Stew

Wrexsoul is wrecking my soul

11 posts in this topic

I'm in Cyan's Dream trying to fight Wrexsoul and he's just brutally/impossibly hard. Normally I would just change the battle speed to make a fight easier but that's not an option so here I am, one last cry for help before I let this game go. Having lost brutally several times to Umaro and even the dream stooges (I eventually cheesed the stooges out by maxing Terra's mdef and putting Ribbon/Spirit Ring on Sabin, which made the fight a normal difficulty rather than a slog through RNG)

I'm using Sabin/Mog/Terra for this fight. My current strategy is to regenX and then doom one character at a time, but when Wrexsoul comes out these things happen

1. He's out for about 3 turns

2. He and his buddies are spamming dark/meteo/flare

3. somebody is dead at the beginning of this phase

Of course in the original game this fight had similar problems but the Wrex buddies were far less damaging. Flare is non-elemental so my fire shield isn't helping there, and he's undead so I can't even use frostgore claw on Sabin for fear of using death to reset his HP right? It seems impossible for me at my squishyness and level. I'm level 30 by the way. I figured level 30 would be appropriate for this early WoR stuff but I'm getting almost one shot by flare every time.

I wanted to play this mod for a slight difference in tactics, but while they say "This isn't a difficulty mod" I'm having trouble believing them. I was not looking for an increase in difficulty but here we are. Even if there is a cheesy way to beat him let me know, but with the way this game is going I feel like it's just not for me, despite only having minor problems up to this point I feel like the WoR is ridiculously overtuned or I just have no idea how to play this game.

One, I'm assuming you're playing 1.8.6? It was noted that the Soul Fire scripts has a slight error which was causing them to spam Meteo more often than they should. 1.9. will address that.

Two, there is an alternate win condition - just kill both Soul Fires. This is usually the easier option.

40 minutes ago, Stew said:

Any special requirement for that? I was under the impression that the mini wrexs would respawn. 

If all the enemies currently on the field are dead you win. So Wrexsoul inside someone and both Soul Fires dying at the same (or similar) time.

Soul Fires regain full HP if Wrexsoul respawns. If he doesn't, however, you can kill both and win the battle that way. They will try and prevent it with !Condemned physical, Flare, etc, but not to the degree you seem to be suffering. If one is down, the other one gets a little fiercer, but again, not to the degree you seem to be suffering because of the script error.

Sabin's Golem will shut down their !Condemned physical, meaning so long as you keep your HP above one-shot range from Flare/Meteo, the Wrexsouls should go down without too much of a hitch. Mog dances Water Rondo or jumps with Trident, Sabin uses either Bum Rush, Aurabolt, or his Ocean/Spirit claws (Soul Fires ain't undead, so the Drain proc won't hurt Sabin), and I guess Terra does Terra stuff (heals, swings a sword if she's vigor, otherwise casts Storm).

Thanks for the replies. I used most of your advice, and managed morph better. I had forgotten about the damage taken during morph. Just killing the little dudes was easy like you said. Thanks for the help. 

I'm having trouble with them as well. Does anyone know how much HP/MP the Soulblazer's have?

Also, when I use Rasp on Wrexsoul, it says "Wrexsoul lost focus" then "Wrexsoul came to his senses" immediately after. What does that mean?  

I was watching a video, and is the drop the same if you kill Wrexsoul or just the Soulblazers?

Dealing MP damage to Wrexsoul stalls him, which can prevent him from possessing you.

The drop is always the same - this is why Shemp appears at the beginning of the fight.

10 minutes ago, BTB said:

Dealing MP damage to Wrexsoul stalls him, which can prevent him from possessing you.

The drop is always the same - this is why Shemp appears at the beginning of the fight.

Huh. I have played this one for years and this is a first for me. Good to know