Sign in to follow this  
BTB

Brave New World 1.9.0 is now available!

156 posts in this topic

On 15/05/2018 at 2:12 PM, GLH said:

...I'm not having this issue at all. Infact no one has been having this sort of issue. So there's likely something funky going on with your end of things. The issue now is figuring out where and why.

I have it but didn't mention it cause it is a common thing in old J-RPG to have a sometime insane encounter rate.

Altough I remember during my playthrough after the Magitek Factory and just before joining Setzer and the Cranes I had a very crazy encounter rate couldn't make one step without having an encounter dunno if it was bad luck or a glitch.

On 15/05/2018 at 2:12 PM, GLH said:

...I'm not having this issue at all. Infact no one has been having this sort of issue. So there's likely something funky going on with your end of things. The issue now is figuring out where and why.

I have it but didn't mention it cause it is a common thing in old J-RPG to have a sometime insane encounter rate.

Altough I remember during my playthrough after the Magitek Factory and just before joining Setzer and the Cranes I had a very crazy encounter rate couldn't make one step without having an encounter dunno if it was bad luck or a glitch.

As far as I know, it works but not as intended. Nowea and I tested it and it does seem to raise the floor, but like I said, it doesn't preserve the original encounter rate.

On 5/15/2018 at 8:12 AM, GLH said:

First, have you applied the encounter patch? If not, it can be found HERE. The patch will be automatically applied to 1.9.1 and/or 2.0 should no other major problems pop up (meaning you won't need to apply the encounter patch next update), but if you have not used this patch here, you should apply it to fix your problem.

Second, do you know if your ROM file is headered or unheadered? A lot of newbies aren't aware that there are two different types of roms, and applying the wrong patch types can create issues. So if you have a headered ROM (something you can check with some various modding tools for FF6), you need to use headered patches, and vice versa with unheadered roms/patches.

Hopefully this reply of mine will help you solve the issues you are having here with that.^_^

I didn’t know about the encounter patch. Thanks for helping me out. I’ll give it a try, though it sounds like it still doesn’t totally correct things. Strange, I didn’t feel overleveled going into the battle against Kefka in Narshe. Are things balanced with the incorrect encounter rate in mind?

If devs are looking for enhancement ideas, setting encounter rate would be a huge QoL improvement. Maybe just a simple “high med low” in the config menu. The battles are very interesting, and I love to see how every enemy is changed from the original game, but sometimes I just want to get from point A to point B and not have to waste time on wave after wave of weak enemies that are no threat. 

Edited by GeradFigaro

The patch seems to have helped. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Got up through the opera. I really like how the new script communicates the intent of the story much better. There is ONE line I think should be changed though. Many players bring the Figaro Bros along to the Opera. When the party recruits Setzer, Celes takes a two headed coin from Edgar and uses it to fleece Setzer. Sabin realizes that it’s the coin Edgar used in their bet, and his response is “What the hell, Edgar?” Sabin should not sound angry. This is supposed to be more of an “oh shit, Edgar lost on purpose so I could have my freedom” revelation. Maybe instead of what the hell, something like “oh my god” or even the original “brother, don’t tell me...”. Sabin already respects Edgar, and now he realizes that Edgar sacrificed his freedom so that Sabin could live the way he wanted.   This is his most emotional moment in the game. 

On 5/17/2018 at 0:09 AM, seibaby said:

As far as I know, it works but not as intended. Nowea and I tested it and it does seem to raise the floor, but like I said, it doesn't preserve the original encounter rate.

@Mishrak

I believe you had a different experience with this, yes?

All I remember is the last time I used it I got several 2 step encounters in a row near Thamasa on the overworld.  It shouldn't have been possible from my understanding.

Just 120,000k. I addressed him during the last round of boss HP tweaking by lowering his magic defense, so the fight goes by quicker if you take advantage of his fire/holy weaknesses.

(Since he's no longer undead, I should probably remove his poison immunity so that Raze will be effective.)

