raics

Feedback and Suggestions

599 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, raics said:

Everything you can remove with Intimidate is a readied skill. Other effects can also remove Evade or Intercession, the way I think they did it is designating some effects as magical, so healing or buff spells will remove intercession, and everything else counts as physical so items will remove evade.

There will be some indirect changes to TK in 92c, minor debuffs will get more accurate in general, which will benefit him, and some skills you typically spam every turn with heavy units will cost less RT (like aegis, clones or fearful impact) so they will indirectly get a bit faster. Their magic is there just so they have something to do in the situations where they can't reach the enemy, their RT cost is low so you aren't slowing yourself down much even if you took a shot with low odds, you aren't supposed to use it over their melee attacks in general case scenario. On the other hand, status magic on real mages has to be accurate because it competes with the option of just going for straight damage.

Those are some good news right there. How long till the next patch?

42 minutes ago, Oblivão said:

Those are some good news right there. How long till the next patch?

It's a minor patch, so in a few days or something.

Hey raics!  Been lurking for a while now, but finally bit the bullet and registered an account here.  Currently on ch 4(N) of my very first ever (!) playthrough ever of TO:LUCT with your mod and have quite been enjoying it.  I have no direct frame of reference to compare with the original as I've never played it, but from everything I've read and understood, all of the changes are entirely much welcome.  Thanks also for the detailed damage calculator spreadsheet and manual -- those have been invaluable for trying to wrap my mind around the system in order to make some more informed decisions as a new player.

On 9/9/2018 at 2:45 AM, raics said:

There will be some indirect changes to TK in 92c, minor debuffs will get more accurate in general, which will benefit him, and some skills you typically spam every turn with heavy units will cost less RT (like aegis, clones or fearful impact) so they will indirectly get a bit faster. Their magic is there just so they have something to do in the situations where they can't reach the enemy, their RT cost is low so you aren't slowing yourself down much even if you took a shot with low odds, you aren't supposed to use it over their melee attacks in general case scenario. On the other hand, status magic on real mages has to be accurate because it competes with the option of just going for straight damage.

Also looking forward to those changes!  The more hybrid classes (spellblade/valk + TK) have definitely been challenging to gear and build, but in a good way.  I appreciate that I can set up a spellblade as a slightly worse fighter-type unit that also has access to some supporting magic (and maybe a lobber), but can also set them up as a slightly worse mage that can still stand in the front lines without melting to enemy attacks.  I was a bit conflicted on the terror knight myself...giving it a staff and gearing up for INT/MND made the status effects much more reliable, but that seemed to basically turn it into a really mediocre warlock (though sturdier, I guess!).  But on the flipside, giving it a 2-hander and gearing for physical attack made its damage comparable to the other frontline classes but now the debuffs had really piddling accuracy (~20%?).  That said I could also just be a bit underleveled, or perhaps could look into a way to apply spellstrike.  The "just having something to do when they can't reach the enemy" role of dark magic here makes sense, given that TK already has fearful impact as well as Lament of the Dead (which I haven't unlocked yet!) to really mess up the enemy's stats, but it would be nice if the dark magic could still do something a bit more reliably, at least get off some poison (not sure if poison cloud uses the same formula for determining whether the poison debuff is applied?).  I admittedly haven't used the shadowbreak skill yet, but I do like that idea as well.

My main conundrum at the moment is the Familiar class, which currently I only have access to through the Faerie race, as I won't get around to Pumpkin units for quite some time.  From what I understand this class had some issues in the original game as well, but I'm wondering what some intended role/usages of the class are?  It has access to divine magic and heals, plus boon of swiftness so it can definitely just serve as a cleric that has the added advantage of being able to float around as well as use spiritsurge.  The lack of major heal is even a bit of a non-issue since purify does essentially the same thing (better).  However the Familiar also comes with some exclusive skills which in theory seem pretty nice -- pumpkin strike and pumpkin pie, along with the 4 "kiss"-type skills, among others.  Pumpkin pie, for example, seems like it would be great to turn the tide of a battle, but I'm not really understanding how a familiar can go about getting the 100TP required to even use the ability in the first place, given that magic attacks wouldn't accumulate any TP.  I'm also not entirely sure what stats the damage of pumpkin strike would be based on (only read a few things about it).  I've tried giving my Familiar an instrument in an attempt at getting it to whack things to build up TP, but it was way too squishy to survive.  Things were a little better with a dagger + shield, trying to gear more for AVD, but even though survivability was better it still was doing really mediocre damage.  So for now my Familiar has been relegated back to healbot duty.

