Sign in to follow this  
lark

BNW Script Editing

8 posts in this topic

I've been having fun playing BNW, poring over the information available for it, and using editors to view and alter stuff in it.

However, when I try to use FF3usME or Zone Doctor CE to look at/modify the script, it doesn't work -- FF3usME tells me that "Dialogue Pointer Routines were hand hex edited" and that it can't read it, but that's about it.

Is there something I can do to view/modify the BNW script without excessive effort, or would trying to do so be a waste of my time?

I've had great success with 'Kruptar' and 'Windhex'. You'll also need to download the FF3us table file from Lord J's website.

You'll find all the pointer and dialog address information there as well. Or at FF6 Hacking.

With the right info you can be hacking the script witnin 10-20 mins.

Just 2 tips. The dialog is across 2 banks. So within Kruptar you'll need to setup 2 lists. With one referenced to hD0000 and the other referenced to hE0000.

Also in the table file there are  two hex numbers are assigned to *. You'll need to change one of them. I used ^ and it worked fine. Using notepad++ as an editor.

Be aware that there isn't much room for movement. As most of the space has already been filled. Kruptar will realighn all the pointers and optimise the space for any changes that you may make.

There is a bit of wriggle room in the second bank. Where you can move the Location names to the end of E0000 and free up a bit of room, but I think you'll only get between 150-200 extra words. (Or it may be characters, cant really remember).

Edited by F-Bomb
More Info

No worries.

If you need any help, I'd be glad to.

But you probably know just as much as me at this point.😊

Actually, I could use your help!

I've been using Kruptar, which is really convenient, but the */15 codes to give dialogue choices don't seem to be working consistently. Particularly in the explanation for the Narshe Moogle fight.

If it was all of them, I'd think it was transforming 15 into 55 59(I tried making a 15=15 code just in case, but no difference).

If it wasn't giving the new dialogue box from the *, I'd think I messed up that somehow.

But since it isn't either, I have no idea.

I had the same problem initially.

Did you edit the table so that 01=^ and 13=*

01 is basically ending the line, and 13 is killing the window and starting a new one. 

Initially the tbl file has both 01 and 13 as *. Which effectively changes all instances of 13 to 01. Therefor never creating a new window which stuffs up a lot of the choices.

I should have specified this in the initial post but I was a bit lazy. Sorry.

This table edit should solve your problems.

Edited by F-Bomb
More Info

Edit:

Oh, wait, I see, it merged the two functions so I can only get one, so I'll have to redo the scripting, or manually fix each one.

Ah well, learning stuff!

Edited by lark

Did you have different source and destination files? Or are you using the same file for both?

Changing the table file fixed all my faults, with the multiple chouces not working. That is what fixed the file for me. Maybe take out 15=15. I'm pretty sure that that isn't in the original tbl file.

If it we're me (and a month ago it was). I'd make sure all my tbl files and pointers etc were properly alligned. And start again. There is also another setting ptSeekSame which needs to be set from true to false. From what Ive read about it. I think itd do screwy things with ff6.

If you want I can post all my settings.