Sign in to follow this  
F-Bomb

Is BNW MSU-1 Compatible?

27 posts in this topic

I recently got a SD2SNES and have tried out the MSU-1 feature on Zelda and Metroid 3. It got me wondering if BNW would be compatible with the newly released open beta of tbe FF6 MSU-1 hack.

The only issue I can see is that the music has been modified to continue playing through some battles and the dragons now have their own new (old) music.

Would it be worth trying out, or is it destined for failure?

I can just imagine 'The Black Mages' playing along with this game.

Huh, oh, I've seen that hack before. Someone posted a youtube link showing what can be done with it. Ahh, found it.

Here's a link to the github url for this snes audio hack if you want it as well. https://github.com/Insidious611/DancingMadFF6/releases

Also, here's the page for the individual doing this audio hack and what it allows modders to do with it should they so choose. https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22929.0

Edited by GLH
Finding the right video and then getting the damned url to work was a pain

Free space usage might be an issue, but that is pretty simple to work around since the source is available for the MSU-1 patch.

I don't know how the extra music was added, but unless it changes the IDs of the other tracks, it should be fine. It'll just play with the SNES's sound chip like normal if the PCM audio is missing.

Edited by seibaby

Well I just did the installation/patching process, then patched BNW 1.9.0 over the top. I am happy to announce that It all works so far. Just played the intro and up to Whelk.

Some of the music choices are a bit jarring on the settings I've chosen. But you can do the OST at FLAC quality if that is you preference.

So awesome that this works. Will just have to see what happens when you encounter one of the 8 dragons.

Does anyone have an srm near a dragon?

Edit: So I'm a bit further into the game now. I jusf finished the phantom train and noticed

Spoiler

That the music keeps playing after Cyan sees his dead family. I'm sure the music should've stopped for this scene.

Overall the music is very good on this patch. I highly recommend it.

I'll post any further updates. If something else stands out.

Looking forward to the opera scene.

Edited by F-Bomb
More Info

I have just finished WOB and can say that the music so far has been mostly outstanding. There is one piano track (I think it is used for the Kefka slave crown scene) that I feel is out of place but everything else to me sounds awesome. Especially the heavy guitar driven tracks.

The opera scene with voices was awesome. And even though they have been timed to work with the lines of a different hack, line up with BNW quite well.

The enraged esper, IMRF and floating continent tracks have been a standout. And highly recommend giving this a go. So far the only glitches I have come across is when the music is supposed to fafe to silence. Which to my count is twice so far. Which is the one mentioned above and in 

Spoiler

Shadows dream. The music for the town kept pkaying over the drones of his first dream.

Which was a bit off putting but such a small negative to all the positives so far.

Hoping to finish the floating continent and start on WOR tomorrow.

So I have just come across  my first real bad glitch with BNW over the top of Dancing Mad MSU1 hack.

Shadow on the floating continent is not gaining SP. He is still gaining EL's and was able to learn the spell off of 'that relic' but not sp = no haste or float, which makes Atma a pain. He had 2 SP from the one fight he had near Thamasa so he already had learned Dispel. But for some reason he no longer gains SP.

I switched my save over to a non MSU 1 patched rom and Shadow was gaining SP again.

Damn it. I was really enjoying the MSU1 hack too.

Edit: So I did the floating continent on BNW with no MSU-1. Learned Shadow's spells, saved the game and transferred the save to the BNW with  MSU-1.

My party was Terra in slot 1, Shadow in slot 2, Edgar in slot 3 and Strago in Slot 4. after I had defeated Atma I noticed that Edgar now had 67sp. I couldn't check Shadow as he leaves straight away. Terra and Strago were on 30sp each. I forgot to check if Edgar's sp kept rising after the scene. Due to the time constraint and the adrenaline of a first try defeat of Atma (booya). I still have the srm on my pc so I can replicate it.

Once in the WOR Celes' SP appeared to be behaving normally.

Does anyone have a clue as to what may have happened.

Edited by F-Bomb
New info.

I just got to the Purple Dragon, and the dragon song played no worries. Of course it was the SPC sound, but it's good to see that it works.

I'm still having weird things happening with the SP but it may be because I have changed some other things around in the version of BNW that I'm using.

I'm going to try it with a regular version of BNW and Dancing mad MSU-1 to see if they are truely compatible.

I think I still have a srm near the floating continent where I started having trouble.

Edit: unfortunately I have weilded undesired results. BNW without the extra changes I had made and the MSU-1 hack Dancing mad, have the same glitch regarding SP on the floating continent.

Hopefully someone could have a look in the code to see what happens on the floating continent with Shadows SP. (Because I wouldn't even know where to start).

I'm just about to reach the cave in the veldt so hopefully the Shadow SP situation rectifies itself there.

Edited by F-Bomb
New info.

Well it didn't fix itself. And now seems to be affecting Sabin aswell. But Edgar now has 75 SP, which is a bit weird considering the cap is 30.

Is the SP setup in some un used area of the original rom? I just cant fathom how the music pointer etc are affecting the SP collecting of 2 characters. And dumping it on  another.

Everything not in the original game is in an unused area of the ROM, obviously. It's quite probable that patches conflict because new code has to go somewhere. It's unlikely that the music hooks conflict with BNW's changes though, so it would be possible to move the code used in the MSU-1 patch to an unused area of BNW by modifying the source supplied with the patch.

