raics

Feedback and Suggestions

599 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Taylor_778 said:

Voltare joined my party as a knight with divine magic and the heal spell learned but he can't cast it.  Something wrong there?

It's fine, knights can't heal anymore but they can still use status removal spells, just ignore it. That will happen a fair deal, you'll recruit units with skills and spells they can't use until I do a cosmetic pass that removes them completely, makes no sense to do that before it's fully decided which class can use what.

So I've noticed a couple other instances of the AI attempting to activate skills, but maybe 5% of they time they fidget and nothing happens, like they changed their mind. In this case it was an archer changing her mind on what I assume was a double shot prep on the dorgalua fight.

Curious about a random thing. Is there a blond version of Azelstan in there? Just saw his ending for the first time, and it's kind of random that his hair changed colors for one cutscene, got me wondering.

Edited by coffee potato

Yeah, the AI is plain bad and not much I can do about it currently.

Blond Azelstan? Maybe, I haven't really tampered with his sprite much and the game uses a different configuration for cutscenes.

Paramenter buffs and debuffs like Fortify and Breached don't seem to have that much of an impact, but I'm also not for flatly making them stronger because it's something the players makes much more use of than enemies, and the game is easy enough as it is. Just something to keep in mind, I guess.

Utility spells, the ones Warlock specializes in, are still way too badly distributed. Dark and Earth are leagues better than the other elements. Water is specially bad, because its unique spells are a wide AoE Poison (which currently only tickles) and a Major Heal that instead of getting the same bonus healing, heals poison (which currently only tickles). Meanwhile, Earth can take out an unit every turn with petrifog or slow several, and dark can charm an enemy that's about to unload a finisher, or just Paradigm Shift that slow-ass terror knight.

If you can't find a way to improve Poison, I recommend just removing it entirely so the AI stops wasting turns with it.

Edited by Valenhil

Right, it's the way damage calculation works, for strengthen, breach and similar to do anything you need to have a stat difference so fortify is much more effective if you use it on squishy allies like mages, archers or ninjas, it won't do much for a knight and strengthen will empower your berserker much more than a ninja or archer. It's easy to apply them at least and they have a high duration, even better that they aren't too broken because AI apparently doesn't know that buffs are beneficial and changing that or the damage calculation is beyond me. Especially AI, it doesn't seem to have fixed algorithms to use certain skills and spells, it tries to identify what they do instead.

I'll tamper a bit more with status durations, especially for charm and hard disables like charm, petrify or stop, there aren't enough status effects to distribute them perfectly and what they do is sometimes too different. Doesn't seem that bad, though, most elements have a selling point, lightning has tp charge, ice has stop which is straight better than petrify, healing is pretty exclusive and that slow/rt delay combo is kinda nifty so water isn't badly off either. I'll change poison to, say, 5% HP per turn if I find out how.

Until it's discovered, would it maybe make sense to replace Poison with Envenom for the water version? That mess seems to hurt a bit. By the way, with the Cursed Weapon patch coming up, will that break anything if I have several created cursed weapons already due to the unique stuff, or should it be fine? Just not sure if I should be selling them off for safety's sake.

5% is pretty close to envenom, which is still pretty harmless due to how the game is set up. 10 or 20 damage aren't all that different when what matters is whether or not you can get a pick before the cleric's turn. I think the ideal would be an increasing amount per tick, and then limit long durations to effects like Poison, Bind, and Stun.

War Dances could also use some love. I've put Art of War on my Lord and although I use Decoy, Benumb, or Leaping Monkey pretty much every fight, I've yet to use a single War Dance.

Edited by Valenhil

39 minutes ago, coffee potato said:

Until it's discovered, would it maybe make sense to replace Poison with Envenom for the water version? That mess seems to hurt a bit. By the way, with the Cursed Weapon patch coming up, will that break anything if I have several created cursed weapons already due to the unique stuff, or should it be fine? Just not sure if I should be selling them off for safety's sake.

It shouldn't break anything, if I don't fill those slots with something else you might even keep them.

