raics

Feedback and Suggestions

599 posts in this topic

If you tried the mod and have something to share about your experience, be it small nitpicks, ideas, random thoughts, ramblings, musings or, why not, praise, you can do so here. In case you want an extended discussion regarding some specific aspect of the game or mod you can open a new thread instead.

These are some of the more obvious known issues, some are low priority and some are either extremely tedious or tricky to fix.

• Missing character sprite in the opening scenes of Donnalto's or Rudlum's battles.
  • Funny item, skill or spell sorting in some categories (spells can be manually sorted for use so this is a low priority one).
  • Disabled skills in enemy skill lists which should be replaced with something more useful.
  • Identical descriptions on some lategame weapons.

Consolidated changelist up to version 0.92a can be found here, along with an up-to-date class sheet detailing the skills and abilities of all classes in the mod.

On the same address you can also find a damage calculator table explaining some of the mechanical nuances is available in the same location, it is made for vanilla game but all of the formulas are still the same, consult the manual sheet for more info.

Edited by raics

Meta suggestion: Adding a list of changes in the forum (perhaps another main thread presenting the project) so that lurkers or people who don't know about the project get sold by the changes (since they are plenty) :coolguy:

So far, about to hit chapter 2. Couple things I'm not keen on are no scroll use but I understand it for balance issues. In loving the recruit tp cost reduction and exorcise I think was reduced too. Not super happy with the donnalto and other portrait changes but I'll live. I'll post more ramblings later and when I'm not in my phone trying to post all this. Otherwise I'm loving the balances and changes. 

Thanks, Hart, I'll be sure to do that.

3 hours ago, Kain Stryder said:

So far, about to hit chapter 2. Couple things I'm not keen on are no scroll use but I understand it for balance issues. In loving the recruit tp cost reduction and exorcise I think was reduced too. Not super happy with the donnalto and other portrait changes but I'll live. I'll post more ramblings later and when I'm not in my phone trying to post all this. Otherwise I'm loving the balances and changes. 

Yeah, those visual changes to some of the more notable characters had a somewhat mixed reception, they kinda grow on you and being able to tell named characters from generics is nifty but I'm not adamant about keeping them. Scrolls were a bit cheesy, I think, this way the class spell selection is more meaningful, I can also make some spells more readily available and cheaper so you don't have to blow your bank if you got a ton of casters around.

I don't see what purpose Sidearms are suppose to fill now? They're way heavier than the other one-handed ranged options, don't deal more damage, and have less range.

5 hours ago, Valenhil said:

I don't see what purpose Sidearms are suppose to fill now? They're way heavier than the other one-handed ranged options, don't deal more damage, and have less range.

Yeah, they have to be heavy, now that they aren't consumable we're supposed to imagine the unit carrying a stack and retrieving them when possible, kind of, somehow.

They're the strongest 1h ranged option after pistols and fire in an arc which is always useful, but I agree there's a bit more room there if we account for the weight, I could make them a bit stronger. Probably faster too, it kinda makes sense they should be the fastest ranged weapon because you don't have to reload, that would compensate for the weight somewhat.

Oh by the way I am longueiro12 from the gamefaqs conversation.

I still stand to giving ranged weapons even harsher RT penalties, so making sidearms the short RT ones would work, since you have to be way closer to use them. That would make sidearms very good weapons for scout-like units like Vartan and Rogue. And 2H weapons are very good now so it's no simple choice for the frontline melee like Dragoon or Berserker.

I've a bit of a crazy suggestion off our discussion of Beast Tamer. I was thinking that maybe the problem with Beast Tamer's and Dragoon's situationality is that they're defined by the presence of beasts of dragons on only one side of the battle. So I considered that maybe both would be improved if merging them so the Dragoon was both the Dragon slayer and empowerer, and Tamer both the beast slayer and empowerer. That way they achieve usefulness both through your team and the enemy team.

I don't think beast master is really a situational class because he isn't encounter-dependent, you decide if you want to bring beasts or dragons into battle or not. It was a problem for Dragoons so they got good stats and that nifty jump skill, they aren't a dead weight when the enemy has no monsters around like in vanilla. Sure, dragoons could recruit dragons in first Ogre Battle but that's where their love affair with wildlife ended, in other games they have been either a dragon slayer or just a strong attacker with a bit of magic.

I haven't been taking too many liberties with the class if it has an established image in the franchise, if I made warlocks into a semi-frontliner that's because they work that way in KoL and OB64.

But you also have no reason to use Beast Tamer if you're not using beasts. And Dragoon might not be a dead weight, but their skills are still exclusively for countering specific enemies.

If Dragoon had Empower Dragon and Tamer Beastslayer, the end result balance wise would be essentially the same, but they'd both become more flexible in how the player uses them. It'll at least certainly encourage players to field Tamers more as a response to the enemy team, and when they do, also raise some beasts to complete the synergy. I think it's a more rewarding dynamic than keeping them restricted entirely to either the enemies you're fighting or the units you're bringing.

Anyway, some more considerations about weapon types.

Fist's poison proc is nearly irrelevant, but they're also plain better than Daggers due to the avoidance bonus. Maybe the avoidance should go to Katana and fists get the TP proc so they're anti-physical while daggers are anti-caster, and katanas are simply defensive, like spears. Dagger's mind bonus also doesn't really help anyone much, as it barely helps melee's magic resistance and casters don't really need the extra accuracy. Maybe agility instead.

Swords's Stagger proc also feels lackluster.

Nah, I don't want to change the direction of a class without a very good reason, they merged the male and female tamers into one class here and that's fine because those are very similar, changing a dragoon into a dragon supporter turns him into something entirely different.

