Sign in to follow this  
BTB

Brave New World 1.9.0 is now available!

156 posts in this topic

Ahhhhhh that's what I'm talking about! Whelp, thus again I wait in the lurking shadows, drooling more so than ever, holding in my patience furthermore. Despite not playing the mod I'm really getting a kick out of reading and envisioning each new update. 

Might want to consider playing the next update, and then maybe, a few years down the road, consider another go, if stuff has changed enough. Or wait for that magical 2.0 that will appear in the year 21XX. Little balance stuff just keeps happening: I remember Zzonk's FFI mod being under constant balance tweak development for 9 years, so I wouldn't hold my breath on little "balance tweaks" ending anytime soon, though the core game will remain the same.

Should be on romhacking.net. Look for Final Fantasy Zzonk, hack of the original NES game. Could also dig through the GameFAQs forums of the old NES FF1 for it as well.

On 7/3/2018 at 10:39 PM, BTB said:

Nah, you didn't come off as offensive.

I have been quietly working on a new update these last few weeks and it's looking to be a major one. I'm hoping to have a tentative changelog to post in the near future, but no clue how long it will take given that I wish to include a number of patches that are currently in testing.

Is there any sort of ETA on this? Are we talking weeks or months?

We learned our lesson a long time ago about giving out ETAs. There's a lot being done and no expectation for when it'll be done at this point.

Finished this game over the weekend.  Good fun.  I ended up never utilizing the ELs.  My final levels were in the 30s for everyone.  By the time I got into the WOR, I figured I should wait until I gather the rest of the Espers.  Then once I grabbed them all I was nearly complete, so I figured I might as well make it slightly more of a challenge.  Used Celes, Locke, Cyan, and Edgar for the final battles.  Celes and Locke helped keep the HP maxed out while Cyan used Eclipse on the first two tiers (while back rowed) and Tempest on the last two tiers (front row).  Edgar did his damage with the Jump (and Dragon Helm, of course).  The attackers did backup healing and revival when necessary until everyone was back on their feet.

Loved the new dragon sprite that was used.  Was not expecting that!

I'm not sure if things just got easier, but the first few dragons I faced seemed like their AIs changed as they lost HP, but the others didn't really seem to change all that much.  Might have just been me.

I liked the minimized Rage list, though I still tended to lean towards just a few of them.  (Conjurer, Adamantite, Dragon, Behemoth)

Strago's Lore list seems ... worthless almost.  He has 2 water based Lores, 2 fire based Lores (one with added poison).  Nothing ice (yes, Shiva), no bolt.  No wind or earth.  Raid didn't work half the time for the MP.

Ninja type enemies were just plain douchebags.  Counter disappear and chuck swords quickly for OHKOs.

I was definitely disappointed that some of the hardest bosses had no item rewards upon their defeat, including the statues.

Had to look up how to get the ???.  I really thought I had to do something akin to Shadow's dreams based on what the kid says in Thamasa.  Never did end up using it, though, since I was at the end.

I do agree with others that Relm is over-the-top in her language.  She's 10, and where in that village would she have learned to talk like that?  Nobody else seems to...

Definitely love the concept this mod brings to the game.  It indeed made things harder, but not impossibly difficult.

Thank you for the great mod.  I had actually made my own mod years ago (difficulty and dialogue, not the extent and mechanics like this), and this one is up there for me too!

First off thanks for the great mod. I beat this game at least 20x as a kid, and i am going through it again now using your mod and i just want to say that i really love the changes done to the combat system, that the "classes" are more defined and that the general difficulty is so much higher. I have died a few times but that doesnt bother me, i enjoy the challenge. I am currently at the part where Figaro takes you under the mountains, in pursuit of Esper Terra who flew off to Zozo. My only hesitation going forward is that i hope the mod doesnt make "magic" god mode if you know what i mean? Making just Terra or Celes the heavy magic users who can use the Ice3/Bolt3/Fire3/Cure3/Ultima/Meteor/Merton and everyone else is confined to their "Class role" [with magic being at best Cure2/Ice 2 etc with no meteor or ultima] would be great, though Strago i suppose would make sense to be given Meteor and Life/Cure 3 since he is a mage. I didnt see much info on that posted, though its not a game breaker either way. Anyways, i mostly just wanted to give the thumbs up the mod author here...

