Sign in to follow this  
Hart-Hunt

Sharing some notes on a dead project I had

2 posts in this topic

So, a year ago I quietly began brainstorming a FFT rebalance and reimagine project. I nearly completed all skillsets, and designed an original job tree, with growths and multipliers balanced between the jobs. now I'm sharing these notes with you guys for discussion, or for your own amusement.

As I've said in the past, the very first step in a FFT serious project should be figuring out the job tree, and then rebalance the multipliers and growths, then make the skillsets, and then only then move on to everything else. The first 2 steps is eactly what I did, all in paper (or rather excel sheets). I balanced the jobs and multipliers by assigning a pointing system, distributing "100 points" to each class, making them excel in some form or another, and trying to add the most diversity and combinations between melee, magic, speed, so on adn so forth. You'll be able to see some things that I think are essential but haven't seen much in other FFT projects, like extremely low multipliers in MP and speed (but not static growths), a "circular" job tree, that combines melee and magic requirements, and classes differentiating themselves in unique ways, like the lowest tier of magician, Apprentice, actually having the most MP out of all classes, and many other little things that were neat ideas in concept. For easier visualitation I also had included which stats each job would have at level 1, at level 100 if leveled in their base Job, and at level 100 if leveled in the Druid Job, which had the most balanced (read as "average") growths, to see how multipliers worked alongside growths.

If I ever decide to step forward and take back this challenge, well let this be a cool precedence, and a good thread for you guys to say how bad I am at rebalancing FFT. :smugguy: Also, please disregard any and all non-completed skillsets. That part was harder to figure out, and hey, if you guys want to tell me I should change this for that, or even design skillsets yourselves, I don't know. I'm open for ideas. Also, last note, in range you'll see different letters. I don't remember each. W was weapon, S was self (range around the caster), SS iirc was self, and only for the caster. Use your imagination and context and everything will make sense.

Have a good week y'all.

Job tree (notepad file)

Skillsets, Growths and multipliers (Excel file)

Yeah, I do remember you talking about this. Honestly, it looks more like a development tree for the original Tactics Ogre. I'm tempted to actually do a playthrough for people so they can see what that one was like. It was such a strange beast in comparison.