• Celes
    • Strago
    • Relm
    • Setzer
    • Gau
    • Mog
    • Umaro
    • Gogo

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

84 posts in this topic

Exactly what the title says - which character got the most use and/or contributed the most in your last playthrough? It'll be interesting to see how the results of this poll differ from the one on the ID forums, which is is somewhat corrupted by the fact that it's been up since forever and most of its votes were cast based on older versions of Brave New World.

Edited by BTB

Gau of course.. funny, fast, versatile, and unlimited. He by far was the star of my unoptimized team run saving their asses more than once with speedy Griffon heals.

Edited by Hordequester

I'd go with Setzer; able to heal a good amount of HP either at low cost or no cost while adding extra yet consistent damage to many battles. He's just really useful and versatile for me.

Mog, because his Dances are a legitimate option now, and I always liked Dragooning with him even in Vanilla.

Hm. I think I picked Locke last time for his durability, healing, and versatility, but the lack of MP self-sufficiency might make me switch. Cyan, Setzer, Celes, Mog, and Gau would be good for the same reasons plus they have MP-free healing or MP recharging. Celes was a bit unimpressive last time I tried her out because I didn't focus enough and went stamina heavy. Mog and Gau aren't consistent enough for MVP status for me, even though I love them now. Unfortunately Cyan does physical damage and I just like magic more.

Setzer it is!

Voted Sabin, almost voted Edgar (can't re-vote). Figaro Bros. are just solid damage dealers & supporters all game long. Edgar isn't as good a damage dealer, but he's also an even better supporter, as well as a tank.

Would vote Strago or Relm, if the game was only the WoR. The Figaro Bros. are kicking butt all game.

Would vote for Setzer, Celes, or Cyan, but they'd undeserving of the vote on certain builds. Edgar's always awesome. (Sabin has this issue too, which is why I wanted to change my vote to Edgar).

I haven't even finished WoB yet so I'm not going to vote on the thing; but, Cyan is my favorite so far!

Sabin, because there's no party he can't improve and no fight in which he can't contribute, as of several versions ago when I last played. He hits like a tank, tanks like a truck, inflicts valuable status ailments, uses Golem... what's not to like?

gonna lift my post from ID to further cement my firm stance on strago:

My original vote was Celes, but I've since taken the vote back because–while I cannot deny her value in any group, the least of which being the unbreakable titan of defense in my LLG–she's more of a favorite than an MVP, and I consider the two to be different ideas. While she's no doubt my favorite character to use, there are others that would be more appropriate to be considered the most useful or influential in their roles in battle.

Namely, Strago and Shadow.

I've gushed enough about Strago in my LLG and other places (looking at you, Discord chat), but that doesn't mean he's any less worthy of the title. His bases are min/maxed so that he can fill his designated roles to the best of his ability (more so than most any other character), and while his versatility isn't as vast as, say, Locke, his stats and equipment loadout is optimized to an extreme degree to complement his options, few as they are. In a magically oriented role, his damage is beyond measure, with big numbers coming from neutral elemental hits. Against elemental weaknesses, his power is only rivaled by Terra, and his access to X-Magic means that even though his speed is lackluster (which can be fixed through equipment without sacrificing too much magic power since his bases are good enough to carry him for a long time), he can devastate anything that has the audacity to have a weakness to Ice, Poison, or instant death. Beyond X-Magic, Lore grants him some major variety with his magical options at the cost of dual casting. Tsunami is ridiculous against anything that doesn't negate water damage, Blaze and Bad Breath are incredible for setting statuses, Shield grants him a very special role as the fastest character that can set up Safe and Shell on the whole party (two turns with Zoneseek, three with X-Magic), Raze is so powerful that even its intentionally shitty double-elemental property can't stop the carnage, and Black Omen is almost literally a reskinned Quasar. 

In a Stamina build, Strago has, bar none, the single greatest magical defense in the entire game. Even without investment in Magic ELs, his 48 base Magic can service him up to the endgame with the right equipment, and he's basically a Ribbon on wheels with the right EL investment.