My preliminary guesses as to what is going on with these skills:

- Perhaps the Pumpkin variant of Familiars are simply better at getting into the fray and building up TP?
- Maybe I just need to wait until I unlock Tactician II, and just have the passive TP accumulation do it?
- Maybe the idea is to have TP accumulation from a different source, like somebody casting electrify on the Familiar?
- I could try giving it a 1H bow and having it (weakly) peck at things....??
- Or perhaps you just haven't gotten around to tinkering with this class?  Haha...

Anyhow, some clarification on the unit's intended role and usage would be elucidating, I think.  Another possibility that came across my mind is that for Faerie units, the idea is to learn the "Kiss" spells from Familiar and then transfer them over to the Rogue class (one of the few instances outside of lord/princess that I've seen skills that need to be learned elsewhere to be used in that class).  That still doesn't explain the pumpkin skills, though.

Speaking of heals, I know it's been mentioned that MND does have an effect on the amount healed but that it is relatively minor.  That formula isn't really represented in your calculator AFAIK so I'm not sure what the inner workings of it are (is there some sort of cap on the amount of healing? etc..), but it did seem from my experience that INT/MND really didn't affect heal amounts in any significant way, so I've currently just optimized my cleric(s) for RT instead.  Not sure if I'm on the right track there, just wanted to get a check of my understanding.

Right, I haven't been working on familiar much because the class should eventually get split into three, one for each race that has access to it, but that requires some major shifts from other classes I can't do before I have all battle data or we might end up seeing some real weird shit. So, it has the basic functionality but hasn't exactly been finetuned, currently it's a supporter with piddly stats which is mitigated by access to a ton of special skills and being a fairly attractive target gives it the TP to use them, we'll see what it ends up like. Most skills like pumpkin strike or vartan's windshot are affected by your attack damage, with a few exceptions like angel knight's Requiem which deals spell damage, so using a high ATK weapon will help but raising your weapon skill won't help a general skill (applies only to finishers, including finisher-like skills that necromancer and fuslier get).

Yeah, you really need a lot of mnd to raise the heal amount so it's better to just go for speed or durability. Myself, I like to take to the quote that a medic can never allow himself to be taken out because who will heal the injured then.

Thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense!  Right now being a fairly attractive target leads most enemies to inflict the "dead" debuff on it, but the idea makes sense.  Actually, an AI gremlin Familiar that I encountered in a recent battle wielding a book + shield seemed like it was gaining a reasonable amount of TP so I can see how it would work.  Again, I'm a bit underleveled, so I'd imagine that is part of the problem.  (I had also somehow forgotten that gremlins can also be familiars, whoops!)

I must ask, what is the overall plan and details for splitting up Familiar from being homogeneous to being theit own thing per the three races that can use it? I am very curious about that aspect after reading that post.

49 minutes ago, Yarott said:

I must ask, what is the overall plan and details for splitting up Familiar from being homogeneous to being theit own thing per the three races that can use it? I am very curious about that aspect after reading that post.

Overall, we have a class with enough skills and item/spell access for three separate classes and it's easy enough to see which should go to fairies, which to gremlins and which ones to punkins. Since it isn't one class that can do everything anymore they will be able to get a bit more specialized and stronger at what they do, haven't outlined it fully yet but the faerie class would be light aligned with some ranged weapon options, gremlin would be a dark melee and pumpkin a neutral heavy melee.

"If the program reports ‘cannot open the specified PPF file’, that means there’s a size mismach between your ISO and the correct one. If the size difference is small, load your ISO in UMDGen, hit ‘Save’, pick ‘uncompressed (*.iso)’, wait for it to get rebuilt, then load the new one and try again. "

Had to do the added step.

Why did you change the patching method? Also, can we apply upcoming patches on already modded ISOs?

Update's really good btw.

Edited by Oblivão

17 hours ago, Oblivão said:

"If the program reports ‘cannot open the specified PPF file’, that means there’s a size mismach between your ISO and the correct one. If the size difference is small, load your ISO in UMDGen, hit ‘Save’, pick ‘uncompressed (*.iso)’, wait for it to get rebuilt, then load the new one and try again. "

Had to do the added step.

Why did you change the patching method? Also, can we apply upcoming patches on already modded ISOs?

Update's really good btw.

It's probably a better choice to use the patching method from moddb, you can use it on any iso version and it's perfectly fine to update an already patched one. With the patch I'm uploading here you need to keep a vanilla backup in proper size.

Dumb question, I have not played the original and have no idea if I patched it correctly, I followed the readme instructions. How do I know if I am playing the patched version of the game at the start?

