Sign in to follow this  
ShadowMoses

After 20 years, Kefka is finally dead.

3 posts in this topic

just finished this amazing mod, and Final Fantasy VI for the first time.

I first played FF6 back in 1998 on the PS1, didn't like it as much as FFIV and FFV and quit half way through.

I went back to it a few years later and tried to play through the original snes version. After reaching the WoR i got board and gave up again.

Every couple of years i would go back to it and try again, i really wanted to like it as much as everyone else did.

The problem i had was the terrible balancing of the characters, the forced parties that lumped you with characters you find useless, and the need to keep your level low until you get some decent Espers.

These are some of the issues that Brave New World addresses and more. Forced parties become exciting in BNW because everyone has a use. the leveling system feels more like FFIV and FFIX except each character doesnt just follow one job path, you can control the flow of how they grow, making replay-ability very high.

when i first heard about BNW a few of weeks ago and i read about the new levellng system it sounded too good to be true, i think its genius how the Espers are used to grow your characters in this version, and you can bank SP and EL so theere is no hurry.

i Really enjoyed the difficulty of the bosses, i did have do do a bit of grinding at times but thats just the way i play RPGs, im not good at low level stuff.

for me BNW is the definitive version of FFVI, i couldn't go back to that broken game with all the Untima clones.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the final version turns out and i want to thank the guys who have put all their time and ideas into BNW.

Thanks guys, great work.

Edited by ShadowMoses

To be honest, it took me literally years to beat FFVI Vanilla. Not because it was too hard, but because it got really boring towards the end. WoR was just a disaster in my eyes. I couldn't get over how repetitive everything became after that point, and unlike before, there was no story to really make up for the gameplay at that point. 

In Brave New World, I feel that this is the opposite. The characters are different enough to where WoB is exciting before you get the Espers, and only continues to get better as you get further. By the time you hit the WoR, you're on a hunt to find new Espers about as you want to find party members because you want to diversify the abilities you can launch at the enemies. Each character having something to offer makes it engrossing in both ends of the spectrum. 

The first time I went through BNW, I happily finished it. When I beat FFVI: Vanilla, I beat it because I just ended up sharing the misery with a friend.