There’s a lot to like about this mod, at least in WoB, but I don’t know what you’re thinking with numbers like that. A lot of these WoR bosses are taking me upwards of a half hour to beat (or worse if I die). I hate to say it, but I’m actually getting bored, and I love FF6. It’s just every single enemy has SO MUCH HP.

I’m noticing that a lot of fights and even random encounters are designed around the assumption that the player is bringing the optimal team, which completely defeats the purpose of locking the characters into “classes” and limiting what they can do. I don’t want to take the long trek through Phoenix Cave, Narshe, etc just because I didn’t know ahead of time that an elemental dragon would be one-shotting my party, or as is more often the case, my characters can *survive* against the boss, but don’t have the right spells or abilities to hit weaknesses, so the fight takes forever. Atma is another example, where if you don’t bring float it’s basically unwinnable, and if you don’t bring rerise, you’re at the mercy of RNG whether mind blast and a follow up will wipe you. And if you don’t know that ahead of time, you get to go through the floating continent twice. It was a really bad way to cap off the WoB, and it’s really disappointing to see that it is a theme in WoR. 

Edited by GeradFigaro

HP nerfs have happened several times already. Most dragons are either 90/120 (I think), the only ones in KT that are 160 are the goddesses and Kefka (Atma?). Conversely, pdef and mdef has been nerfed twice in there, meaning you can hit harder.

If fights are taking this long, that tells me you haven’t found the enemy’s weakness yet. Or you’re just sticking with fight as the main damage option even when it’s not really doing much damage. 

Edit:

Everything has a weakness to exploit.

Edited by Mishrak

1 hour ago, GeradFigaro said:

There’s a lot to like about this mod, at least in WoB, but I don’t know what you’re thinking with numbers like that. A lot of these WoR bosses are taking me upwards of a half hour to beat (or worse if I die). I hate to say it, but I’m actually getting bored, and I love FF6. It’s just every single enemy has SO MUCH HP.

I’m noticing that a lot of fights and even random encounters are designed around the assumption that the player is bringing the optimal team, which completely defeats the purpose of locking the characters into “classes” and limiting what they can do. I don’t want to take the long trek through Phoenix Cave, Narshe, etc just because I didn’t know ahead of time that an elemental dragon would be one-shotting my party, or as is more often the case, my characters can *survive* against the boss, but don’t have the right spells or abilities to hit weaknesses, so the fight takes forever. Atma is another example, where if you don’t bring float it’s basically unwinnable, and if you don’t bring rerise, you’re at the mercy of RNG whether mind blast and a follow up will wipe you. And if you don’t know that ahead of time, you get to go through the floating continent twice. It was a really bad way to cap off the WoB, and it’s really disappointing to see that it is a theme in WoR. 

Shadow learns float and is forced to be in your party?

(He also learns Rerise if you found the Memento Ring from an NPC's hint earlier in the game)

Edited by Deschain

None of that is particularly true. While it’s common in many older rpgs to not give you a heads up about what you’re about to deal with, if you’re a blind player and entering a Fire Dungeon it would make sense to get some fire protection before you go there.  If you aren’t blind you know there’s a fire dragon.

The game is inherently designed such that lots of parties are viable and good, provided you’re even half decent at building a team (even if you aren’t).

You aren’t at the mercy of Mindblast if you use status protection relics. And everyone has access to float with consumables. Just saying. 

Edited by Mishrak

1 hour ago, GeradFigaro said:

I’m noticing that a lot of fights and even random encounters are designed around the assumption that the player is bringing the optimal team, which completely defeats the purpose of locking the characters into “classes” and limiting what they can do.

This is not at all true; I designed encounters with every *potential* character in mind and specifically avoided to the best of my ability there being a "best" choice. Any characters which are forced will have that reflected in the stage design, such as there always being monsters with Runicable attacks when Celes is mandatory. In fact, this is one of the main things I was trying to prove when I was streaming Brave New World - I was letting the chat dictate my party comp.

