seibaby

1.9 Release Bug Reporting Thread

148 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bropedio said:

I just finished my first playthrough of BNW. FF6 has been my favorite game for as long as I can remember, but I can safely say I will never play the vanilla game again -- it's BNW from here on out. What an incredible achievement. Thank you so much for making it!

BUGS (possibly)
* While fighting magic pots in the cultist tower, I used a warp whistle with Relm, then selected Setzer's slot command. The warp whistle executed while the slots were still open, and the game locked up.
* I used Shadow extensively in the end game, and despite parrying many physical attacks, I never saw Interceptor in Kefka's tower. I can't recall whether I saw Interceptor in the WOR at all. Is it possible that Shadow lost Interceptor status somehow, or could there be another explanation?
* I also encountered the reflected raze soft lock in the Phoenix Cave that someone else mentioned. However, the soft lock never resolved -- I tried fast forwarding for a very long time.
* At one point on the Veldt, I started encountering battles with every single step (6+ in a row, until I got to my airship). I did not apply the separate encounter-rate patch.

SUGGESTIONS
* I learned all of my magic a bit too quickly -- I think it would be more rewarding if it took longer to buy each spell, and you were forced to think more carefully about which spell to buy, when.
* Myria and Yeti were BY FAR the most difficult boss battles for me. Perhaps I was not paying enough attention to countering behavior, or perhaps they are slightly unbalanced.
* I was disappointed by the final boss battle, which didn't seem to require specific strategies.
* I generally loved the script modifications, including Relm's potty-mouth, with the sole exception of her calling Ultros a "douche", which seemed too anachronistic, somehow.

Thanks again -- I'm looking forward to my next playthrough already!

Hey, glad you enjoyed things.

The Slots softlock is new to me. I wonder if it's something that was present in vanilla, or if it's related to de-rigging. I'd wager the former.

Nowea already answered the question about Interceptor. One alternative is to let Shadow die and then Relm inherits him. Her evasion is much lower, so Interceptor is a big more aggressive in defending her.

I thought I'd removed all instances of potential softlocks... or it might have just been in the FT. In any case, I'll look into it.

Hey, @Mishrak someone else got the "1-step battle" thing, too. I wonder if it has anything to do with @Think0028's RNG patch? Would be really curious to see if Seibaby's encounter patch prevents it, if we could find a reliable way to replicate the setup.

I agree that magic comes quickly, and that in a way having to learn them through spell points is a token pittance that the player must pay. The problem is that, when you multiply it by 12 characters, even a small bit of grinding can take awhile. I'd rather err on the side of not making players take too long to get their attacks. There's still the issue of spell points waning in usefulness later on except to act as a multiplier for EP... I remember thinking once of a system that would allow you to spend banked spell points on MP restoration, but I never chased up on it.

Myria is a cunt, but a lot of her shit is avoidable. Yeti is a one-trick pony, but he does that one trick very well. Go in with physical defense/evasion and ice/wind defense and he's a cakewalk.

Heh. Relm calling Ultros a douche is basically this scene right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buxj7-4YLXw

I suppose this one's not so much a bug as an oversight, and a pretty edge-case one at that, but – if you go back to Narshe with Shadow in your party during the search for Terra, he'll keep his equipment when he leaves, and the unequip NPC in Narshe won't be able to remove his loadout.

Heya, just wanted to let you guys know that Demon in Daryl's Tomb and Cerebus in WoR Narshe don't have any Sketch abilities. 

Oh, found another one too just now. Was wandering around the Veldt in the WoR and Albatross didn't give me a Sketch ability either. 

Edit: Lunaris in the WoR too.

Edited by velsper

Could be, yeah. Does Sketch have a fail rate? Sometimes it just doesn't fire off when she draws an enemy. Not with everything, but sometimes it happens. 

Hm, well she was pretty well leveled. She was in her twenties. Basically what happens is she'd sketch the whole monster, their sprite would appear and everything and then she just step backs and nothing happens.