Edited by peon

3 hours ago, peon said:

My only hesitation going forward is that i hope the mod doesnt make "magic" god mode if you know what i mean? Making just Terra or Celes the heavy magic users who can use the Ice3/Bolt3/Fire3/Cure3/Ultima/Meteor/Merton and everyone else is confined to their "Class role" [with magic being at best Cure2/Ice 2 etc with no meteor or ultima] would be great, though Strago i suppose would make sense to be given Meteor and Life/Cure 3 since he is a mage. I didnt see much info on that posted, though its not a game breaker either way. Anyways, i mostly just wanted to give the thumbs up the mod author here...

If you're really curious what each character is capable of, there's a Character Discussion subforum at the top of the BNW board – though I encourage you to wait until you're mostly finished your first run to dive in there in earnest.

You needn't worry too much – the characters who end up with the really potent spells you mention are limited, and most characters with access to any of those only get a couple of them at most. Pretty much everyone has ways of contributing outside of Magic spam in this mod; and even those capable of Magic spam, with a couple of late-game exceptions, still need to pay heed to elemental affinities, magic defense, and MP management to be effective.

Also, don't underestimate the effectiveness of non-capstone spells in this mod like Ice2, Cure2, Bio, and especially status spells like Haste, Slow, Shell, Sleep, etc. Unlike in vanilla, any one of these can contribute quite meaningfully even later on.

Edited by SirNewtonFig

On 18/07/2018 at 9:50 AM, peon said:

My only hesitation going forward is that i hope the mod doesnt make "magic" god mode if you know what i mean? Making just Terra or Celes the heavy magic users who can use the Ice3/Bolt3/Fire3/Cure3/Ultima/Meteor/Merton and everyone else is confined to their "Class role" [with magic being at best Cure2/Ice 2 etc with no meteor or ultima] would be great, though Strago i suppose would make sense to be given Meteor and Life/Cure 3 since he is a mage. I didnt see much info on that posted, though its not a game breaker either way. Anyways, i mostly just wanted to give the thumbs up the mod author here...

It doesn't magic while still strong with Magic-Focused character is no longer God Mode, the mod is balance and magic doesn't overshadow physical attacks or character's unique abilities thanks to various change that were made.

Thanks for the info guys, and ill check out the character section once i do a full run through of the game, and maybe post some critiques while im at it.

Edited by peon

When dealing with enemies with weaknesses of the big 3 (fire, ice, bolt) Terra will be your go-to.  Morph plus weakness exploit and that's your 9999 dealer.  Throw in Sabin's Chakra, and you've got an unlimited mana spring for her as well.

I forgot to mention one of the biggest things I liked about this mod.  Speed means something.  The nATB system that was designed is great.  Locke/Shadow/Gau being speed demons actually had utility.  In addition, the status spells were useful as well.  Imp, berserk, slow, even stop.  Fighting new monsters meant you had to find out what they were susceptible to in order to make fights easier.  ex. Double Diablos in KT can be deadly if you don't exploit their weakness.  Other monsters were manageable the way they were, but things were made even easier if you hit them with statuses.

Like others said, don't underestimate your level 2 spells.  Cure2 is especially useful at nearly all times.

6 hours ago, hypernova said:

I forgot to mention one of the biggest things I liked about this mod.  Speed means something.  The nATB system that was designed is great.  Locke/Shadow/Gau being speed demons actually had utility.  In addition, the status spells were useful as well.  Imp, berserk, slow, even stop.  Fighting new monsters meant you had to find out what they were susceptible to in order to make fights easier.  ex. Double Diablos in KT can be deadly if you don't exploit their weakness.  Other monsters were manageable the way they were, but things were made even easier if you hit them with statuses.