Edited by BTB

So, to defend @GeradFigaro a bit:

Atma DOES force you to either

• Buy status immunity relics for everyone
  • Bring Mog for Harvester
  • Spam Rerise, probably with at least two people. Of the four options, two cannot use Rerise without a hidden relic

Without any of these, defeating Atma's second phase does come down to rng. While there's a lot going on that make him overwhelming (Flare Star, Mind Blast, Glare, re-buffing himself), I think one key problem is that there are simply very few ways to handle Mind Blast. (Ya'll know my shpiel on status defense in this game boiling down to relics & Harvester instead of stamina. This is perhaps the defining proof of my stance.) New players simply have no way to know that they must buy lots of status immunity relics back on Tzen or bring along Mog; I certainly didn't the first time, and Atma wiped me four times. OTOH, once I knew his gimmick (status immunities), he's been a chump ever since, excepting for when I decide to dork around with him. Myria's a chump too now.

Atma (and Myria), in this way, are like some of the dragons (looking at you, Fire and Ice). They're gear checks. If you've got the right armor or relics, he's a chump. Otherwise, he's likely a Game Over. Other bosses are easier with the right set-up, but it's not quite so night-and-day as it is with these guys.

As far as I see, that seems to be Gerad's main complaint when it comes to "an optimal party being required", and it's a complaint that I and others have made before.

On the issue of Hidon, much as I dislike him losing his undead theme, I think becoming susceptible to Raze with a low mg.def might help a lot in taking him down quickly. Strago is forced here, will finally have some proper means of offense against the guy (haha, Blaze), and it'll do even more damage than a weakness normally does.

OTOH, Gerad, one reason BTB has given for making bosses bulky is so that they have time to properly execute their full AI script, possibly execute it multiple times in the fight. This is to avoid any fight becoming rng-based. Too much HP is a common complaint, and Hidon's been one of the traditional jerks about it. Hopefully Raze hurting the guy will fix that somewhat.

Actually, @BTB, since Hidon is no longer undead, might I suggest another weakness besides the all-too-common Fire element, as well as Celes' Holy? Perhaps something tailored to Strago, such as Water or Poison? Poison element has the same effect of making Raze useful and while also rewarding X-Dark use for those who went to Ancient Castle first. It's Strago's enemy, let him beat Hidon up. That, and Fire weakness with low mg.def is just begging for Locke to murder Hidon with X-Fire3, when this ought to be the battle where Strago's X-Magic shines, not Locke's.

Edited by thzfunnymzn

How about none of the above, and I have reflect on everyone instead.  Aside from Full Power, Meteo, Flare Star, Quartr, MindBlast, and Purge, everything else either misses due to Float, or gets reflected back at him.  Quartr can't kill you, Purge is only an annoyance, and only in phase 1.  Full Power is only used to counter attack, and in the 2nd phase.  Flare Star happens only once in the fight.  So the only real threat is Meteo and MindBlast.

Admittedly I still have at least one status protection relic one each character, but I do use both reflect rings now every time I fight Atmaweapon.  It's become my go-to strategy because it's so powerful.  You get to reflect Grav Bomb, Flare, Lifeshaver, Glare, Raze, and Rasp. There are many turns where the only thing Atmaweapon can do to you is hit you with a standard physical attack (which he has a random chance of doing in addition to his spell).  Typically my party is Terra Locke Setzer for the FC.  Not because they're the best party for it (although very good at it), but because I actively avoid getting levels in the WoB to capitalize on everyone's level being increased to level 18 at the start of WoR.  Terra gets lots of Unicorn to be tanky, Locke gets Ramuh to be my damage dealer, and Setzer brings Go Fish to bypass reflect and heal the party.

OK, so, uh, add Reflect to the list of strategies for handling Atma. >_> Probably better than Rerise spam anyways. Though you're still using status immune relics. : p

RE Hidon:

Since Hidon is no longer undead, the fire and holy weaknesses don’t really fit thematically.  Nor does a water weakness seem appropriate since we have to assume Hidon is amphibious considering it lived in a submerged Ebots Rock.  Thus for Strago to be most effective, a poison or ice weakness would work, but maybe Hidon has inherent Shell?  (It does sorta look like Hidon is equipped with some sort of exoskeleton.)  Then poison attacks do essentially normal damage to stay on par with defense ignoring spells (cough, Relm, cough), which juxtaposes nicely with Hidon using powerful defense ignoring attacks.

