively downrep you the way they have.  This isn't a circlejerk where people try to farm rep.  Isn't that serious.  But try to have some more situational awareness.  Sometimes it's not everyone else that's wrong.  Sometimes it's ourselves.

55 minutes ago, ninjasdf said:

@JKnox You made a completely understandable argument if this was TheRebalancer's first post.  I doubt many here would downvote your argument.  The key piece that I think you're missing is this isn't his first post.  He has basically come on board and complained that BNW is wrong because he can't do what he wants to with it.

If he complained about the removal and mentioned it could've been spoilered instead it would've been completely reasonable.  However, he decided to make some insulting metaphors instead.  If we really rolled 1984 style you'd both be gone for disagreeing and all history of your presence removed.  After all, 2 + 2 = 5.

Since you mentioned it, I just glanced through his post history and none of it seems hostile. Unpopular? It could, but it has been labeled as toxic in this very same thread. Unless there's some pms I'm not seeing, this doesn't paint a good picture. Regarding your "insulting methapors" comment, in a time when everything and anything can be considered offensive I think you should know better. Considering his post was just literally erased, his joke was on topic, and so was BTB was in line with this rom hack's culture by removing the post but leaving the first word behind a la Candlejack meme, and not actually acting outraged at someone sharing the info. It's always easy to believe I'm regulating language on the good side of morals when I also assume I have a perfect understanding of what make language hostile, and believe me when I say that no one does.

2 hours ago, Kyrios said:

I can and will edit your posts to make you sing "I'm a little teapot" if you're an ass though. You're a guest here, my man.  We don't know you yet. Coming in here guns blazing won't earn you any kind of desirable place here. This is our house. 

Time you started acting like it.

And apparently I came here "guns blazing" with my previous post despite just giving my view on the complaints the previous poster presented, and apparently I missed an unspoken or unclear rule that would have allowed me to present that point in a manner that wouldn't have been taken as aggressive. I used to post in Insane Difficulty long ago, eventually became inactive and still don't find myself motivated enough to become active here. The only feedback I wanted to give is that if, at any point in the future, you find yourself going through the site analytics, trying to understand why the community side of the website isn't growing as fast as the hack downloading side is, just know that tone policing is detrimental to any online community. Hope it serves as food for thoughts at least.

Edited by JKnox

53 minutes ago, JKnox said:

And apparently I came here "guns blazing" with my previous post despite just giving my view on the complaints the previous poster presented, and apparently I missed an unspoken or unclear rule that would have allowed me to present that point in a manner that wouldn't have been taken as aggressive. I used to post in Insane Difficulty long ago, eventually became inactive and still don't find myself motivated enough to become active here. The only feedback I wanted to give is that if, at any point in the future, you find yourself going through the site analytics, trying to understand why the community side of the website isn't growing as fast as the hack downloading side is, just know that tone policing is detrimental to any online community. Hope it serves as food for thoughts at least.

I may or may not have confused you for the other guy.

2 hours ago, ninjasdf said:

@JKnox The key piece that I think you're missing is this isn't his first post.  He has basically come on board and complained that BNW is wrong because he can't do what he wants to with it.

If he complained about the removal and mentioned it could've been spoilered instead it would've been completely reasonable.  What's funny is the OP even asked for spoiler tags.

@TheRebalancer You can disregard rep.  That's fine.  It is far from the end all be all here and it really isn't overly important.  However, it works as a general guidepost for how a member interacts with others.

It was my, um 3rd post? But claiming that I've "complained that BNW is wrong" is a straight lie. Try in vain all you want to find where I said so. You won't because you know it doesn't exist either. You may, however be exaggerating. But if you're exaggerating negatively about someone else ... then that's more guns blazing than anyone I've said.

I only found the spoilers button after I went back to edit my second post. [spoilers] is different in a lot of boards. I would have found it very reasonable if the response was simply edited to be spoilered.

