Sign in to follow this  
Hordequester

Small, Temporary annoyance fix

8 posts in this topic

Got a bit annoyed with the disc swapping and software mode things to solve transparency issues in PCSX2 for SMTN Hardtype. So, I did a quick and dirty edit of the GSdx graphics plugin and swapped the original game's CRC for the current version's CRC after patching. Also, included a cheat pnach that fixes the wobbly screen crap.. or it's supposed to. If this doesn't work for you, sorry.. just did it quick to get playing.

1. Copy the cheats_ws folder to main PCSX2 folder and  GSdx*.dll files to the plugins folder (backup originals if you want)
2. Enable Widescreen thing in System button of PCSX2
3. pick AVX2/SSE2/SSE4 in video plugin and set DX Hardware Mode, Interlace none, and Aggressive CRC. Whatever you want for the rest
4. Run the game and it'll load the hacks that fix some of the transparency issues. Though, I still prefer Software mode myself most of the time lol..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11XvSXFCZFYdH7syaNhW83kacG6M-ErV4/view?usp=sharing

If you're curious..here's the line to change to do this yourself in PCSX2 source. I'm sure there's a way to just add it along side the original but replacing it was easiest for me. E5AF9132 is the changed CRC as of 1.5.1.
plugins/GSdx/GSCrc.cpp
Line 260 {0xE8FCF8EC, SMTNocturne, US, ZWriteMustNotClear}, // saves/reloads z buffer around shadow...

Edited by Hordequester

Thanks for the info!  Though I tried the settings on my own machine and now I'm quite certain I will never sleep again.

6z2MGjn.png

haha yeah it's not perfect.. but without the fixes the hospital is blindingly unplayable in hardware. I'm wondering why it does the oddball transparency thing at certain angles. Like when you're talking to the magazine lobby girl.. some angles she's fine and others she's horrifying. 

I would just always play in software if it wasn't so blurry on my tv and my eyesight wasn't so terrible. The ws cheat though is helpful in either mode for me anyway. Without it, the screen is nauseatingly flickery.

Edited by Hordequester

5 hours ago, Hordequester said:

The ws cheat though is helpful in either mode for me anyway. Without it, the screen is nauseatingly flickery.

Setting interlacing to auto has always fixed the flickering for me.  But yeah, the transparency is a whole other issue.  Is there a particular reason for your interlace and CRC settings?

I hate what PCSX2's transparency hacks do to the map (making doors invisible or something, don't exactly recall).  Between that and no HD in software mode, there's no great option for me, and I typically just deal with the transparency glitches.

Having the ability to enable the transparency hacks for Hardtype is certainly a good addition to have, though!  So thanks again.  I'll have to include those in future releases, and see if there's any other PCSX2 improvements that can be made.  What did you do for the pnach?

Hmm I was trying some things out, and Hardtype seems to look and work great in the current PCSX2 v1.5.0 using all default settings with OpenGL Hardware for the graphics plugin.  No disk swapping or anything else required.  Too bad its not a stable build, but that might still be the best option available.

1 hour ago, zombero said:

Hmm I was trying some things out, and Hardtype seems to look and work great in the current PCSX2 v1.5.0 using all default settings with OpenGL Hardware for the graphics plugin.  No disk swapping or anything else required.  Too bad its not a stable build, but that might still be the best option available.

Unfortunately the media pc I play on doesnt have opengl support current enough for pcsx2. As for the settings in my list..they were what was recommended when the transparency hacks were first released and not in the plugin..so they may be obsolete. The ws hack is the only thing that worked on my display. I tried every configuration in the settings and it would always go jittery randomly after awhile. This is with widescreen mode on in core graphics settings btw.

I will check out the new version too though maybe something in there I can appropriate to dx11

Edit: Huh, well latest dev branch and master branch both just crash when I try to run anything.. no error log =D Guess I won't try that lol.
Edit2: Ok got it to run.. had to run in 32bit for some reason 64 just crashed repeatedly. it looks like they use a different method in ogl to handle texture resizing.. not something that can be applied to DX11. Still all eyeballs, melted faces , and missing doors in new version DX11. Oh well..

Edited by Hordequester

Yeah, I didn't notice any significant improvements in the DX11.

21 hours ago, Hordequester said:

The ws hack is the only thing that worked on my display. I tried every configuration in the settings and it would always go jittery randomly after awhile. This is with widescreen mode on in core graphics settings btw.

Huh, strange.  Even with widescreen turned on, it removed the jitters for me.  Guess it must be a GFX card or driver difference.  I assume you'd also need the ws hack to fix the jitters in vanilla Nocturne?  (using the same settings)

Sounds like the Tips for PCSX2 section is going to get complicated!

7 hours ago, zombero said:

Yeah, I didn't notice any significant improvements in the DX11.

Huh, strange.  Even with widescreen turned on, it removed the jitters for me.  Guess it must be a GFX card or driver difference.  I assume you'd also need the ws hack to fix the jitters in vanilla Nocturne?  (using the same settings)

Sounds like the Tips for PCSX2 section is going to get complicated!

Yeah the patch is for vanilla and it works on the CE translation as well (or at least for the hour I played around with it). Just have to match the name the pnach to the CRC of the disc you want it to work on. You're probably right about the different cards/drivers. Worst case it doesn't hurt anything either way.

P.S. Thank you for the mod.. it's been a fun distraction so far.

Edited by Hordequester