raics

Feedback and Suggestions

599 posts in this topic

are we supposed to be able to load our game with the 89 patch?, or do we need to make a new game file? my game just crashes whenever any baldur items shows on my screen. lm playing on psp btw

It's a PSP thing, it has low tolerance for addressing acrobatics, it will take me a few days to make it compatible.

Edited by raics

36 minutes ago, Lyrinix said:

Can't seem to apply the ppf file for 89a. Keep getting a "Unable to open specified PPF file" error. Am I alone in this? =/

That one usually appears if the target iso isn't the right size, the readme lists which iso size is the correct one for each patch and what to try if it doesn't match. Alternatively (and preferably) you can just use the version from moddb, it's a more reliable patching method I can't host here because of terms of use.

would it be fitting to change the category name of the (2) swords to great swords? just like what you did with the blowguns category

1 hour ago, jullian29 said:

would it be fitting to change the category name of the (2) swords to great swords? just like what you did with the blowguns category

It would be fitting, but I've got space issues in name section and greatswords can't fit

Heya! Love most of what you've done, but at one point you removed resurrection spells -- and I can see why, it's definitely made me reconsider my strategies and play differently! That said... would it not be okay to give some classes the option to resurrect without sacrificing themselves (Relay) but at a hefty cost? Something like 200 TP + a titanic RT cost + reduced range, I dunno. With the current enemy AI where, if able, they pile on every possible status effect on you (which makes Earth, Wind and Ice mages an absolute pain to deal with -- whereas Water and Fire are kind of laughable) it shouldn't be too OP to have a class able to provide a res like that. Maybe even like a 'nerfed', brings-you-back-at-25%-hp res? Just a thought!

Besides that, I feel like the mages are a lot more in-line with each other right now - but I can't really 'get' where the new Spellblade is supposed to fit in. They do a little bit of everything, but having lost access to healing, Conserve MP and their mediocre stat spread they feel a little... off? They're only a bit tankier than most mages, but that seems to be about it (and Relay just leaves a bad taste in my mouth on principle). Do you think it'd be prudent to give them the ability to cast the secondary buffs for each element (Battering Ram for Ice, Boon of Swiftness for Divine, etc)? I feel like that'd help reinforce their identity of mid-range support mages that need to get relatively close to make use of their best spells (no Meditate, but Convert MP!). Anyways, keep up the great work!

I probably won't bring back straight resurrections, warlock's Sacrifice got a small buff in my current working version but it will still knock the user down. There will be an option for handling multiple status effects in next patch without being a cleric or familiar available to some classes.

I'm fairly happy with the way spellblades perform, they're tanky enough, can deal decent but unimpressive damage with both attacks and spells and have a good utility value. They will get a few indirect utility buffs and I might give them access to more buff spells, though it will skew their spell selection towards certain elements but that isn't necessarily a bad thing as some other classes do it too.

Hm, I suppose that's true... Ice, Divine and Dark are currently the only elements with more than one buff spell. Boon of Swiftness alone can make Divine a must-have for Spellblades, but I wonder how they'd do with the others? Maaaybe it'd balance out if they had one debuff spell, too?

Also Lighting, which is good because of Valkyries. But I'm not giving them Boon of Swiftness or Paradigm Shift, too good, there will be other options.

Edited by raics

Also, could Living Corpse bugged out or something? In the base game its only apparent use is to make zombie units, but within the patch when you try targeting any dead ally with it, the hit rate is always 0%. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the new Evacuate mechanics? 

Edited by Shirokirigoe

Hey 2 questions,

1. Is there an upcoming patch or I am safe to test this one out?

2. What are you using to mod the game specifically, is there ptahcer software i could use for myself or are you doing some fancy modding way over my paygrade.

1. There's always an upcoming patch, the next one will be some more finetuning of spells abilities and stats most likely and there doesn't seem to be any major bugs with this one anymore so you can go ahead.

2. Just a hex editor, there aren't any specialized tools. Not really complicated but it's tedious as hell.

Another question, from fooling around in the Palace of the Dead! Did you change anything about spells/abilities that exorcise as a 'bonus' in the base game? Namely, Heavenly Judge I/II and Requiem - I figured that the former may have been part of some balancing overhaul, but Requiem does state that it (sometimes?) exorcises undead - but so far I haven't had any luck with either killing undead with it (their remains still stay) or using it on stilled undead (it misses). Was the Draconic Light magic changed this way as well? 