One of the nicer mods asked for some self reflection. So here's what karma is on a boards: its an unsigned variance measurement. But that doesn't tell me anything non-obvious. The reason its unsigned is because most people are true neutral alignment. This is probably the most insightful thing I've said on this board. I'll hop on dischord and explain it if you would like to hear the logic behind that result.

2 hours ago, ninjasdf said:

TheRebalancer decided to make some insulting metaphors instead.  If we really rolled 1984 style you'd both be gone for disagreeing and all history of your presence removed.

It was humor ninja. But if you don't find it funny, I'm getting a bit sick of no one quoting what they are talking about (as I always do) and then attributing things that don't exist. Feel free to ban me if you want to feel better about it not being 1984. You can delete the other two extremely detailed, helpful posts I've made. Then you can feel better that someone dared joke in your empire.

1 hour ago, JKnox said:

Since you mentioned it, I just glanced through his post history and none of it seems hostile. Unpopular? It could, but it has been labeled as toxic in this very same thread. Unless there's some pms I'm not seeing, this doesn't paint a good picture. Regarding your "insulting methapors" comment, in a time when everything and anything can be considered offensive I think you should know better. Considering his post was just literally erased, his joke was on topic

You hit the nail on the head. I've only invested half a dozen real posts here. If it stays oddly generalized and flame-y I can go with very little time lost. We'll see if the third strike comes. I know there's atleast one nice admin here.

The only PM I've sent has a reply of, in full, "Oh, that's neat. Thanks." when someone pointed out that this thread had been edited rather than spoilered. That was the only reason I even knew to look. Most boards I use don't even allow admin editing of posts so that way they bear no responsibility for what posters post. AGAIN, I'm fine with it in principal, but the stealth was surprising (and humorous). 

Edit: I FIGURED OUT THE QUOTING SYSTEM. Just don't "fight" the formatting. Use the multiquote add in the tiny "Quote 1 post" button pops up instead. Most forums' multiquote is kinda bad but this one is actually pretty good. The only downside is that you can't "do things manually" very easily. I wonder if I can delete my old posts to deflate the post count to its normal  6 or so.

Edited by TheRebalancer

17 minutes ago, TheRebalancer said:

Edit: I FIGURED OUT THE QUOTING SYSTEM. Just don't "fight" the formatting. Use the multiquote add in the tiny "Quote 1 post" button pops up instead. Most forums' multiquote is kinda bad but this one is actually pretty good. The only downside is that you can't "do things manually" very easily. I wonder if I can delete my old posts to deflate the post count to its normal  6 or so.

The quoting system is fine outside of mobile, where you can't move the quote boxes. It's a learning curve, though.

(I'm not on mobile) but I think its because this boards is "fancier" than a lot of others.

For instance, the numbering and the lettering of the thread URLs is independent. So you can typo it and still be correct! That's cool.

Since everyone is just forum warrioring it up right now and swinging their big epeens around, and this is so far off topic, I'm locking this thread.  If you want to have a discussion on forum staff and moderation lets do it elsewhere.

Edited by Mishrak

9 minutes ago, TheRebalancer said:

(I'm not on mobile) but I think its because this boards is "fancier" than a lot of others.

That's exactly what it is. There's a learning curve.

Respecting the lock now. :pipeguy:

@JKnox This is your one and only warning: Creating a dummy account for the purposes of double dipping on neg rep will land you in a place you do not want to be. The rep you have changed with this alternate account will be reverted and the account will be banned. Next time it won't be just the alternate account.

ZhTSIhh.png

Edit: I also unlocked the thread for the sake of dialogue.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:59 PM, Tenkarider said:

Oh, that was kind... If that would had happen in FF6Hacking.com, Madsiur would grant him no more future in the community

There were a few members of the staff who wanted me to do just that.

11 hours ago, Kyrios said:

There were a few members of the staff who wanted me to do just that.

I'm glad you didn't. Banning over abusing fake internet points seems a bit much, especially for a first offense.

Well, again, it's not *what* you do so much as how you do it. If you really want to boil this down to its core, the only thing we're really going to ban anyone for is being a complete asshole.