Nowea

NG+'s Secret Santa 2017 Main Thread!

27 posts in this topic

I've been asked to host and run a Secret Santa this year. Anyone that wants to participate just post here and on the 10th I'll distribute names to everyone via PMs so that everyone can get each other gifts.

Edit:

Because I was asked "What is this secret santa thing?" I provide some context: Secret Santa is a Western Christmas tradition in which members of a group or community are randomly assigned a person to whom they give a gift. The identity of the gift giver is a secret not to be revealed.

Rules!

• Do not spend any money! This should all be home-made. Use your imagination! It might be an image edited, it might be a song, it might be anything! But the idea behind this is to have something that will cause a good impact, and that doesn't spend any money! And try to make it look nice, if possible! :D Remember that someone else will also work on a gift for you! Everyone will get their gifts!
  • Do not share who you're giving the present to! The idea is for it to be secret! Also, do not give out your gift until the actual date! Me, or Nowea will be making a thread for the dispersal of the gifts, and everyone will be able to post the gifts from there on!
  • It's a lot better if your gift is designed in some sort of way that fits the person you got! this is a young site, so you probably won't know much about the person you got, but you can always be creative, lurk what kind of things he/she posts, the mods he/she likes... Or you can just do something cool, regardless of who gets it. :D
  • Lurkers be warned: You're invited to this! No one is obligated to participate in any sort of way, but these events make a community! It's a way to get to know each other and to integrate ourselves as a community! So don't be afraid to step in and say "Ah, fuck it. Let's do this!"

Here are the rules of Secret Santa - New Game Plus, edition 2017!

This is an event where all of the participants will get a person at random from their group, and they will secretly arrange a small gift to them! Since that's a very open definition, let me give you some context with said rules!

• Do not spend any money! This should all be home-made. Use your imagination! It might be an image edited, it might be a song, it might be anything! But the idea behind this is to have something that will cause a good impact, and that doesn't spend any money! And try to make it look nice, if possible! :D Remember that someone else will also work on a gift for you! Everyone will get their gifts!
  • Do not share who you're giving the present to! The idea is for it to be secret! Also, do not give out your gift until the actual date! Me, or Nowea will be making a thread for the dispersal of the gifts, and everyone will be able to post the gifts from there on!
  • It's a lot better if your gift is designed in some sort of way that fits the person you got! this is a young site, so you probably won't know much about the person you got, but you can always be creative, lurk what kind of things he/she posts, the mods he/she likes... Or you can just do something cool, regardless of who gets it. :D
  • Lurkers be warned: You're invited to this! No one is obligated to participate in any sort of way, but these events make a community! It's a way to get to know each other and to integrate ourselves as a community! So don't be afraid to step in and say "Ah, fuck it. Let's do this!"

Any questions? Feel free to ask below! Nowea and I will try to be as clear as possible!

Also needless to say, I'll participate myself!

On 12/2/2017 at 5:15 AM, pbrand said:

I'll join in if I get my bonus this year :/:(

You don't need to get a bonus because all gifts are supposed to not cost any money! so be sure to participate!

I suppose I could actually try to participate in the community after 2+ years of lurking around you guys.

Though as a warning I don't really have much creative skills beyond "I can play video games" so I'm not sure what I can do exactly, but to my understanding part of the point is doing something past what I'm used to doing. (Even if it doesn't end being very outstanding.)
Plus, hearing that even some of the regulars around here didn't always finish their Secret Santa does make me feel a little better.

So yeah, I can give this a try and throw my name in the hat, even though I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to contribute.

1 hour ago, A Dummy said:

I suppose I could actually try to participate in the community after 2+ years of lurking around you guys.

Though as a warning I don't really have much creative skills beyond "I can play video games" so I'm not sure what I can do exactly, but to my understanding part of the point is doing something past what I'm used to doing. (Even if it doesn't end being very outstanding.)
Plus, hearing that even some of the regulars around here didn't always finish their Secret Santa does make me feel a little better.

So yeah, I can give this a try and throw my name in the hat, even though I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to contribute.

Well, one year I made an LP for somebody.  So "I can play video games" is enough, if you want to do something like that. :P

I'm in.

Awesome! There's plenty of people already! Let's see how many we can have participating!

2 hours ago, A Dummy said:

That's the worst case scenario, because that means someone else wouldn't get their gift! So try not to do that everyone!

You know I'm in just because I had fun the last year (besides, I guess this is a good as any time to post my info on the forum)

On 12/4/2017 at 6:11 AM, SerjTargarien said:

I'm in! Loooong time lurker (and sometimes Discord chatter) here. Are they physical gifts? Virtual ones? How does the gifting work?

The prefered way are virtual gifts, like an image, a song, something that can be shared virtually. There's been various kind of gifts in the other years. The thing about physical gifts is that they'd cost money, so consider not giving out those because it's not the spirit of the event to actually spend money. 

Here's one old dispersal thread as a reference!

http://ngplus.net/InsaneDifficultyArchive/www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index6df2.html?/topic/7179-id-event-2015-secret-santa-dispersal/

Quoted from Stann in the last year's dispersal:

"Next year, we should get everyone to write a short paragraph about themselves. That way, forum stalking won't be 100% necessary to think of an idea."

I, for one, would ignore any paragraphs written, unless I didn't have any ideas.  Half the fun is trying to piece together what somebody might want, even if it's harder and I might make a mistake.

In the past, I've made a song for Angel (not the one currently registered on the site, but an old member we now haven't seen in a while), an opening video to use for FFTA:X AI Tournament for FFTA, and designed a holiday greeting in Terraria for AuraPlatonic.

And this is only what I've done. There has been all kinds of submissions -- Hart-Hunt made a chip tune out of one of my songs with a band I used to play with, and a lot of holiday greeting pictures have been made, either with ties to what has happened in the community, or just with a general greeting.

...you can do pretty much whatever, just do something nice. :)

6 hours ago, Kaffe Myers said:

And this is only what I've done. There has been all kinds of submissions -- Hart-Hunt made a chip tune out of one of my songs with a band I used to play with

Dude, I totally forgot about that. That was so cool.

All the participants have been sent Discord and Forum messages telling them who they are making a gift for. If there is any confusion, please contact @seibaby as he is the only one with the master list. (I deleted it so I couldn't go through and remember anything)

I want to personally thank @Nowea and @seibaby for helping out with the event. Let's rock everyone. With these things, making the gifs soner is better than making them late, because one always tends to kick it towards the last minute.

Important news:

The dispersal thread will be made in the 23th! Gifts will be encouraged to be posted on that same day, but with these things, we know real life can get in the way, so we give a 3 day leeway afterwards, til the 26th. So, you guys have plenty of time to communicate in case you get late with the gift. Happy gifting!

Oh man I moved last month and my life has been crazy and I missed secret santa.  Which is probably for the best since I totally would not have the time to make anything.  But I will lurk in the dispersal thread after the fact to see what cool things emerge in the first NG Plus Secret Santa!