5 hours ago, GamingFiend said:

Dumb question, I have not played the original and have no idea if I patched it correctly, I followed the readme instructions. How do I know if I am playing the patched version of the game at the start?

It's a fairly common question, the two things to look out for is Lanselot having golden armor at the start of the game and the other is being able to buy 1h/2h katana in shops, that means two main files patched correctly.

14 hours ago, raics said:

It's a fairly common question, the two things to look out for is Lanselot having golden armor at the start of the game and the other is being able to buy 1h/2h katana in shops, that means two main files patched correctly.

On 10/25/2017 at 0:17 PM, coffee potato said:

Sweet! Thank You for all the dedication to this thing man!

So random curiosity. Did You come across any signs that they had put in the damage carryover feature from the original for longer siege fights?

Thank you so much, I did indeed patch it correctly. Much easier than I expected. Can't wait to try it. I played the original a little bit and I remember getting the Terror Knight and becoming frustrating with him being so weak and quit playing. 

I registered to say thank you for this mod. It saved Tactics Ogre for me. I had bounced off this game so many times before, with my longest attempt making it just to the beginning of Chapter 3c, and ending due to a combo of dreary crafting, and the device I was playing on dying.

But with One Vision I finally beat the game, and am making my way through the alternate paths with WORLD and I'm loving it! I saved Neutral until last, because I have heard it is the weakest, and that the unit availability is poor, but I squealed with delight when I got Tamuz, and again when I learned Oelias can be a Priest. 

Are there any plans to change any other characters like you did Tamuz? I think it would be very cool to see other named-generics changed to demi-humans, or given access to some demi-human classes

Good to hear you like it. More demihumans might not be a bad idea, but I'd have to think of some way to edit warren report first.

I've encountered an issue .. but I'm not sure if this is actually a bug or not. Dispel can't seem to remove Renewal buff

Also... about Thrown weapons like Javelin, do they scale off STR or DEX stats?

Edited by Viz

Was it the only buff on the character?

It's dex for all ranged weapons, I'd note it on sidearms category description if it was str for thrown.

How can you find treasure in this MOD? I walked over the 3 treasure tiles in Tanmas Hill, (3 pits) and nothing happens. My characters don't find any treasure.    :-o  ????

On 11/21/2018 at 2:26 AM, mercy said:

How can you find treasure in this MOD? I walked over the 3 treasure tiles in Tanmas Hill, (3 pits) and nothing happens. My characters don't find any treasure.    :-o  ????

I assume you tried to do it in training, if a guide lists the items that can be picked up during the story battle that's when you should do it.

9 hours ago, raics said:

I assume you tried to do it in training, if a guide lists the items that can be picked up during the story battle that's when you should do it.

Thank You! Finally I stepped onto one and got an item. The chars luck must have been high enough for that tile. Destroyable objects are Über-stupid however: 15HP barrel takes 1-2HP hits from weapons and Sparksphere does the same. Env. objects should be one-hit destructibles. I you were a developer on Steam I'd request this, but I understand you modify values, so its a lot harder. Thank You for your help! Now I know, how the secret spot system works.

Edited by mercy

1 hour ago, mercy said:

Destroyable objects are Über-stupid however: 15HP barrel takes 1-2HP hits from weapons and Sparksphere does the same.

There's a workaround of sorts, Warrior has a Squash skill that can instantly destroy any object on the battlefield, once you learn it you can use it with most strength-aligned melee classes.

Not many people request it because very few treasures are worth the effort, buffing them is a low priority goal because they're most likely a part of battle data and that's all over the place, but it should eventually happen.

Japanese UnDUB:

I got the Japanese ISO. Anybody tried to transfer the Japanese narration into the English version to replace the voice files? We have English subtitles so it would be like a proper JAP-voice anime with ENG-subs. I know it has been done with other games in the past, FFT maybe?

Edited by mercy

I certainly haven't tried, hard to say how hard would it be. I suppose it depends on the encoding that psp can work with, if file size can't be tweaked with bitrate there might be problems with maintaining the original iso size.

Hi a grateful TO mod user here. Game is great with reworked crafts and a ton re-balances.

Question: Paladin's classmark cannot be found anywhere. Not craftable, nor in shops (normal and Deneb's)

I am switching between routes to recruit characters. Just recruited Ravness and found no Paladin classmark for her.

Changelog claims every classmark will be available in normal shop. But no it does not happen.

Possible cause: I haven't unlock "real" Paladin Hamilton through the storyline. Is it?

Regards,

KC