raics

Feedback and Suggestions

599 posts in this topic

Thanks for getting back to me, raics. I didn't know earrings gave additional boosts like that, now it makes them more enticing.

If you eventually do get to normalizing the levels in those early ch 4 fights, I think it would make the whole ch 4 experience a lot better. Most of ch 4 for me was not as fun as it could have been because I was over leveled thanks to those 2 early fights. Reminded me of playing vanilla. Luckily I just did the shines and am in potd now and the battles here are much better. Thoroughly enjoying your mod, it's great.

Regarding the scrolls, I'm not a fan of the current names, they don't mean anything to me and I can never remember them. "What does this do again? Oh this one..."

Also, I think what you mentioned about giving characters more default skills for their level is a good solution if you can do it. I'd be in favor of something like that.

yea, the scroll names are flavorful, but you cant ever remember what they do. Its not a huge deal though since you dont interact with scrolls that much. Your idea of letting later uniques start with more skills learned is a nice one. New characters that join you and enemies currently have alot of "nothing" skills which i assume were the stats skills that got taken out. That should probably be cleaned up at some point too.

By the way, is there a way to change the skill order that enemies have? It would be cool to add a few enemies that have augment elementals and some hard to level skills in the top 4 slots in various story fights.

Both the phased out skill removal and replacing the ones one enemies is possible, but it requires dumping all of the battle data which I've been doing for a while and it will take me a good while longer too. I'll also be able to fix the drop and steal tables once that is done.

So I finished my first play through of law path. I'm not too sure if im going for all the post game and other paths. Maybe sometime down the line. I just wanted to leave my feedback here. I mentioned earlier that I quit the game on my first play long time ago. I think I stopped playing on chaos or neutral chapter 4. Anyways, if i recall correctly, the biggest reason that I lost interest in the game was the ridiculous crafting system. I was sitting there pressing buttons for hours and thought to my self whats the point of this crap? Why would they make it like this? Why is there a fail chance when no one would keep the save if the big craft fails? Why cant i craft multiple things at once? Why do i have to wait for the stupid pot to shake every single time? I just dropped the game out of frustration at that point. Thank god for the crafting changes in this mod.

This is the type of mod that I love the most. Just balance changes, taking out unnecessary time wasting stuff, streamlining, no insanely scaled stats for increased "difficulty." Out of the design decisions you made in your patch, the best part for me was the fact that there is no stats scaling from leveling jobs. I think that was the other big reason that I quit playing the game originally. Even if I am not trying to absolutely min max, it was always bearing on me that I am potentially missing out of stat growth by simply playing the game how I want to.

The equipment/skills changes were great balance wise. Taking out the stat skills were a great decision, but it left some classes with not many relevant skilsl to use (archers for example). I dont know about other people, but I almost never use the status proof skills and racials (except on like dragoon/beast tamer). They just seemed too situational and it would be too annoying to modify your skills based on each encounter or something. Granted, my max level was 24 at the end of the game so I didnt explore everything. I think adding one unique passive skill for each class might make things interesting. For example, Dragoon might get dragon blood that gives innate regen. Then again, its kind of hard to come up with interesting passives that can be generally useful and not just a stat boost heh.

Anyways, on the topic of decreasing tedium, the final thing i wanna suggest is disabling enemy's ability to pick up loot bags, or just simply giving you the loot when you kill the enemy if they didnt drop a tarot card. Also, it would be nice if bosses/enemies that can drop unique items always does so and never drops tarot cards. Lets face it, we all just chariot until we get the drop, so why waste time right?

Well thats it for me. Thanks for the great mod!

Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it. No idea if it will be possible to do something about loot bags down the line, but it's possible (though very time consuming) to make all interesting drops guaranteed, hard to say what happened when they decided to go that way.

Edited by raics

Hey man great mod, it's really cool to see Tactics Ogre having a mod of it's own. I'm playing through CH2L and finding the additions really awesome, although I didn't really dig some of the sprite and portrait changes (specially Donnalto and Rudlum) so I hope that one day I can see a version of the mod with the vanilla sprites and portraits (although some of them I actually liked like  Golden Lanselot and darker shade Warren). Speaking of which, I'm actually quite curious to what program did you use to perform the modification, was it a simple hex editor like HxT or an actually patcher like the one for FFT?

