• Celes
    • Strago
    • Relm
    • Setzer
    • Gau
    • Mog
    • Umaro
    • Gogo

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

84 posts in this topic

My vote goes to Locke almost entirely because of my experiences in the final gauntlet. Having always been a fan of Rerise, I decided to try taking a team of Double-Wing Vig Terra/Phantom Shadow/Crusader Celes/The Bank Setzer into the final battle, but Setzer just wasn't able to keep everyone on their feet, we never even made it past Tier 1

I replaced the Bank with Phoenix Locke and sailed right through, beating the whole tower and Kefka in one go. Such is the power of the Sage Stone. 

Locke initially ran away with the first character poll we did back on ID. Seems he's been reeled in a bit since then...

On 1/27/2019 at 5:36 AM, BTB said:

Locke initially ran away with the first character poll we did back on ID. Seems he's been reeled in a bit since then...

I'd say it has more to do with an increase in general balance. My choice was up in the air until I hit the final battle. Celes, Setzer and Shadow were all in the running until Locke turned a very tough battle into a borderline cakewalk.

The balance that has been achieved over the past few versions has a sort of cascading effect. More balanced (usually less difficult overall) bosses and enemies allow a wider variety of builds to be viable. At the same time, other characters and Locke's other builds have been (mostly) brought up in power. This leads to people playing with non-Phoenix Locke, which is totally fine, but it leaves them less familiar with the power of Locke's X-Magic. 

I feel like I made my point, but I want to make sure I point out that everything I'm saying is positive. Text can be woefully inadequate at communicating tone, and as I read what I wrote, it sounds much more negative than I intended. Can't wait to see what new character builds become viable in 2.0! (Dog Farts, yo!)

It's a matter of opinion I played Phenix Locke and for me it didn't feel better than other characters, in fact I didn't use it for Final Kefka at all, you were comparing him with Bank Setzer well yeah Bank Setzer has some Magic issue end-game I give you that, but a Shoat Setzer (with some Seraph to keep him alive) is definitly better than Phenix Locke for me Go Fish being almost a free Cure 2 (almost as powerfull as 2 Cure 2 cast with Sage Stone Locke), Blackjack being basically a lesser but free Ultima that set Sap, Trifecta setting Stop and Solitaire setting Blind (2 usefull statut effects for mob fight and again free of charge), and unlike Phenix Locke all this tools for Setzer are available as soon as he joins, while Phenix Locke is endgame only making Setzer overall more usefull throughout the entire game than Locke (Yeah people seems to forgot that there is an entire game to go through not only the end game stuff XD).

2 hours ago, ff7hero said:

I'd say it has more to do with an increase in general balance.

Yep, that's the idea! The entire point of this poll was to help me identify which characters needed buffing and which didn't, so the ultimate goal is a wide variety of responses.

22 hours ago, Nesouk said:

It's a matter of opinion I played Phenix Locke and for me it didn't feel better than other characters, in fact I didn't use it for Final Kefka at all, you were comparing him with Bank Setzer well yeah Bank Setzer has some Magic issue end-game I give you that, but a Shoat Setzer (with some Seraph to keep him alive) is definitly better than Phenix Locke for me Go Fish being almost a free Cure 2 (almost as powerfull as 2 Cure 2 cast with Sage Stone Locke), Blackjack being basically a lesser but free Ultima that set Sap, Trifecta setting Stop and Solitaire setting Blind (2 usefull statut effects for mob fight and again free of charge), and unlike Phenix Locke all this tools for Setzer are available as soon as he joins, while Phenix Locke is endgame only making Setzer overall more usefull throughout the entire game than Locke (Yeah people seems to forgot that there is an entire game to go through not only the end game stuff XD).

Yeah, if I ever master Slots, my opinion of Setzer might change. Using a team without two super squishies like Vig Terra and Shadow might have also helped. No one else can repeatedly wake two characters up from their dirt naps. Even with Setzer, Celes and Terra, I couldn't Rerise fast enough to keep up. 

Generally I found every "squishy" character not dying that often, I always make sure said character have at least a +25% HP bonus (either equipment or Esper equip), with Safe and Shell they can survive good enough (and in Shadow's case a high Evasion also help ^^). I've never use Rerise to be honnest yet manage to go through, I see that in the case of having a team with 2 or 3 Glass Canon with nothing to increase survivability casting 2x Life would help a lot but that wasn't my case ^^".

My vote has changed to Celes after my last playthrough.

She can do everything and well at that. Hit hard, tank physical or magical damage, absorb spells. He only "weakness" was her spellcasting potential as I didn't really build her to have alot of Magic Power but it was still enough whenever I needed to cure or hit a weakness. 

Can't believe I used to avoid using Terra/Celes.

With 1.9 on its way out, it's time to go ahead and lock this old pupper up. Thanks to everyone who voted - hope to see you again in the 2.0 thread.