raics

Feedback and Suggestions

599 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Valenhil said:

The crafting chance failure is back, is that intended?

If it says 95-97% it's only early on, I think it's only visual and can't fail anyway or at least I never saw it myself or had any report that it does, it says 100% later. It can be lower and actually fail if the game was loaded from a saved state after patching and then hard saved, that messes up the file in some ways including crafting chances.

Edited by raics

Yeah, my first time messing that up. I applied the latest updated one day, played another, and forgot I had auto-load latest savestate turned on.

How much does this mess up? I'm already past Barnicia and not super into starting over again, but if I had to, better now than later.

Edited by Valenhil

Can't say for sure how deep it goes, crafting fails were usually enough to deter people from continuing the playthrough, I think some reported glitches with class changing and some stats.

Hullo! Big fan of this hack, I've been following it for a while and I'm finally making my way through it, but I've run into something odd. Is Radlum supposed to look like a Templar? 

Screenshot_20180618-123555.png

Yes, it's intended.

Anyway Raics, my crafting chances just fixed themselves back to 100% from 90-96% somehow. And as mentioned, it was not just visual, I did fail a couple times. I've been going through some of the sidegrades, and doesn't the cloth armor sidegrade completely eclipse regular light armor?

I'm wondering, how were draconic damage spells calculated again? Sherri nearly always does less damage with Terra than with Cragfall II, but Denam does three to five times more with Aura than with Spiritsurge.

Edited by Valenhil

The ghosts could teleport again cool! But please make the wraiths teleport too, they look pitiful compared to the ghosts

14 hours ago, Valenhil said:

Yes, it's intended.

Anyway Raics, my crafting chances just fixed themselves back to 100% from 90-96% somehow. And as mentioned, it was not just visual, I did fail a couple times. I've been going through some of the sidegrades, and doesn't the cloth armor sidegrade completely eclipse regular light armor?

I'm wondering, how were draconic damage spells calculated again? Sherri nearly always does less damage with Terra than with Cragfall II, but Denam does three to five times more with Aura than with Spiritsurge.

It's intended indeed, some wanted a playable templar so we'll just say Rudlum used it as a disguise to move around easier, makes a bit of sense. I'll have Denam comment on that so it doesn't seem as random.

Crafting chances increase a bit over the course of he game, not sure of the exact formula but it might depend on the amount of recipe books you acquired, hard to say. Yeah, cloth sidegrade has better bonuses but lower def and resists, it's better overall but fewer classes can use it so it doesn't directly compete most of the time, I'll probably remove the duelist bonus versus some races or nerf it a bit in other ways but not by much.

Draconic spell descriptions mention they're attacks, so they use your str/dex (more dex than str) instead of int/mnd and add weapon ATK on top of their spell ATK, so it's expected that a lord or princess would do more damage with them than a warlock or wicce.

@Riko Sure, it's just that it's harder to say which racial templates the game uses for wraiths so I haven't done it yet, once I dump the battle data I'll know.

Light Lord doesn't feel as good now, which I think it's a good thing compared to Divine and Dark being so much better in the original. Might switch to Fire Lord.

The White Knight duo is overbearingly powerful in undead fights. Considering what the Palace is, might be better to rein it in a little bit. Maybe make the quickening from fervor end immediately, so all it does is make their next turn come faster.

I also had the idea of adding that same small quicken effect to all war dances (only to the user), which now have mostly good effects (harvest still sucks), but could use one more small push. If using them also allowed the next turn to come faster, they'd be in a pretty good spot, and I feel that blends in well with the Swordmaster's image.

Quicken is one of those buffs that's tied to the RT clock so it can't be specifically limited to a number of turns, I can reduce its duration further but I'd rather increase the TP cost and keep the ability impactful, if I increased the RT cost much to offset the speedup it might go against the theme of the ability, it's supposed to hasten you after all. It's probably good that white knights are powerful in undead battles, makes a bit of sense so I'll just leave it like this and let them have their fun for now, I've had it up to here with 'white knights suck' anyway :)

I could just remove the RT cost of dances instead, it would do the same thing. Dunno if I should, their abilities are pretty cheap already and have either better effect or more aoe than spells that do the same thing to compensate for limited range.

Can you go through the endgame gear changes a bit?

Since sidegrades are only available for shop pieces, are they still competitive with the elemental pieces? And only the robes have an augment level? Doesn't that make the elemental armor kind of pointless?

And for the accessories, I'm confused at how earrings are increasing the attack of people who aren't wielding the correct weapon type.

Sure, since there are more elemental weapons now I could split them into two groups so some of them follow the usual pattern and some are sidegrades. Elemental weapons from the first crafting book can randomly spawn on enemies but enchiridion weapons and above can't (unless set manually), usable abilities are encountered only on weapons that can't be crafted and the highest required level for any piece of gear is 40.

Yes, only robes have an augment, that way classes that can use robes and other armor types have to choose between offense and protection. Elemental gear is pretty strong so it's a nice upgrade over normal gear and you don't need to hunt it all around the place anymore, you can craft it all except jyigla and thanatos with secrets of the master.