Oh yeah, something I did want to point out that'd legit help - Nastodon (the mammoth) in WoR Narshe's sketch just winds up doing nothing against the monster itself. I like how Relm's Sketch usually does a move that helps against whatever you're fighting, but with those mammoths they're immune to their own attack. So it doesn't help to Sketch them.

So as mention on discord apparently the turned off EXP gain prevent you from gaining anything but GP.

Edited by Nesouk

On 7/14/2018 at 6:34 PM, SirNewtonFig said:

I suppose this one's not so much a bug as an oversight, and a pretty edge-case one at that, but – if you go back to Narshe with Shadow in your party during the search for Terra, he'll keep his equipment when he leaves, and the unequip NPC in Narshe won't be able to remove his loadout.

This is something I experienced when I left him on the Floating Continent to restock on some items and make a team that wasn't trash. Dirty thief was holding on to an Amulet I was losing my mind trying to reconcile memories of owning until I noticed I was also missing Healing Shivs. Not a big deal on the whole, unless one is planning on a prolonged WoB excursion and he's loaded with swag.

Edited by Ecclesiastes

That's a known bug. I want to say it was also present in vanilla, since we didn't do anything that would have caused it.

I have seen that once or twice in vanilla, in unicorn scenarios where I was in the list while MP was lost. Maybe some function interrupts the menu updating?

I do unironically enjoy how BNW feels like an elaborate code audit of vanilla at times. About as fun as actually playing the game.

4 hours ago, Ecclesiastes said:

I have seen that once or twice in vanilla, in unicorn scenarios where I was in the list while MP was lost. Maybe some function interrupts the menu updating?

It is certainly true that spell availability in the menu does not update if an MP-altering effect resolves while the menu is open, but I opened and closed the menu a few times in this case and Life and Regen remained selectable.

It may be possible that I had the menu open on a previous turn as Celes was counterattacking with her Illumina, and that the menu simply got stuck that way until her MP updated again. Could it be something in the routine for deducting MP for MP-crit weapons maybe? At Celes's level here, an MP crit would cost her about 13 MP, so it would make sense that Reraise would have already been unavailable when the glitch occurred, while Life and Regen would be affected.

Edited by SirNewtonFig

Yeah, that's a known bug related to certain MP-costing things not flagging a character to have their menu redrawn/recalculated -- the function that updates which spells are available called every turn, but only if a character is flagged to have it updated based on recovering MP, casting sells, etc. MP-crit weapons are bugged and don't flag it to update.. I think I've actually got a fix for it that's part of another patch, and I am 95% certain that I've seen someone else fix it from a different angle.

So I'm using Doomstick in the Phoenix Cave, and it's a really great opener to a fight, but it's got some odd behavior in that X-Zone revives the undead. Not merely resetting the HP of existing targets, but bringing back targets that were already killed. FF6 vanilla being the extravagant mess it is, one where X-Zone is relegated to Wrexsoul cheese for me, I do not know what class of instant kill X-Zone actually is, so this may be original/intended behavior.

Just after that, I had Setzer roll a Phoenix, a summon I'm sure this mod "loves". Everyone was alive, so nothing happens. Nothing except for Setzer sliding into the middle of a pincer attack during the summoning while Gau makes *two* blocking animations while the bird is onscreen. Characters getting all up in the enemy's business is a known thing, but a first for me, so I was entertained. I do not know the implications of Gau's blocks, however. His Rage was either Dragon or nothing, if that adds context.

I think it's intended it's not like other FF where Warping or Instant-Death are 2 separate things X-Zone is just an AoE doom spell (EDIT nevermind seems I'm wrong on that one)

Edited by Nesouk

Both of the things that Ecclesiastes mentioned are known bugs with no way (as far as I'm aware) to resolve them.

This has probably been covered already but in case it hasn't:

When Sabin's Frostgore claws cast Doom on an enemy if the enemy doesn't die then it comes back with full HP. I was stuck in a battle for a looong time since the proc rate was so high. Probably the same case with the Doom spell?