Sign in to follow this  
ShadowMoses

No random battles?

29 posts in this topic

Is there a relic to turn off random encounters?

im trying to do all the late game stuff and the encounter rate is making it painful, its not like i need the xp at this point. 

id like to just switch fights on and off now when i want to farm or grind.

Thanks for the reply. i think it would be a nice addition to a future update, a relic or even an option in config. i just fast forward through nuisance battles anyway, i don't think i'm the only person doing that. 

Removing the ability to avoid random encounters altogether was a deliberate design decision because otherwise the game is just boss battles. The encounter rate itself is something that is currently being addressed:

The main problem for me is when its time to leave a dungeon and i have to walk all the way back out the way i came getting bombarded with encounters that are just slowing me down at this point, i actually feel exhausted from it.

I understand how an option to turn them off could be abused since random battles are never really attractive, i know it ruins the experience and the sense of accomplishment after beating a dungeon but it would be nice if there was some middle ground.

The logical balance would be that you could turn off overworld random battles, but all caves, castles, dungeons, whatever -- "zoomed-in places" -- still have them. If that is anything that they can code without spending 1000 hours of reverse-engineering? 
Is bob you uncle, @Synchysi?

1 hour ago, BTB said:

You don't have any Warp Whistles or the spell?

I have Warp Whistles and the Warp spell but sadly you cant exit the dungeon with them.

after completing a dungeon and beating a tough boss i always feel like i need a break, instead i have to fight my way back out. you know what would be funny if they stuck another tough boss at the entrance waiting for you when you try and leave hahahahahaha

The only dungeon I can think of where warping is disabled is Cyan's nightmare, and you can't leave it anyway...

Ancient Castle is one of the few WoR dungeons where it makes no sense to be able to Warp out, since you would then be stuck on the overworld with Figaro Castle submerged and the airship inaccessible.

Edited by seibaby

Could warping in the ancient castle bring you to the jail instead of the overworld?  Obviously, it’d be code specific to just that dungeon, and with limited space, who knows if it’s possible, but just putting it out there for consideration.

42 minutes ago, thzfunnymzn said:

I don't think you can Warp Whistle out of Phoenix Cave either.

That's likely because of there being two parties I believe, in which case the Floating Continent and Kefka's Tower may also be a no-warp areas as well.

46 minutes ago, thzfunnymzn said:

I don't think you can Warp Whistle out of Phoenix Cave either.

No you cant, that's where i was when i made this topic. it was just my luck that i done the Ancient castle straight after it (lot of backtracking). i haven't done Cyan's nightmare yet

13 hours ago, Kaffe Myers said:

The logical balance would be that you could turn off overworld random battles, but all caves, castles, dungeons, whatever -- "zoomed-in places" -- still have them. If that is anything that they can code without spending 1000 hours of reverse-engineering? 

Encounters are determined by separate functions for overworld and dungeon areas, so it shouldn't be difficult if we choose to go that route.

The multiple-party setup has nothing that affects warping, and while you cannot warp out of the Phoenix Cave in vanilla, we enabled it in Brave New World. And you can warp put of Kefka's Tower in either case.

11 hours ago, BTB said:

The multiple-party setup has nothing that affects warping, and while you cannot warp out of the Phoenix Cave in vanilla, we enabled it in Brave New World. And you can warp put of Kefka's Tower in either case.

That is interesting and good to know. Thank you.

17 hours ago, BTB said:

I remember playthroughs where I could not warp out of the Phoenix Cave. Was that changed recently?

I have tried in the past to figure out how to set the parent map for Warp in Ancient Castle/Cave to the Figaro prison, to no success.

Not to say it's impossible, but there may be another way; an event driven Warp point like the one in Phoenix Cave.

Edited by seibaby

On 1/16/2018 at 3:14 AM, Kaffe Myers said:

I don't think this would really help this problem (even if we consider this to be a problem worth fixing).  For maybe half the game total, you can park the airship right next to where you want to enter.  Other overworld travels tend to be short, unnecessary to repeat, and/or skippable by chocobo.  This might make it less tedious to return to the Veldt to farm Rages at some points though.