I suppose there's no point in mucking around and replacing poison with something else if it's on the rework list, and it isn't 100% defunct after all. If it turns out I can't improve it we'll think of something.

My suggestion of removing poison spells was meant as a temporary solution to the AI wasting turns with it, as currently even doing nothing is better than casting poison, but sometimes it'll prefer poisoning over attacking just because it can hit 2 people.

12 hours ago, coffee potato said:

What's the over/under on getting the Cursed Fusil eventually replaced with a Nunchuk Gun?

I'd need to do a lot of testing for that and it's a gimmick so it likely won't come soon.

Is there any way to implement drops being unstealable? Seems....less than likely on many levels. Gotta ask though. 

Also, another curiosity, but if health goes above 999, does it just reset, or do the thing of just going down when it's under it? Blatantly curious if these 1000+ damage pistol shots could ever visually show up. 

I don't think you can steal drops, it should be a separate table for stealing and a separate one for drops.

Haven't tried it, but I think 999 is the actual cap, not a displayed cap.

Oh, I meant like where You kill the guy for the 50th time, he finally drops that hand cannon You wanted, only for the guy next to him to walk up, steal the bag, and presumably flash a very low resolution middle finger. 

Ah, that, no, can't see how that could be done. Heh, maybe if bags were obstacles but you could gloriously wall yourself in like that :)

Oh Hell Yes, that would be amazing. Speaking of, were You planning on tweaking Barricade at some point? Seems like Barricades and Pumpkins are the AI's first choice in dungeon redecorating currently (Minus the edible pumpkins, though maybe that could restore more? Seems like it needs something to give it a kick over Meditate).

200_s.gif

If I can, sure. It would be pretty sweet if bags could be a height 1 obstacle so you could even use them as a stepping stone, like monsters, but I have no idea if that could be done.

Awesome! Could be thinking about it all wrong, but in theory....it's a sprite that takes space and has attribues to be deleted and picked up, and monsters have that step over thing, and presumably there's just a list of attributes that get checked off.....OK, I'm completely talking out my rear end completely blind on this one, but that idea sounds like it would be incredible! Is there a way to just make the bag drop on the other end of the map or something?

Depends how objects get defined, if loot bags share the same table with stuff like shadow clones or shrubs it's probably simple enough, if not, things get complicated.

Out of curiosity, I have another awful idea for ya. A wonderful, awful idea. Namely, if there's a green version of Byrhindr in the sprites there, maybe there could be a weaponized Christmas tree!

A good thing it wasn't halloween recently or you'd be asking for some pumpkins in the game. No... wait...

But yeah, christmas is almost upon us and all the MMOs out there will have christmas skin sales, events and whatnot, a good thing this game doesn't resemble an MMO even a tiniest bit. The real problem is that white sprites change very slightly with palette swap, so there isn't a green Brynhildr, well, it would be kinda greenish maybe, as if it had one too many cups of eggnog, but there likely is a very nice green version of Nephrite sword.

By the way, there's a pretty cool sword sprite that the game doesn't use for some reason, we'll squeeze that in somewhere if I find a battle sprite too, or at least one that resembles it enough.

Awesome, can't wait to see it! It isn't the odd old kol Sprite for the matsukaze or something by chance? 

*Anymore. It did have a lot of MMO stuff, You fixed it!

Please no more pumpkins :S

Also, are all the slots for unarmed attacks taken? Is there an option for giving Archers and Fusilliers some manner of Shiv/Bayonet or something to give them some nominal counter ability when using larger weapons? 

Edited by coffee potato

There's an unarmed slot with some crappy attack that I could appropriate but it's hard making those things scale well if the class doesn't have monster-class ATK growth, I wouldn't be able to hit a sweet spot where it doesn't do too much damage early on and sucks later.

Yeah, pumpkinheads can become songsters.

On a separate note, seems I won't be able to use those extra cursed weapon slots after all, the item names are generated when snapping so they don't exist in game files, they're on your game save instead so nothing can be done unless I discover how to change the addressing. I've still reworked the original cursed weapons into static items so you can't snap them anymore and I can alter their stats, we'll see if it works out any better.