14 hours ago, GeradFigaro said:

To be fair the only boss I found uneccessary long was Hiddon (which is my least favorite boss in this mod because he is neither interesting or hard and has just to many HP making the fight unecessary long), regarding Atma never need Float personnaly (Quake can be counter with Runic or you can heal from it) neither Rerise (Actually I didn't use rerise at all in my playthrough so it's definitly possible to beat the entire mod without it), tough I do agree that Mind Blast makes Atma kind of a random boss depending of how often he uses it and what statuts it inflict I would avocate maybe making Mind Blast as a counter when he lost a certain amount of HP (like every 20% HP he lost) would make Mind Blast less random as well as giving the player clue that he is getting closer to victory, in my first playthrough tough I only lost once against Atma (think I had Vig Sabin, Stam Cyan and Mag Celes) but I think every character can contribute to his fight in one way or another.

I don't think the mod assume taking optimal party everytime of course some party will do better in certain situation than an other party but I don't think I happen a single time to get in a situation where I was thinking it was impossible to go through with a party I had there is some situations however where I had to seat back carefully thinking about what I had at my disposal and how I could use it, but this is basically like any RPG if you're not optimal you will need to be more tactical and considere what you can do with the party you have.

13 hours ago, SuperHario said:

RE Hidon:

Since Hidon is no longer undead, the fire and holy weaknesses don’t really fit thematically.  Nor does a water weakness seem appropriate since we have to assume Hidon is amphibious considering it lived in a submerged Ebots Rock.  Thus for Strago to be most effective, a poison or ice weakness would work, but maybe Hidon has inherent Shell?  (It does sorta look like Hidon is equipped with some sort of exoskeleton.)  Then poison attacks do essentially normal damage to stay on par with defense ignoring spells (cough, Relm, cough), which juxtaposes nicely with Hidon using powerful defense ignoring attacks.

I could see Poison weakness without low mg.def. Probably necessary to prevent X-Dark from being too strong. Shell seems unnecessary. Raze and X-Dark should easily overpower Flare with just a Poison weakness. X-Dark may very well break the damage cap. Granted, Relm can very well use the Punisher rod to also do strong damage (and Mog can use X-Bio), but that's probably a bit more niche than Strago just flinging a strong magical attack.

Was I the only one confused by the new choices in the Zozo clock puzzle?  We all knew it as 06:10:50.  On a normal clock, that would be VI, II, X.  Not VI, X, L (or whatever it was).  Who's ever seen a clock label every single tick mark?  It was about two weeks ago I did the clock puzzle, but I think I'm remembering that correctly.  Forgive me if I'm not.

Edit:

Are the 8 dragons designed to be fought at a later time once you've amassed a good deal of some of the better equipment?  Earth destroyed me early in the WOR, kinda expected it.  I probably got through nearly all the fire dragon later on by wasting it with Ice3 for 4k each time with Celes along with the constant sap and sporadic other damage via Sabin blitzes and counters, but eventually a Southern Cross wiped me.  I probably spent about 30 minutes on it.  (Low-mid 20s, but I have NOT spent any ELs yet.  Trying to amass them all before spending the points.)

Edited by hypernova
Addition, not double post, duh.

Not at all. X is Roman numeral for 10, L for 50. Seemed simple. Most clocks I see ain't in roman numerals, so no, it didn't confuse me.

But when a clock is pointing at 10 minutes, it's pointing at II, not X.  Was the solution still 06:10:50?  I didn't pay too much attention to the NPCs, and just decided to see if the same numbers worked...which they sort of did.

Huh, that's a good point — clocks are numbered 1-12, not 1-60 (unless they have both labels, I suppose?). Though it hadn't occurred to me to try answering the puzzle that way, since in vanilla you chose 6, 10, 50 rather than 6, 2, 10.