It's the way jewelry works, the resistance values double as a damage bonus. That's why chokers in vanilla are so broken, besides augment you get 40% increased damage of your element, another 10% vs all races (which the char screen doesn't show) and 3% blunt/crash/pierce, that's pretty much extra two tiers of strengthen/spellcraft. I've updated the damage calculator in the first post recently so you can check that out.

But not every character gets that increase. Denam's wielding a 2h katana and gets nothing from every earring but the 2H katana one, which has only a very small increase which seems to be only from the skill ranks, and a generic dragoon with a sword and fusil gets nothing for the fusil from a sword earring.

Right, seems that the game calculates the bonus for str weapons but not dex, I'll check on it tomorrow to see if it's just a display issue. If not, it might be some sort of a bug or just another one of their wtf design decisions.

Hi there, Raics! I'm ecstatic that you're making this mod - I'm in chapter one, and I'm already liking the mechanical changes. 

I did have a cosmetic suggestion, however: I noticed that Donnalto's sprite was completely changed, and Sara and Voltare both have sprites that are at odds with their classes. Would you perhaps consider doing something more in line with what the guy behind luct.tacticsogre did in the Warren Report? He recolored the unique generic character's sprites, like what we have with Donnalto and Ludlum in the remake. This would also serve to make those characters like Sara and Voltare more of iconic characters of their respective classes. If you feel that this isn't something you'd like to do, would you consider releasing notes on how to edit the sprites of characters for those who would like something different visually?

As far as mechanics go, is it possible to make it so that characters have individual class growth? Amd in regards to class-based weapon restrictions, what if they were removed, such that equipment functioned as it did in the original?

Anyway, I'm loving the mod, and I look forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Edited by Koichimaru

Glad you're enjoying it. About those sprites, Sara using that particular one is a small nod to Orson from Knight of Lodis as it's kinda similar to his outfit and Voltare is just a recolored knight which is probably what you had in mind. Most characters that were previously named generics now have a fixed recolored sprite of their class, Sara could have an archer sprite too but I didn't want to double it up with Arycelle.

Can't see a way that would make individual stat growth being recorded on the character instead of a class as it isn't just flipping some switches, it would require a rework of the whole levelling system so that one will have to wait for someone else. Weapon restrictions can easily be removed but a fair bit of the balancing rests on that so I wouldn't do it, for instance, you could just equip a warlock with a 2h hammer and tear new assholes with dragon magic all over the place, valkyries would be close to wizards in power if they could wear his gear and wizards would be pretty tanky in heavy armor. In the original game (and vanilla remake to an extent), gear didn't really matter, everyone ran around with the lightest weapon and naked so full freedom in gearing didn't make any difference, in the mod half of the class are stats and the other half is gear.

Edited by raics

Ahhh. I see! Very nice. Why the change to Donnalto's sprite? Was it similar to the decision with Sara?

I see what you mean. It would be very difficult to implement. 

Thank you for being transparent with your process, and thank you for the answers. I really appreciate it. :)

For Donnalto, not really, I was trying out something and people liked it so it stuck, kinda grows on you after a while.

If, in the future, you are able to make events and add new characters, would you consider changing Rudlum's sprite back and having some Templar join (maybe someone loyal to Ozma who sides with her in the fight in which she joins)? I only ask because his sprite is one of my favorites. 

I appreciate it. Thank you.

Also, what if Leonar joined on the Neutral Route instead of dying? This could add a lategame character in the vein of Ravness/Ozma in Lawful, and Cressida in Chaos. Also, maybe giving Oelias access to the Priest class, if possible. I've never understood why the devs gave Lawful so much, yet gave Neutral nothing.

Edited by Koichimaru

Finally got around to making an account here. Been talking to Raics about issues a bit on reddit now but it's a pretty bad format for such a conversation. I'm very glad to hear about Valenhil's crafting percent jumping from 90-96% to 100% over time. Do you know when that happened? I'm having the exact same thing happen to me, was worried I screwed something up but it sounds like I'll survive now. Just not sure when things work themselves out.

Also, Koichimaru, I'm sure Raics can go into more detail himself, but I've seen him mention a long term goal of having Leornar join on the Neutral path. Something about a lucky charm or some such that Leonar keeps blocking the fatal blow.

Yeah, if it's possible I'll add Leonar in neutral route. Oelias already has priest available in my working version and there's also another quite unique character in neutral.

Seems that the game raises your crafting chances for each recipe book you got, or by level, either way it goes up.

You know - I've been so busy with work that I've neglected to read this topic in its entirety. I'll catch up on all of the info on One Vision before I post again. :)

I gotta say, though, it's going to be tough deciding which route I go on first now. 

On 6/29/2018 at 6:43 PM, Koichimaru said:

I appreciate it. Thank you.

Also, what if Leonar joined on the Neutral Route instead of dying? This could add a lategame character in the vein of Ravness/Ozma in Lawful, and Cressida in Chaos. Also, maybe giving Oelias access to the Priest class, if possible. I've never understood why the devs gave Lawful so much, yet gave Neutral nothing.

Well Lawful is the canon route after all.