Sign in to follow this  
BlackLiquidSrw

Praise and some questions after first playthrough

4 posts in this topic

I just beat the game the other day and I absolutely loved it. You guys fixed pretty much every problem that I had with Final Fantasy VI and created a fantastic new experience.

Here are some questions I have after beating it.

1. Are there any plans for making more spells of the other elements? Break and storm certainly helped but it would be nice to have a completely single target water and wind spell, especially after the third tier poison spell was introduced.

2. Why did you choose to make phoenix downs revive with only one HP?

3. Would it be possible to have a unique relic or weapon for Gogo that gives him the ability to change his mimic slot into another ability?

4. What do you think about the concept of having buyable ninja stars in the WoR? Like 50,000 a piece. That way GP could have more uses other than respeccing characters.

5. This is maybe more of a post rom expansion thing but would it be possible to move some espers to pre-Zozo or have some completely new ones for that section? As much as I love the way espers were redesigned, I feel that not having them for a pretty decent chunk of time makes the early game kinda boring.

1. Not really. Aside from the fact that the spell index is full, part of balancing out the eight elements is the differences in availability. Having access to water damage, for example, is part of what makes Strago and Shadow so unique amongst other mages.

2. Initially, in order to make the Life spell preferable to Phoenix Downs, I widened the gap of effectiveness to 1/16 max HP for Phoenix Downs and 1/4 maxHP for Life (both were 1/8 in vanilla, rendering the Life spell fairly useless). I ultimately found that 1/4 maxHP still wasn't really having the desired effect since it still wasn't enough for a lot of characters to be able to survive a single hit after getting back on their feet, resulting in my request to switch it over to a set amount of HP. As for Phoenix Downs, the change to 1 HP was mostly symbolic since there's no effective difference between 1 HP and 1/16 maxHP because neither will allow anyone to take a single hit in pretty much any situation.

3. Possible? Probably. This isn't a question anyone has ever asked before, and I really don't have an opinion on it.

4. I think my only objection to that would be that giving them a value makes the ones you find sellable for lots of cash. Also, they currently fill a "rare expendable" role that very much needs filling. As far as late-game cash sinks go, the intent was for that to fall back on Potions and Ninjatos.

5. There's really not much I can envision to spice up what is essentially the game's "tutorial" phase without going massively off of the rails of what the mod aims to do.

3. Would it be possible to have a unique relic or weapon for Gogo that gives him the ability to change his mimic slot into another ability?

3. Possible? Probably. This isn't a question anyone has ever asked before, and I really don't have an opinion on it.

The answer to this question is Yes and No. See, the vanilla game has five inbuilt triggers that change one set of commands to another in both battles and in the character status screen. Those triggers are attached to relics (though they could be attached to armors and weapons as well), those being the "Thief Glove" (changing Steal to Mug), "Coin Toss" (changing Slot to GP Toss), "Fake Moustache" (changing Sketch to Command), "Gem Box" (changing Magic to X-Magic), and "Dragoonboots" (changing Fight to Jump). It does this via in-game battle-commands and Status Screen tweaks. The issue is the "Battle Commands" portion of this, as messing with the Battle Commands portion of this is going to be extremely problematic. I can't go fully into why because spoilers, but yeah, that would not be fun or easy to do.

That's not to say it can't be done, just that it isn't going to be easy. If you wish for spoilers as to why, well...

The issue is BNW does use all five of the in-game battle/status-screen command changes (though I'm not saying how, though anyone willing to use some of the modding tools for FF6 could spot what I'm talking about quite quickly), meaning that there is no space to change the "Mimic" command into some other ability, and adding more than the vanilla limit of five with the in-battle portion of the game engine is going to cause 'major' issues, delays, and break things before it's at anything resembling a 'usable' state.

BlackLiquidSrw, if you're messing around with a vanilla FF6 game to make your own mod, you will find you're kind of limited to only 'five' command-changing triggers for relics/armor/weapons. If you wish to find more details about 'how' you can alter those five triggers (which you can, you're just limited to only five unfortunately), go to the "romhacking.net" site or "ff6hacking.com" and look around, as some users have put up detailed notes on how to do what you want to do.

My opinion is that it's probably very easily doable, the question is more is it something worth being done.