I'd like to keep the avd bonus on fists because that's the only thing you'd want to use the pronged weapons for, it makes sense, and they're also dead useful that way on classes that don't attack much but are getting attacked a lot, like clerics. A lot of mage classes can use a dagger so it needs some kind of caster bonus and mnd also grants some spell damage, for other classes silence has a broader application as an on hit effect than, dunno, MP leech or enfeeble which would be good only for casters.

I could give spellbooks enfeeble on hit, though, that would fit.

Sweetness! It's up!!

Enfeeble on hit sounds good, mostly feels like books allow for an armored caster of sorts. Maybe a defense bonus? Enfeeble is probably better.

Any new discoveries for potentially renaming monster units? I miss ol BEEF the golem.

Can't wait for the cursed changes!

Also, I was curious about an ability from FFTA. I'd assume for Juggernauts, but there was one called Monkey Grip that allowed the heftier lizard guys to use a 2hander with a shield. Probably would be a mess to make and balance, arguably would self balance by virtue of RT, but what do You think?

I R the same coffee potato that's been spamming ya on multiple sites, haha

Edited by coffee potato

I don't think renaming existing units will be possible at all, unless I turn into a mips jedi at some point and find some way to 1) make the whole thing work and 2) add it to the shop interface. I could just circumvent the whole thing if I manage to add non-human units to shops, probably, it would make the dragon part of deneb recruitment kinda pointless, though, and I'm sure everybody would get bummed out something awful about that one.

Just remembered you asked what's the point of mage pants at some point, arkhiatros pants grant 10% to all racial resistances and the ones for mages have 10% res all elements, which is pretty nice.

EDIT:

Honestly, no idea about implementing monkey grip, maybe the force will lead me to it if that thing above happens.

Edited by raics

May the mips be with You!

But yeah, personally I'd vote for that, but then again, I still have no idea who would ever figure all that out. 

Do You think You might make a training mode analogue at the point of crazy mastery?

Would it be possible to let ghosts teleport again? I don't see much benefit to the whole thing of turning them into skeleghosts. Even when sped up, the AI seems good at erasing them.

The trouble with ghosts is they already have float, I'll see what happens if I remove it, we will probably get something that looks like a rag rolling in the dirt, might be funny :)

That sounds hilarious. Moppy the ghost bringing the pain (From mortal coil)!

Also, random ideas:

Curse, can it not suck? I see one use against high level golems, and chipping them down faster exactly once. Maybe 50% health and 80% mp? It's so cool, but does so little.

Cashromancer. I always wanted to see a money class to actually use Spendthrift. Anyone actually run into that every?

Ideas: revive for 10k, damage for 5k, find coins on moving, Spendthrift,  more money stuff. Bribe for 100k to instakill anything. Hire rando for 50k with a high success on anything? There's no way this will work, is there?

Edited by coffee potato

Three curse spells are too much, right, I was thinking of just one spell with curse status and using the other two for spells that buff undead in some way or do something to the living.

Spendthrift and Paranoia spells don't have a scroll you can learn them from, not sure if those work when you debuff an enemy with them. Anyway, goth doesn't exist as a cost type so it would require deeper hacking, I could easily have skills or spells consume oberyths, though, we'll see if more people are interested in that.

Edited by raics

Love your mod xD

Btw if you have some free time could you update the readme so that all changes from previous version are merged into one concise changelogs?

I meant sometimes I get mixed up with some changes because they are listed as per version of the mod.  

Money costing stuff sounds good, and actually, maybe it would be a cool thing for the Buccaneer, Lord, Princess, or Songstress? Granted, that last would probably be in reverse, but maybe she got a sudden inheritance and uppity attitude or something. The Lord definitely seems like the sort to throw money at a problem, though. 

So out of curiosity, when You do the whole drop update, would that involve just swapping their drop tables to have only a particular item, or would they just dump out all their good stuff like an amazing loot pinata?

Do Fusilliers have any unused sprites by chance? Always seemed strange how bright green they are, seemed like they should have drabber colors, but somehow I doubt they made those. Just curious.

If an enemy has more than one guaranteed item, like those temple bosses, they should drop them all in addition to any random items, I don't think setting it up would be a problem.

Generic class colors are what they look like when they belong to your faction, 0 is for your soldiers, 1 is for galgastan I think, and so on. I can't change what a single class looks like because it's assigned automatically.

YESSSSSS, Loot pinatas!!!

Bummer, not sure why they decided to go for such bright colors for the male ones. Oh well. 

Another quick question, will there be a chance to change the way the recipe book and apocryphas drop past the first shrine encounter? I was just resetting Ifrit's arrow-ridden corpose back up over and over again since yesterday, only to find out that their post-sidequest versions apparently don't drop the Shieldcraft book in this version. Seems weird that they basically locked off what seems to be 1-2 crafting books and 1-2 spells for the second go-around, with a high chance of missing those second things. 

Edited by coffee potato

I suppose so, we'll see once I dig it out. It's possible that their loot table changes after the first kill because the number of slots is limited so the apocrypha II drop with a level requirement replaces the crafting book.

I tried both, and according to several places, it was almost like it was a different version, now dropping fire gauntlets and shields, Oracle marks, but no books. How goes the learning stuff?

Not doing that yet, I'll do a minor patch with cursed weapons first and then try sniffing out that drop table, can't work on it as much as I'd like lately.

Sweet! Thank You for all the dedication to this thing man!

So random curiosity. Did You come across any signs that they had put in the damage carryover feature from the original for longer siege fights?

Edited by coffee potato