Sign in to follow this  
Raxistaicho

What does the Momento Ring do in this mod?

7 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BTB said:

It teaches Rerise.

Given the Cthulhu quote with the item BTB, I'm surprised no one has joked about there also being tophat-wearing Shoggoths in the plans for 2.0.:P

It's an Iron Maiden reference. It's the inscription on the tombstone on the inner side of No Prayer For the Dying.

10 hours ago, BTB said:

It's an Iron Maiden reference. It's the inscription on the tombstone on the inner side of No Prayer For the Dying.

I'm pretty sure that Iron Maiden reference was likely referencing Lovecraft's works though. Specifically this line from "The Call of Cthulhu".

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."

But eh, if I'm wrong no big deal. Not like a discussion about whether iron maiden was referencing one of the founders of modern horror is all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Lovecraft was my first thought, but it's hard to say definitively. The full quote reads (pardon the bullet format, this forum doesn't allow single spacing for some strange reason and it looks like crap double spaced):

• After the daylight
  • The night of pain
  • That is not dead
  • Which can rise again

I think it's safe to assume it was inspired by that line from The Call of Cthulhu, just worded in a less... Lovecraftian manner. Or it's original. Who knows.

Edited by Synchysi

12 minutes ago, Synchysi said:

Lovecraft was my first thought, but it's hard to say definitively. The full quote reads (pardon the bullet format, this forum doesn't allow single spacing for some strange reason and it looks like crap double spaced):

• After the daylight
  • The night of pain
  • That is not dead
  • Which can rise again

I think it's safe to assume it was inspired by that line from The Call of Cthulhu, just worded in a less... Lovecraftian manner. Or it's original. Who knows.

Lovecraft's descriptions are amusingly odd. I remember coming across a lovecraftian description of a "Glass of milk" once. Ahh, here it is.

Like distilled madness, the ghastly white fluid was of a viscous quality quite unlike anything that could truly be called 'liquid' by contemporary man.

This pseudo-fluid was contained, yet not contained, within a transparent barrier like the purest ice, yet its temperature was not cool.  This container was not a square, but a thing of unnaturally precise curves.