raics

Feedback and Suggestions

599 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Caledor said:

ah, so it's a secondary hit effect and HP TP MP is what it damages with the second strike.
Btw, i forgot to mention the change to Meditate's animation before. Was it itentional? There's no sound nor particle effect

Yeah, each is technically a separate effect, but the parameters can vary to an extent, for instance doublehit and additional percentage hit are the same effect with different parameters.

It was intentional, the change was made while meditate was something you spammed every turn to make it less tiresome.

Hey Raics, just a quick bit of feedback. I finally got around to completing CODA 4 (and the One-Eyed Knight Slayer title) and I feel that Balxephon's personal weapon is kinda underwhelming for how late you get it. It's basically a 1-handed spear that requires both hands to wield, but doesn't seem to have any unique advantages over using conventional 1-handed or 2-handed spears. If I needed a fast, lower RT spear I'd just use the 1-handed variant while retaining the ability to equip an offhand weapon or shield.

2 hours ago, Rucession said:

Hey Raics, just a quick bit of feedback. I finally got around to completing CODA 4 (and the One-Eyed Knight Slayer title) and I feel that Balxephon's personal weapon is kinda underwhelming for how late you get it. It's basically a 1-handed spear that requires both hands to wield, but doesn't seem to have any unique advantages over using conventional 1-handed or 2-handed spears. If I needed a fast, lower RT spear I'd just use the 1-handed variant while retaining the ability to equip an offhand weapon or shield.

Yeah, it's using the 1h atk calculation by mistake, I've fixed it in my current version.

Feedback/questions part 2

- "The goddess" scorned and unleashed weapon names are too long to fit in the equip screen. Also, where do they come from?
- We could really use to revert some staves to one handed and maybe add Darkness grimoire as a counterpart to the Gran Grimoire (seeing how much you like references, the Fire Emblem saga has tons of material for grimoire names, especially dark ones). AKA i think we really need more one handed options for mages.
- [...]coat and Mail body armor desperately need some unique effects now that they lost their +element bonus.
- Fusils are completely devoid of effects, be it racial bonuses, on hit, or on use. Any reason why?

The goddess sword originally comes from a book, it was then implemented in Path of Exile (which the author generously supported) as a trio of swords but the idea later had to be scrapped after the game got restructured and it's currently two swords and an offshoot, it's mentioned in the readme. It was a good idea originally and I'm keeping it in as a homage of sorts, they're also fairly close to specs in function, for instance the first sword is heavy but costs no RT to swing, which is mentioned in the book, the second one has no physical damage component and pretty much disables casting and the final form is a hybrid weapon with a unique ability similar to its original effect. The names look fine in item list and when you equip them so it isn't much of a problem.

The point of something+board casters is you want to use a shield to be more durable, not to have whatever a 1h handed weapon offers, I can't have it compete in raw power with the 2h option in any way. More books would be nice but the item table is currently topped out, can't fit a toothpick in there and there aren't nearly enough books to cover the progression and also endgame options.

Coats and mails are strong defensively and can make you really resistant to an element with a focused setup but they could use something, got that one noted in longterm list but don't have anything good currently.

Two reasons, fusils don't really need it, and they're also a 'tech' weapon so they intentionally have nothing unnatural going on, as the Balboede are mentioned to be uncomfortable with magic.

New favorites: 

• The surprisingly amazing Hydra with its six awesome special attacks!
  • Cressida and her undead - I can't wait until her servants are destroyed in one hit!
  • The best fun-feature of this game: Deneb and the top-notch writing job on her dialogues!!!!  I'm inspired, I must create a female chick, like Deneb, in our game too.
Edited by mercy

Reached end of chapter 3, i'd like to hear your opinion about the following

- I'd consider giving back boulder throw to the flying beasts. Maybe by boosting the dragons to have the 6 range one and give the 2 fliers the 4 range one. I think it really hurts them to be left without a ranged attack altogether.
- Familiars have special skills both divine and dark but can't use dark magic at all (despite being able to use the other elements). I find this strange, i think the debuffing Dark magic suits them well, especially for the Pumpkin variant
- Rampart Aura feels a bit too exclusive. I think all the classes that are capped to RA I can affort the boost to II and TK can get up to 3.

2 hours ago, Caledor said:

Reached end of chapter 3, i'd like to hear your opinion about the following

- I'd consider giving back boulder throw to the flying beasts. Maybe by boosting the dragons to have the 6 range one and give the 2 fliers the 4 range one. I think it really hurts them to be left without a ranged attack altogether.
- Familiars have special skills both divine and dark but can't use dark magic at all (despite being able to use the other elements). I find this strange, i think the debuffing Dark magic suits them well, especially for the Pumpkin variant
- Rampart Aura feels a bit too exclusive. I think all the classes that are capped to RA I can affort the boost to II and TK can get up to 3.

Flying beasts have enough advantages as is, and they're a bit anatomically inadequate to toss rocks.

There's something I have planned for familiars, their current setup is just for compatibility.

I think it's a good thing, it gives tanks a selling point in endgame when strong damage dealers start edging out.

Waiting for v1.0.

Started playing measly FF Tactics with its weak story writing - compared to Tactics Ogre, until Vision v1.0 arrives.

