Sign in to follow this  
Cross

A little introduction and impressions

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

i just registered in the forum, was a member on ID formerly known as CrazyClown, well I was a lurker for the most part of my stay. Just started on your mod and loving most of it.

Some impressions/thoughts on my play-through are:

1. The bosses in the beginning are kinda like scrubs...or is it just me? Hard hitting yeah but easy to deal with for most of the fight (especially Rufus).

2. What's the deal with the giant crane/robot/errr thing in the shinra building? Is it like a optional boss or something?

Edited by Cross

Something I saw with Gjoerulv's hardcore mod was that people were finding the early areas to be a wall which put them off the mod altogether. I wanted to avoid that with NT, so the early bosses are designed to ease people into the game, let people experiment with the earlier availability of things like Time and Barrier. That being said, if you're on top of things and hitting a boss' weaknesses then you should be able to blast through them all. Elemental is a key thing for physical attacks, and some strong status ailments will work on a lot of the Disc 1/2 bosses.

The crane robot on Floor 65 is an early peek at a later optional superboss; when you return during the Midgar Raid it's more feasible to beat him then, but there's a 3rd revisit to Shinra HQ on Disc 3 when it'll likely be the best time to take him out.

Something I saw with Gjoerulv's hardcore mod was that people were finding the early areas to be a wall which put them off the mod altogether.

Ah, I see, but still would have loved to see some interesting mechanics there.

The crane robot on Floor 65 is an early peek at a later optional superboss; when you return during the Midgar Raid it's more feasible to beat him then, but there's a 3rd revisit to Shinra HQ on Disc 3 when it'll likely be the best time to take him out.

So that's how it is, I was wondering why it hit so hard, seemed so out-of-place. Good thing it didn't have a game over flag.

So you said in another thread that this mod is finished? Is it a hundred percent or do you plan to tweak some things?

Now its getting interesting, I'm at the cargo ship and the difficulty just spiked. Jenova VECTOR is one bad ass mofo, is he fast as hell or the attacks he has just multi-hit?

Edit: Kinda underwhelmed with the dps of Yuffie.

Edited by Cross

Fort condor is really hard...harder than I remember on my last vanilla play-through or is my memory just bad? Are the rewards missable and are they worth it? I know the last reward is the phoenix materia but other than that I can't remember what the others were.

Jenova Vector might have too much HP from what people are telling me; that, or its weaknesses are immediately obvious (Earth and Holy, with Holy only being available from Restore + Elemental; something I added to NT but its very easy to miss). The mod is essentially finished, only bug fixes going in now while I work on FF8 NT.

Fort Condor is pretty much the same as ever, but if played 'properly' it can get tricky/expensive. For a fast and cost-effective win, deploy one fighter at the red line, start the fight, set speed to slowest; the red line should be further down now due to your fighter. Deploy a fighter on the red line again, and this'll push it down further; repeat until you're very close to the 2 enemies that have spawned, then deploy about 3-4 fighters in both lanes to quickly overwhelm the 2 enemies. Kill them before any new enemies spawn and the map will be 'cleared' resulting in a win. Fighter refund was set to match their cost so assuming no losses you'll break even on your gil.

13 hours ago, Sega Chief said:

Jenova Vector might have too much HP from what people are telling me; that, or its weaknesses are immediately obvious (Earth and Holy, with Holy only being available from Restore + Elemental; something I added to NT but its very easy to miss). The mod is essentially finished, only bug fixes going in now while I work on FF8 NT.

Well for me its not the HP I think its just right...Vector just attacks fast and sometimes the timing messes me up. Ah so no more fine tuning of characters?

13 hours ago, Sega Chief said:

Fort Condor is pretty much the same as ever, but if played 'properly' it can get tricky/expensive. For a fast and cost-effective win, deploy one fighter at the red line, start the fight, set speed to slowest; the red line should be further down now due to your fighter. Deploy a fighter on the red line again, and this'll push it down further; repeat until you're very close to the 2 enemies that have spawned, then deploy about 3-4 fighters in both lanes to quickly overwhelm the 2 enemies. Kill them before any new enemies spawn and the map will be 'cleared' resulting in a win. Fighter refund was set to match their cost so assuming no losses you'll break even on your gil.

Thanks for the tip.:megusta:

Just finished the cosmo canyon scenario, the boss was an easy battle for me. I'm at Mt. Nibel now, should I be fighting the Powersoul Keeper? I tried and didn't make a dent.