It's one of those things where you can't please everybody, some like the changes so it would require a separate version, right, maybe when it's all done.

It's just a hex editor, there aren't any specialized tools for this game.

I see that's cool, do you have the sheets or documents with the addresses and digits that you used to make the mod, I'd like to try tinkering with the game myself to see if I can make some interesting results, that is if you want.

Nothing in a form that would make much sense, I could look up and tell you how to change something specific but I don't have a sheet that says where everything is and what each address means

Ah I see, don't worry about it. One last question though, do you think that boss-only skills like Radius or Rampart Aura V can be used by human units through modding, I remember to have used a code once that would give those abillities to Denam but they coudn't be used nor learned by any class, however some skills like Invincible (that would give an attack and defense boost) worked fine, also could enemy-only classes like Death Templar be modded into usable classes?

Edited by FPseph

Passives would work fine, and actives only if the animation is compatible with the human sprite, they usually are so it would most likely be fine.

Turning an npc class into one that the player can use or creating a new one is hard because there's a limited number of slots where the game stores how much experience and level does a class have, so they wouldn't be able to level up.

hey raics, i used feyrn bolus on a friendly unit that had "stop" status, it says 0% success but it worked. Is it supposed to say 100% instead?

5 hours ago, Onelovekr said:

hey raics, i used feyrn bolus on a friendly unit that had "stop" status, it says 0% success but it worked. Is it supposed to say 100% instead?

It should, it isn't shown because it's an ability with three effects where the last one works and the first two don't and they staggered the effects so it shows the percentage only for the first one. I can fix it by just separating them, I'll do it for the next minor patch.

"- The Warren entry for Deneb’s shop will specify her travel schedule, there is one and I can’t think of a good reason she’d keep it secret."

Holy fuck thank you

First of all, thank you so much raics! This is such a great mod! This mod really hits the mark in terms of re-balancing the classes, which makes my team much more varied than when I played the vanilla game. Now there is no more brainless "let the ninja kills everyone" strategy, and requires me to think more tactically about the composition of my party, how to equip them, as well as how to approach the enemies. Great great job indeed, bravo! I sincerely hope that more people will pay attention to your work in the future. You deserve much more appreciation than you already had!

I am not very deep into the game at this moment, so there is not much useful feedback to you, unfortunately. (Stilling playing around different sets up of team) However, I do have a question about the crafting recipes. I am currently in Neutral route at chapter 4 and are thinking about collecting all the recipes before WORLD back for other routes. Do all the recipes still drop from the same enemies as  in the vanilla game (such as the bosses in the six shrines)? Or have you changed the way to require the recipes? If so, where can I find them? I looked up here, the discussion thread in gamefaqs as well as the readme file, but still couldn't find relevant information.

I am sorry that this is really just a "playthrough" question than a feedback. But again thank you for this great work!

So far the recipe locations haven't changed, I'll be sure to note it if they do but it will most likely just be changed to a guaranteed drop. Haven't found a good reason to relocate them so far but maybe I'll switch them around so you get enchiridions in the temples and the palace but get the other recipes in phorampa and graveyard, as those dungeons are shorter and available earlier so it makes sense to find lower level recipes, not higher.

Good to hear you're enjoying it so far, if you got any comments, requests or suggestions feel free to post them here.

Hey raics, I have a level 33 terror knight and wondering if you have any tips how to get the best out of this class? I'm struggling to find a use for it, it seems physically weaker than other heavy classes and its spell selection is nothing special either. What is it supposed to excel in?

4 hours ago, Onelovekr said:

Hey raics, I have a level 33 terror knight and wondering if you have any tips how to get the best out of this class? I'm struggling to find a use for it, it seems physically weaker than other heavy classes and its spell selection is nothing special either. What is it supposed to excel in?

Mass applying fear and busting up shadow clones, mostly, his spells aren't too powerful but drain life and tp can be very useful. He also has a guaranteed hit skill so you get a 100% stun with maces and you can use those heavy sidegrade 2h swords with accuracy penalty.