Hi there! I've been trying this mod out for a bit and the sheer number of changes and quality of life improvements is astounding. I've been trying to make the new Spellblade work (since rune fencers were my favourite vanilla class) but they just don't seem to have a unique niche or role that I can utilize in my team. That's when I had an idea for a unique skill that would fit the dual nature of their class and grant them a unique form of combat versatility: TP Infusion. I'm not sure if it's possible to modify an existing skill to do this, but since Spellblades can already convert TP into MP, why not the other way around as well? This would allow them to (indirectly) use MP to power physical finishers, and use TP to power magical spells, giving them a unique play style.

Edited by Rucession

9 hours ago, Shirokirigoe said:

Another question, from fooling around in the Palace of the Dead! Did you change anything about spells/abilities that exorcise as a 'bonus' in the base game? Namely, Heavenly Judge I/II and Requiem - I figured that the former may have been part of some balancing overhaul, but Requiem does state that it (sometimes?) exorcises undead - but so far I haven't had any luck with either killing undead with it (their remains still stay) or using it on stilled undead (it misses). Was the Draconic Light magic changed this way as well? 

The only two skills that can exorcise undead on kill are currently Crystal Pumpkin and Requiem, both have a fixed 50% chance to do it. There will be some improvements to exorcising options in next patch.

5 hours ago, Rucession said:

Hi there! I've been trying this mod out for a bit and the sheer number of changes and quality of life improvements is astounding. I've been trying to make the new Spellblade work (since rune fencers were my favourite vanilla class) but they just don't seem to have a unique niche or role that I can utilize in my team. That's when I had an idea for a unique skill that would fit the dual nature of their class and grant them a unique form of combat versatility: TP Infusion. I'm not sure if it's possible to modify an existing skill to do this, but since Spellblades can already convert TP into MP, why not the other way around as well? This would allow them to (indirectly) use MP to power physical finishers, and use TP to power magical spells, giving them a unique play style.

Songstress already does that with her Superstar skill and it kinda fits, I don't want to take it from her and Relay is pretty unique itself, if you can cover multiple units it can raise your active character count after you've had some losses, no other skill can do that. The selling points of Spellblades are frontline casting and utility, they do the first part well enough and I'm improving a bit on the latter with the next patch.

I'm gonna give this a serious playthrough shortly and the mod is really nice from what i can tell so far.

I'm not entirely sure what youve edited stat wise in the changeloge and specifically what you added and subtracted from the classes and what you can actually edit, but from what i can tell you increased the base weight of lord class, it seems a little much at the same weight as knights, maybe a slight rebuff would be suitable seeing how it is the lord class.  Secondly i was hoping for some pretty big buffs to lich and angel knight.  I didnt dive into their skills heavily yet, but from a difficulty to aquire standpoint ive always felt these 2 classes should serve as the real endgame class setups for generics.  The angel knight specifically is very heavy and has a very limited holy spell pool, which themeatically never really made sense, i wouldnt be opposed to seeing you give them access to virtually all light magic and a little beefier weapon selection with a little lower rt.  Lich isnt terrible but maybe bring the rt closer to necromancer.

Ill give you more detailed feedback when i play through it, but without knowing the scope of what youre capable of editing in game its gonna be a little difficult to figure what can and cant be edited or improved.

Edit: I dont want to come off as unaprreciative or bossy, we spent alot of time on id helping arch balance 1.3, and since i love this game, honestly helping you get the best mod out of it is a really exciting proposition, just wish i came across this earlier, so if i can help you out in anyway im happy to do so, the best i can do right now is give feedback.

Edit2: I LOVE the sara and voltare static sprites, donalto tho is a little ... weird at first.

Edited by Bateman

Sure, feedback is always welcome, the mod has been playable for quite a while and most of the major features are there. In a nutshell, what I can do is modify races, classes and availability of skill and spells. I can modify which effect a skill will do but not what that effect does, I can change which formula will a damage ability or a weapon use, but I can't alter those formulas.

Considering the lord is capable of much more in this version his stats have to suck a bit to even it out, they aren't outright bad, though, just unimpressive. Angel knight is mostly buffed indirectly because having a flying heavy-ish unit that can heal and exorcise became a pretty big deal which is why a limited weapon selection has to stay. Lich has the best caster stats in the game that are on par with astromancer and can teleport, I kinda had to make his other stats a bit worse and keep his abilities toned down. The goal isn't to have advanced classes that can replace the earlier ones like in ogre battle, that's why an Angel Knight can't hit harder or tank better than a warrior, be a better offensive caster than spellblade or a better healer than cleric, it's enough if they have a valuable combination of abilities you can't find elsewhere.

Yeah, we're used to Donnalto's usual look so he did feel a bit odd to me too but it does click as you use him more so I left it in.

8 hours ago, Rbkcainnech said:

Loving the mod, does Ozma's Bloody Mary ability only work on monsters?  I can't seem to be able to petrify humans(0% chance).