This is my go-to Strago, and he doesn't give a wrinkly old fuck about magical damage. Inherent Regen coming off of 109 Stamina makes him self-sufficient in battles where magical attacks are flying around, and 60 Magic hits pretty hard no matter what an enemy's magical defense is. Death Ward is honestly optional considering how quickly he can set Safe and Shell on everybody, and sometimes I replace it with an Amulet for some more bulk if Safe/Shell isn't and issue. Strago's awesome. 

And then there's Shadow. Fantastic evasion, fantastic speed, fantastic utility, and his speed works incredibly well with his damage options, so much so that Shadow's DPS is among the highest on the roster (I'm of the firm belief that Shadow/his Scrolls are due for a good nerf, but that's a different story). His options are pretty few with only two and a half real builds, but he does them so magnificently that that's all he needs for his claim to fame, so to speak. Phantom ELs for counter king and knife throwing, Fenrir for breaking the game in half in ways that other characters wish they were capable of, mix for a nice balance of both.

Not only is this one of my favorite builds in the entire game, it's also one of the most effective at basically everything that Shadow's options allow. 104 speed +Haste and 84% evade (74% if Ninja Mask is opted over Dark Hood, which I usually choose for counters) allows Shadow to zip around the battlefield faster than anyone else on the roster, and his speed complements his utility options fantastically. There's no one better than Shadow when it comes to throwing Phoenix Downs out when needed, and access to Smoke Bombs and Inviz Scrolls lets him apply one of the best overall buffs and one of the best situational buffs (respectively) with incredible ease. His Throw tools are cheap and relatively easy to maintain, especially in the WoR where their prices are basically non-issues, access to Regen, Rerise, HasteX, and Fenrir let him set even more buffs on the party, and Butterfly/Man Eater knives make his anti-humanoid potential rival Cyan. Even Healing Shivs, while somewhat uncommon, are an interesting and surprisingly potent ST heal when thrown by Shadow.

But above of those options, Shadow's DPS with full Fenrir investment reigns supreme. Like I said, humanoid enemies get wrecked by Butterfly/Man Eater Throws, Shurikens are ridiculously cheap for how useful they are throughout the majority of the game, but the elemental Scrolls are far and away the most ludicrous of Shadow's DPS options. With b.pow values of 100 apiece, the elemental Scrolls are almost on par with Fire 3's overall power (108), and even with split damage, Scrolls hit incredibly hard for how cheap they are and for how early they are available. Even early game, having that kind of power as early as Jidoor is crazy when you consider that Shadow's base Magic is, for some reason, on par with Celes', and it gets crazier as the game progresses. The Kazekiri gives a big boost to Magic (and Wind Slash counters fucking hurt), the Memento Ring's +7 Magic is hilarious on the Floating Continent, the Mutsunokami's higher Magic and better proc compared to the Kazekiri is insane, and the Rogue Cloak's 25% damage boost makes Shadow's Scrolls/Aero procs hit outrageously fucking hard. And then when you factor in that he gets about two turns to the average character's one, his DPS is honestly really scary; god forbid he hits an elemental weakness, he may as well be a Terra on wheels at that point. 

Yeah, he's one of the flimsiest characters on the roster, and his evasion stats only go so far to avoid damage, but considering how cheap his consumables are and how easy it is to maintain his upkeep through Rerise/Regen/Image/Haste, Shadow's options make him an incredibly potent team member in whatever role he needs to fill. With nATB's effects on Speed and the removal of the soft cap for speed as a result, Shadow's Speed opens up options to him that are otherwise impractical or otherwise impossible to any other character, and his equipment loadout allows him to be dangerously effective at what he does.

Third pick: Yeti. Who needs finesse when you throw your own teammates at enemies for the damage cap? 

hope y'all like big, thick, girthy walls of text as much as I do.

vWuk7AW.jpg

GG2BH2r.jpg

Edited by BTB

My opinion will be rather biased considering I haven't fully dived into the options of every character, but here's my rough opinion so far:

I was skeptical at first, but after this playthrough, I'm gonna have to go with Sabin. Pump him with Stamina and a Life Bell and you won't even NEED Terrato. Aurabolt hits absurdly hard, and is especially useful on undead foes. Sabin has offense, defense, free healing AND free MP for the party. Sabin can take on any role effectively from my experience.