Where would some free space be in BNW? It might be worth letting the Dancing Mad guys know.

Surely I'm not the only one that is interested in both patches.

But then again maybe I am😂.

Update:

I have made the Dancing Mad hacker aware of the bug concerning the SP (non) gains when BNW is patched over Dancing Mad.

He said we is going to look in to it. But it's not going to be at the top of the priority list.

So I guess it's a wait and see situation.

It will be awesome to see this work. With no bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIn5t4TGv3w&list=PL87wlGy_nuTP9OLnrFUWB4U9AfUCiaBmS

Your Opera scene video is severely dated. This link will take you to a playlist with all the different versions of the Opera I've done for the MSU-1 project. Currently only the OST and Game Music Concert 4's versions are in the installer, but the rest will be added in the next hotfix, I can send anyone who wants one of the other versions a link if they don't want to wait for the next hotfix though.

Hadn't seen this thread, so started another one to figure out the RAM conflict causing the SP bug.

Posting this here so it won't get lost

"The addresses Dancing Mad uses  for its own state are $1E20-$1E26 and $7EF001."

I suspect $1E20 and onwards are used for the Esper bank system, if I remember correctly that's where Bushido names are stored in the Japanese version (where you could rename them).

Do you have a list of the RAM locations used in BNW?

@Synchysi

; EP will be stored in SRAM locations $1CF8 - $1D0F (2 bytes per character)
; EL will be stored in SRAM locations $1D10 - $1D1B (1 byte per character)
; Unspent EL will be stored in SRAM locations $1D1C - $1D27 (1 byte per character)
; SP will be stored in SRAM locations $1E1D - $1E28 (1 byte per character)

So yes, there is a conflict.

I'd say right about where Sabin and Shadow's SP are stored. 😊 last night Sabins SP would be set to 23 after every fight. It let me learn Quake and drain in 2 fights. But it would never get above 23 so I couldn't learn sleepx, win some lose some I guess.

Edited by F-Bomb

Good news everyone!

Insidious (creator of the Dancing Mad MSU hack) sent me a patch for testing his fixes on Dancing Mad when Brave New World is Patched over the top.

Initial tests indicate that BNW is now fully compatible with this MSU-1 patch.

I'm fairly certain that he will release a new installer soon that will let you create a ff3 rom that you can patch BNW over.

It is so cool that this works now. Once it is released I encourage everyone that uses Snes9x 1.55, Higan, or a SD2Snes to play this hack, to give Dancing Mad a go aswell. It really adds so much to the experience.

Edale, (the guy that does the music looping etc), even made me a version of the 8 Dragon Music performed by the Black Mages which also works fine.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:25 PM, F-Bomb said:

Good news everyone!

Insidious (creator of the Dancing Mad MSU hack) sent me a patch for testing his fixes on Dancing Mad when Brave New World is Patched over the top.

Initial tests indicate that BNW is now fully compatible with this MSU-1 patch.

I'm fairly certain that he will release a new installer soon that will let you create a ff3 rom that you can patch BNW over.

Is this still in the works? I'm going to get BNW set up and running soon, and it would be super cool to get the Dancing Mad hack patched in as well. I wouldn't mind testing out the patch Insidious sent you during my playthrough, though it might be better to either wait for him to release the new installer or ask him for the test patch directly. 

Edited by fatpolomanjr

Insidious said that he was aiming for an end of June release. So I don't think it will be too far away.

Shoot him a message on discord. He'll probably be more than happy to have someone else test it out. I can probably send you a link for the BNW dragon song aswell, which edale did a black mages version for.

Edited by F-Bomb

23 hours ago, F-Bomb said:

Insidious said that he was aiming for an end of June release. So I don't think it will be too far away.

Shoot him a message on discord. He'll probably be more than happy to have someone else test it out. I can probably send you a link for the BNW dragon song aswell, which edale did a black mages version for.

Nice! I'll dm him on discord later on today after work. Having the link in the meantime would be awesome!

e: message sent to Insidious. Seeing if he recommends I wait for the release or to just test out what he already has.

e2: release is coming soon! Gonna do the IPS patch for now to test the bnw-compatible version.

Edited by fatpolomanjr

On 7/3/2018 at 0:23 AM, fatpolomanjr said:

Nice! I'll dm him on discord later on today after work. Having the link in the meantime would be awesome!

I thought the link was in an email, turns out the link to the song in on the DM discord chat, around May 8th or something.

So feel free to get it from there.

48 minutes ago, F-Bomb said:

I thought the link was in an email, turns out the link to the song in on the DM discord chat, around May 8th or something.

So feel free to get it from there.

It's on the Dancing Mad github now in the patch directory. I got everything up and running today. :)

The music adds so much to the game! My only complaints with ff6 were the music quality (when compared to ff4) and ultima spam. With the msu-1 patch and bnw, it seems both of those are non-issues.

Did they have the extra BNW song included?

The link for the extra song used for the dragons in BNW is in the DM discord around May 8th.

Edited by F-Bomb

Hmm, I don't think any of the songs I have were updated, since I still used the current dancing mad 2/22/18 release to actually do the installation. The only thing I did differently was patch the rom with newest ips patch.

I checked the discord for the link. Thanks! I hope it's a simple drag and drop to replace any of the tracks.