20 hours ago, raics said:

Mass applying fear and busting up shadow clones, mostly, his spells aren't too powerful but drain life and tp can be very useful. He also has a guaranteed hit skill so you get a 100% stun with maces and you can use those heavy sidegrade 2h swords with accuracy penalty.

Would there be a way for him to make his own clones so he could blow them up and do AOE damage around the clone? Maybe turn him into an area control type with the shadows with rampart aura, for example?

I have the dragon slayer 2h sword equipped on him and he does decent enough damage but he's so slow he's always scooping up the leftovers that only have 79 hp. His lack of range options really hurts him and he's not even as strong as the quicker characters with double attack. I'm trying to figure out how to get the best out of him in my squad but there's absolutely nothing he does better than the other classes. Destroying clones could be cool if utilized in a better way but currently it's is a very, very niche skill and it requires him to be close enough to even get it off.

One way to overcome his limited range without giving him ranged weapons could be to let him teleport or use the dash (or similar) skill, so he can get into the heat of the battle more easily. Another would be to give him a way to reduce his RT (preferably a skill). Either of those would help a lot. I have a ninja who's the same level and she has more mobility and damage output (with double atk) than the terror knight, plus she can dodge melee attacks with her skill which lets her carry far lighter armor. She's weak to spells but at least she has a clear function in the squad and she's very effective at it. I'm wondering what the terror knight's actual function is supposed to be as he's just lesser at everything compared to the other classes, including area control. I think he needs a clear purpose that differentiates him from the other classes, the control shadow-desctruction idea I mentioned in the beginning is one example I think would be pretty cool if possible.

Oh one more thing, I was using the buccaneer and had it cast Evade on itself, so it had nullify. Then I tried to use dash the next turn but the dash was canceled out by the nullify. I'm not familiar with this interaction (it's my first time playing this game) but nullify's description only mentions physical attacks and item effects. Is Dash considered an item effect? And if so is that a good thing?

cheers

There would be a way to let him create a clone and blow it up in the same round, but that would make him a bit too good, TK doesn't have the raw damage output of some lighter classes but he outdamages a fair few and is fairly tanky. His main shtick is probably being a counterpart to his holier cousin, the knight removes statuses and he causes them, knight blocks movement and he clears a path, knight equips himself defensively and he's offensive. That's less of a role than a running theme bit it gives him enough identity and I'm not hearing he's underpowered often, I'd really need more feedback like that before I do something drastic to him. The dragon slayer sword is dreadfully heavy and also costs a ton of RT to use, I'd be very surprised if he could keep up with a ninja with that equipped.

The thing about buccaneer is just one readied skill (ones that give you a star above) overwriting another, that's normal, you can have only one active.

Evade blocks buffs skills like Speedstar and even items for some reason. It's always been like that.

Only gripe I had with Terror Knight is that it wasn't tanky enough. It feels just right now, and fear is a really good effect.

Edited by Valenhil

On 9/8/2018 at 7:41 AM, Valenhil said:

Evade blocks buffs skills like Speedstar and even items for some reason. It's always been like that.

Only gripe I had with Terror Knight is that it wasn't tanky enough. It feels just right now, and fear is a really good effect.

I see, thanks for clarifying. I knew it wasn't an issue with a readied skill overriding the previous one, as evade is not a readied skill. 

Could you explain how you're using your terror knights, as I might be using them incorrectly (mostly as beatsticks). I don't care to use fear or other non-dmg spells because i'd rather just do the damage directly, but he's being outclassed by other melee attackers, and if I have him focus on those spells/fear, low accuracy or poor range seems to keep me from getting the most out of them, and at that point I'd rather just use a mage of some sort. I have Lament of the Dead always equipped on him but I don't use it much because it doesn't always work.

On 9/7/2018 at 3:22 PM, raics said:

There would be a way to let him create a clone and blow it up in the same round, but that would make him a bit too good, TK doesn't have the raw damage output of some lighter classes but he outdamages a fair few and is fairly tanky. His main shtick is probably being a counterpart to his holier cousin, the knight removes statuses and he causes them, knight blocks movement and he clears a path, knight equips himself defensively and he's offensive. That's less of a role than a running theme bit it gives him enough identity and I'm not hearing he's underpowered often, I'd really need more feedback like that before I do something drastic to him. The dragon slayer sword is dreadfully heavy and also costs a ton of RT to use, I'd be very surprised if he could keep up with a ninja with that equipped.