It's a gaze ability, so it works only from the front if nothing is blocking the line of sight and the target doesn't have a shield equipped (and is not Hobyrim, he's immune for obvious reasons).

Edited by raics

Just started chapter 4 after running the neutral, few things off the top of my head.

Absolutely love Tamuz, hes probably my favorite "new" unit.  Hawkmen with access to knight jug and hop is fantastic, without being broken.

On the topic of knights, regular knight feels much, much better, you did a great job with the revamp.   Aegis, even when ai controlled, is great.  Only problem is now white knight feels very lackluster, i find myself using regular knights to use aegis over using white knights, the rt skill is great but i think they might need a little more.  Maybe give them back heal 1 and 2, maybe 3, i dont think it will imbalance them and cause you to sit out reg knights.  Like i said aegis is great, giving wk aegis would just negate knight entirely.

I abused monsters alot in the original, Gryphon and octopus feel very good right now, but dragons feel a little too squishy.  The main problem with monsters in the original was abusing lob boulder, but since you nerfed the range attack in general i think a small defensive buff to dragons would be fine even if you lower the offensive values to balance it out, they really do feel quite squishy.   Right now with monsters they all feel relatively the same.

I also love the static no stat growth when leveling classes, its very refreshing not even considering having to multi grind for stats.

The only negative thing ive encountered so far really is with vartan.  Im not sure if taking away 2h xbow was needed.  Right now the class just feels like a meleish focused spellblade.  I think your intended design was to keep canopus using a 1h weap and 1h range while allowing a little deadshot here and there.  The skill redesigns are very nice, but the class just feels less complete then the other reworks.  Personally I think it could use either duel wield or 2h bow or xbow, one of the 3.  Also for notsalgia sake, let canopus use tornado even if its just level 1 lol.

Side notes: Swordmaster is wonderful, duel wield on berzerker was a great idea, and i like that warrior is a jack of all trades now, its actually viable to keep denam as warrior till lord imo.  Lord still feels a little heavy tho, so does angel knight, also still miss donaltos old sprite and i kinda miss folcurts gold knight, maybe give the gold knight to voltaire since the red knight is used be enemies sometimes.

Edit: Also i was looking for a base sprite modifier list for cwcheat, and the one on the cwcheat zeta forums is very incomplete is there a better one around?  Maybe i can give voltaire the gold knight myself with cwcheat if you dont agree.

Edited by Bateman

Oh forgot to add this on, couple notes on crafting and gear in general, thrown weapons are wayyyy too heavy i dont see the benefit of using them at all when theyre almost double the weight of other ranged weapons for similar results, if anything they should be the lightest category.

For the most part i love the sideways crafting, but a little variety might be better then a static sideways upgrade.  For example, all crafted daggers are mage daggers, maybe mix it up slightly and swap the bonuses, a couple mage daggers, a couple status daggers like poision slow stun etc, adding elemental weapons earlier in general through crafting would be amazing.  For example lets say silver weapons add a holy element, or something like the falchion adds an air element instead of a static always 2hand.  Just food for thought.

Also while on weapons I prefer the base katanas much more then crafted ones, resetting tp completely trumps adding the parry skill, 1h and 2h, katanas if you want to take a look, might benefit the most for random buffs from crafting, adding early elements to those would work real well, i just dont see the benefit honestly of losing completely restting tp for +1 parry and losing the luck boost of the main hand katana.  Basically 1h and 2h katana rework are great imo, the crafted variants dont seem as special imo.

Just a quit feedback, overall very positive changes.

Edited by Bateman

Thanks for the extensive feedback, I'm still working on some of the things you mentioned so they will probably change at some point.

White knights will get more tricks, likely as soon as next patch and I'm careful in keeping them from stepping on normal knight's toes, vartan currently works as a flying skirmisher but will probably be tweaked as I'm not 100% happy with him either. Monsters are intentionally squishy, if they take more damage they can use their abilities more and their high HP keeps them from getting offed too soon, but I was thinking of making dragons and golems a shade sturdier.

The point of 1h katana sidegrades is mostly lowering luck so they're less likely to crit when dual wielding, the intended use is sidegrade in first slot so you get the parry bonus and a normal katana in second slot, I might give them a small damage bonus on the account of being reinforced, though. Thrown are the heaviest ranged weapons because you're assumed to carry a stack of them, but also cost the least RT to use of all ranged weapons so it cancels out if you're using them a lot, and their damage is good. I'll be tweaking the items further for sure, it's a recent addition so they're still a bit rough around the edges.

I could make you the code to switch voltare's sprite color to gold easily, I'll send it on pm some time tomorrow.