3 hours ago, Roryn said:

Any news about next release?

Actually, yes, it was supposed to be this evening so that's quite a nose you got carrying that monocle, sir.

The version 0.93 is up on moddb, there are some problems with the version I'm uploading here so it will most likely be up tomorrow.

Absolutely loving the Warden class so far. However, Pumpkin Strike/Crystal Pumpkin seem to use spell hit for accuracy (only Spellstrike increases their hit rate) even though their damage scales with physical stats. Is that intentional (to fit the class's hybrid nature)?

Also, holy crap are non-holy/dark dragons and octopi really evasive towards projectile spells now. ~50-59% chance to hit in clear weather, 30-39% in blizzard/rain.

Edited by Rucession
Accuracy

It's semi-intentional, as it's the lesser evil out of very few choices, and it kinda makes sense.

High spell evasion is a side effect of sorts, as their avoidance scaling is different from humans, this probably doesn't fit their archetype that well so it will likely get tweaked later.

1 hour ago, Zanmato said:

Hi. 

Is it possible to change the player faction color? Green is so boring.

I don't think so, unlike portraits, it isn't specified anywhere which faction uses which palette so it's likely hardcoded.

I found a bug, the Silver Brand (1h sword) shows as a 2h sword on the item menu. Looking at the tooltip it says 1h but when equiped it works as a 2h sword.

Sword.png

53 minutes ago, Zanmato said:

I found a bug, the Silver Brand (1h sword) shows as a 2h sword on the item menu. Looking at the tooltip it says 1h but when equiped it works as a 2h sword.

That's no bug, the 1h sword sidegrades are bastard swords. They still use the same skill but require both hands, not quite as strong as a real 2h sword but it's lighter and faster, can be handy if the class is already sturdy so it doesn't really need a shield and you want a bit of extra damage.

What do you think about letting classes use any kind of weapon or at least lessen some weapon restrictions, for the sake of customization and fun.

You did an awesome job with the game, all classes really feel unique and useful, but we already have many limitations with passives and action skills to distinguish one from another, i don't think the weapon restrictions are necessary.

For example, i don't see why a Knight wouldn't be capable of using 2h greatswords, or even 2h katanas if they have learn it from the warrior class. I know some combinations won't be as effective, but it is nice to have the option and i think it adds fun to the game especially because of the finishing moves.

Edited by Zanmato

It's about expectations, when you see a knight you're expecting him to be annoyingly tanky and hit not as hard as a terror knight or swordmaster, if I lower his stats so he doesn't do as much damage with 2h weapons, then he will do less damage with 1h than, for instance spellblade, and that isn't good. And it's the whole purpose of a knight, you're using that unit so you could have something that will always be standing and shield others, using 2h weapons goes against their core concept. Weapon restrictions are also a part of the overall balance, some classes don't have access to powerful weapons because that would make them too strong, a good example for that is warlock that would kick too much ass with his dragon magic if you let him use a 2h axe or hammer, and some have access to a lot of weapons because they're very specialized otherwise, like dragoon or beast tamer, so it expands the class a bit.

I could extend the weapon choices into similar weapons where it makes sense, though, rogue or warlock don't have access to 1h swords because they're dexterity classes but maybe I should just let the player make the wrong choice if he wants.

Edited by raics

I personally believe that limited weapon selection greatly benefits both the tactical and role-playing aspects of the game. Limiting a class's weapon selection allows each class to have its own distinct place on the battlefield, and encourages the player to use a wider variety of classes to fit their tactical needs. Having a distinct set of equippable weapons also helps to define each class's role-playing identity; Swordmasters favor bladed weapons, Spellblades prefer more refined weapons (swords/spears/staves), and Ninjas use more exotic arms such as fists and katanas. Not to mention the fact that there already is a class that allows you almost unlimited customization in terms of abilities and weapon choices - The Lord.

Something like that, I've been doing a bit of thinking today and most weapons that make sense for each class seem to already be available. If I, dunno, gave spellblades more bladed weapons as in daggers or 1h katana it wouldn't really do that much for them.

12 hours ago, raics said:

It's about expectations, when you see a knight you're expecting him to be annoyingly tanky and hit not as hard as a terror knight or swordmaster

Yes, but in the knight class description it says "a capable defender and strong attacker", so i would expect a knight to also have a good offensive power, thus making sense for him to use 2h weapons to go more offensive, same with Terror knight, that should also be able to use 1h and shield, since they are suppose to weaken enemies and "be a wall to enemy advance".

Also as i said before, you did a really good job distinguishing classes by changing skills/passives and magic, i just think some weapon limitations are not necessary, like i mentioned above, since it fits the class archetype and probably won't affect balance too much.

12 hours ago, raics said:

I could extend the weapon choices into similar weapons where it makes sense, though, rogue or warlock don't have access to 1h swords because they're dexterity classes but maybe I should just let the player make the wrong choice if he wants.

I think its a good idea. Yeah some wouldn't make sense stat wise, but i would still like to have the choice even if it is the wrong one, plus stats can be increased and you can max any stats if you really want to put time into it.

I guess FFT spoiled me too much, i love that game customization :D

Anyway, I would like to thank you for the awesome work you have been doing with TO, i'm having a lot of fun playing it(even without my 2h knight named Wallace xD).