Close contendors go to Locke, since he's fast, hits like a truck, and is a literal life saver, Relm, for easy heals and surprisingly consistent Sketch abillity (2700 damage to Atma every turn! o.O) and Gau for his massive utillity, especially with Griffin (Playing 1.8.4)

I also want to give my boy Setzer some love. He is hands down the most effective healer from what I've experienced. Heals for alot, and has MP for days. Even his Slots heal my party a good 700 HP as early as Daryll's Tomb. His defensive options are godlike, making him survive as long as Sabin (if not longer) and his Slot attacks (Solitaire <3) hit for MASSIVE damage. It's especially awesome since even without using pause/slow mo cheats, I can still hit it roughly 95% of the time, and of course, no MP so...

Edgar is the man. I pumped him mostly with Palidor and he does enough damage with Jump to make Sabin jealous. Even after neglecting his tools, I still find Flash pretty useful.

I've recently come to appreciate Cyan alot more this time around. I kept obsessing over the idea of pumping him full of Vigor and sticking him in the front row only to do not so great damamge till later on. I've found that pumping him full of HP/Stamina and throwing out Dragons and Eclipses from the back row was far more rewarding.

Still not a fan of Mog, Gogo, Shadow, and Strago is taking some getting used to (I have high hopes for him)

Umaro is fun to use, but moves too slow for how little damage his regular attacks do (Haste barely helps)

Terra and Celes are great (Especially Terra) but I find them somewhat boring to use, mostly because they can do pretty much anything. I'm a sucker for characters who are lopsided as all hell (Looking at you, Locke)

"Pump him with Stamina and a Life Bell and you won't even NEED Terrato. "

Why not both

25 Terrato Sabin is a magical thing

On 5/25/2017 at 11:57 AM, MagiteKira said:

Gau for his massive utillity, especially with Griffin (Playing 1.8.4)

He's still quite effective in .5 so far. Griffin used to overheal for me now it seems to be just enough right around the time you can get it and razorleaf works on most mobs. Tumbleweed then is what Griffin used to be in .4 once you can get it. Gotta speak up for my vote! =P

Edited by Hordequester

Tumbleweed is actually a bit better since it comes with inherent Regen and status immunities.

Sabin not because I'm the one who introduced Hybrid Sabin in the first place, but because:

- Solid bases all round: The guy can do pretty well all across WoB and decent enough until Kefka's Tower 

- Dual-wield killing machine: Claws are the most efficient way to deal good physical + elemental damage and you can mix them to get various debuffs/stats 

- Blitz: He can set statuses while dealing damage reliably (especially now that you can add slow via suplex)

- Dodgy Tank: He's not supposed to absorb several hits but rather take one or two and avoid the rest like a champ 

And finally:

-He's a well designed character: I always crack with his jokes, get sad when his cut-scenes with his bro are on the loose and he's actually one of the few people in the world that it's actively doing something more that watch as the world crumble around him

Edited by ronlyn

I want to say Cyan merely for the fact just how much he has improved compared to the slow-as-shit turtle he was in unmodded FF6. If the WoR didn't exist, he's basically be top tier with both Dispatch and Mindblow being useful exactly around the point you recruit him, Empowerer being a full heal + reasonable damage early on and Flurry being great at both damaging and confusing random encounters. Later on, Dragon and Eclipse benefit greatly from a stam build and are always useful even in the WoR, though not anywhere DPS-wise due to his slow speed. 

Besides, he's one of the few not 'main' characters who gets a lot of character develop and detail, even if the vanilla plot seems bipolar-like in switching between angst-ridden survivors guilt and 'hur hur, antiquated accents'. Then there's dat 'stache as well.

But yeah... anything he can do, someone as can probably do better - or with more support or healing options available - but as a crutch character who's builds clearly define what he'll perform best in, Cyan's the best. 

Endgame, I'm thinking either Terra, Celes or Locke would be MVP merely for their diversity and suitabillity for whatever you build them for. 

On that: anyone who enlighten me why Setzer gets a decent share of votes? After two playthrough, I don't really see the appeal in his rather limited magic pool or equipment choice (tried both Magic build + Dice and Stam build + 2X Doom darts) but aside from free heals there wasn't anything that set him apart. Maybe it's because I suck balls at slots or just missing the obvious...