Re: the shadows, I think letting him blow it up on the same round it's created would be a bit too good, I was thinking more along the lines of creating a clone one turn, then having the option to blow it up the next. It would make his shadowbreak skill less situational and in conjunction with the rampart aura shadows, give him another tactical dimension towards area control. The damage could always be scaled down if it looks too OP in practice.

Yeah I think the terror knight does fine in terms of identity, that's not an issue, the problem is his lack of a real role in the context of a battle. Look at the other classes and you can clearly identify clear roles for various scenarios, unique functions that other classes can't perform. But the terror knight feels like an "add-on" class that's there if you want it but doesn't really add anything to the function of the team. In terms of productivity, it's just outdone by everything else at the moment so there's no real point in using it, at least from what I can see so far. Most of my classes except the end-game ones like lich are above level 30 and I still can't figure out why the terror knight would ever deserve a place in any squad. I want him to work but I just doesn't see where he shines.

Funny enough, knights is the other class I barely touch, due to similar issues. I think I just don't get the point of these super slow tanky classes because I figure they're supposed to be front-line warriors to absorb hits and deal heavy damage but due to their slow speed/low range they are never really in the heat of the battle, always lagging behind everyone else. So my quicker melee characters and ranged archers/mages do most of the work and the terror knight/knights struggle to keep up, wanting to be useful but ultimately not doing much. What would make me happy with these two classes is basically something they can productively do while not in range. It's why I'm attracted to the idea of Terror knights making shadow clones, because he doesn't have to be in range to make them, and if placed well, they can influence the battle in later rounds and be blown up if enemies come into range.

Knights would need their own thing, doesn't even have to be offensive or OP, just anything really that contributes to the battle when there's nothing else to do, a non-situational go-to option to use TP and/or MP basically. Or if nothing else, just some improved movement so these classes could actually be on the front lines more often. Would giving them more movement really make them OP? I figure their higher RT would keep them balanced, as they should get less attacks per fight compared to the quicker characters, therefore keeping the dmg output roughly balanced between the classes I assume?

I tend to levitate towards characters with high mobility or good range in my parties and it makes me feel bad for the terror knight because flavor wise I'd love to use him. Anyways even if absolutely nothing is done, this patch is still the best thing anyone could really ask for so I'm happy enough as is, just want to be... happier still, I guess lol. And I like the change to making lich/angels, I don't see any real value in the complicated steps from the original game, it doesn't add more gameplay or anything, it's just a nuisance. At least that's my opinion. More flavorful to keep the rings locked behind boss fights and do away with the unnecessary and unfulfilling grind.

Edited by Onelovekr
fixed some typos

While the area of effect of lament of dead is attractive, I find Fearful Impact just too reliable to pass up, so I tipically use only the latter.

There's not much to actually using them, though. Let the enemy come to you (this seems to be the part that confuses you, it's rarely a good idea to send all your units towards the enemy every turn, use your tanks to set up a choke), get some TP, keep hitting the tanky enemy units with fearful impact. Leave archers and mages to units that can actually reach them.

Edited by Valenhil

Everything you can remove with Intimidate is a readied skill. Other effects can also remove Evade or Intercession, the way I think they did it is designating some effects as magical, so healing or buff spells will remove intercession, and everything else counts as physical so items will remove evade.

There will be some indirect changes to TK in 92c, minor debuffs will get more accurate in general, which will benefit him, and some skills you typically spam every turn with heavy units will cost less RT (like aegis, clones or fearful impact) so they will indirectly get a bit faster. Their magic is there just so they have something to do in the situations where they can't reach the enemy, their RT cost is low so you aren't slowing yourself down much even if you took a shot with low odds, you aren't supposed to use it over their melee attacks in general case scenario. On the other hand, status magic on real mages has to be accurate because it competes with the option of just going for straight damage.