I must confess that outside of Slow and Sap (and some special case like Mute of Phunbaba) I actually almost never use statut effect ^^", there is actually a lot of stuff I didn't use at all (like Reraise which I didn't use a single time during my playthrough cause I kept forgetting about it ^^).

Another year, another playthrough of BNW!

I last played on 1.6.4 or something, so I'm looking forward to checking out the changes made since. I'll be playing on my recently modded SNES Classic, so I may actually need to print that printme, which will be a new experience. Making that my desktop wallpaper with a fairly tiny emulator window has been my FF6 environment since 2013. Glad to see you still get some mileage out of pimping that blog post(I'm so happy that's still your website).

Oh, yeah, BNW has come a long way since the pre-1.7 days. And this next update is shaping up to be pretty huge, as well.

One thing I'm finally doing is redesigning the Printme so that it actually looks... like, decent when you print it out >.>

And yeah, man, you were the first person to ever write about BNW. Can't forget that!

Edited by BTB

Aw, it's a shame that the new update is coming out just as I wrap up playing 1.9. The changes on it look nice, at least. I'll have something to play down the line. 

Edited by velsper

On 7/30/2018 at 0:54 AM, velsper said:

Aw, it's a shame that the new update is coming out just as I wrap up playing 1.9. The changes on it look nice, at least. I'll have something to play down the line. 

1.10 does look really nice. I personally can't wait for the two-party floating continent (e: which is not a part of 1.10). That's the dopest thing I've ever heard.

e: Thanks for that, BTB. I forgot to add that since it won't be in 1.10, it isn't as big of a deal to miss out on 1.10 as it would have been if the 2-part FC were included. I think while writing that line I realized how much is actually getting changed in 1.10 and decided not to include it.

Edited by fatpolomanjr

Just so we're clear, the 2-party Floating Continent is not happening in 1.10. That's going to require a LOT more work from the community as a whole, as none of us have any experience with map editing.

Im still trekking along on this mod, i now have all of the sidequests done in the game so i am onto Kefka's tower sometime in the next few days...The only nitpicks i have so far is that Magi-Master in the cultist tower is a wimp, the mobs leading up to him are far more dangerous than he is. I know the gimmick is to scan him and all, but still, hes a total wimp. My party is lvl 30 to level 31, i intentionally avoided him when i was levels 24'ish or so thinking he would wupp my behind, but i could have taken him then or even at level 20. Doom-Gaze also seemed rather easy when i did him @ levels 26 or so. My other nitpick is the Kagenui knife that Shadow can use, he is a beast with that since it procs so much and it has such a high innate damage as it is. Maybe change the proc to a Slow or SlowX instead? It gives 2x more attacks so even with a lesser proc it seems like it would still be best in slot for him.

Edited by peon

I too agree on Magimaster being disappointing, he was so easy especially when you got a good RNG on what element he choose (on my playthrough he kept being vulnerable to Ice which was the best element I could exploit). Kagenui makes Shadow a beast especially when you combine it with weapon that can proc (Magic Katanas/Sakura) or the Orochi end game, and I will keep saying it Shadow with Kagenui + Orochi with Cover/Counter set up combine with a very high physical Evasion is just awesome.

I was wondering if the "The End" text can get edited to just say the password.  Would still wind up less immersion killing than what happened in the ending scenario. :P

I had some horrific RNG on Number 024, with one Storm Blade's procs being the bulk of my offense(yay for Dragoon Seal's proc bonus). Hopefully Magimaster proves less stubborn without being too easy. Speaking of Storm Blade, I'm gonna miss that goofy sword when it's phased out.

So much has changed since 1.7.4 that I never did look up a full changelog, but I'm enjoying the game even more than last time, if that metric has any value.

The wallchange bosses are going to be getting a bit of an overhaul. I was particularly unhappy with them in my last playthrough.