praetarius5018

Seiken Densetsu 3 Sin of Mana - Discussion

971 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Nesouk said:

I let that do the speak

I'm not into playing guessing games; if you want to say something do so.
As you said yourself the tools to deal with that exist.

I understand your reasoning behind your ideas but eh, same problem I ran with Gorva, my characters missing most of the time I barely could have tech points ready for a puipui grass/a fast item heal, or Stardust herb for his black curse spamming.

By the time my character casted Regeneration Gorva ended up mauling a character that way. Prayed to luck I gained enough tech points to revive the character and my hits would actually land. Managed to do that in the end. 

Tzenker and Gorva were the toughest fights so far. I beat Genova the second time, not sure what happened the first time I fought him with none of my attacks landing, there were no misses either.

I think for early game it's best to set your characters to not use techs at all, reserce them for the items in case. And this is ftom my Normal difficulty experience can't imagine how this would be in hard. I might even move down to an easier difficulty for this play to get used.

Edited by smileless

2 hours ago, smileless said:

I understand your reasoning behind your ideas but eh, same problem I ran with Gorva, my characters missing most of the time I barely could have tech points ready for a puipui grass/a fast item heal, or Stardust herb for his black curse spamming.

By the time my character casted Regeneration Gorva ended up mauling a character that way. Prayed to luck I gained enough tech points to revive the character and my hits would actually land. Managed to do that in the end. 

Tzenker and Gorva were the toughest fights so far. I beat Genova the second time, not sure what happened the first time I fought him with none of my attacks landing, there were no misses either.

I think for early game it's best to set your characters to not use techs at all, reserce them for the items in case. And this is ftom my Normal difficulty experience can't imagine how this would be in hard. I might even move down to an easier difficulty for this play to get used.

Well I'm playing on Hard and yeah, didn't reach Gorva yet but Tzenker is definitly a major pain in the ass as you can see in my clip, it's completly up to her AI sometime she might decide to stay out of reach spamming spell and Feather attack never allowing you to land a single hit.

When she do however come in range, I can deal a lot of Damage thank to Duran's Earth Saber, HP Drain + YellowDMG heal on both Hawk and Duran, thank to her Low Defense the HP Drain allow to get 20-30HP back combine with the Yellow DMG Heal through Crit and Counter and I could heal Hawk very quickly (in fact this is a very good combo in general once you get good at landing Counter), could keep Duran alive to with that also put an Quick Item on him so that he could use 2 items in the row once reaching 7 TP help to keep Carlie alive. Using Shuriken and Holy Ball when she fly away (and Shuriken accuracy debuff is welcome as well) and eventually I beat her took some tries tough, but yeah now she is really tough on Hard, might be tougher than Jewel Eater depending of the team also at least 2 Dream Res. accessory are VERY welcome.

In comparison Genova was much easier, I to got that weird glitch, except in my case it happen in the middle of the fight, but when that Glitch don't happen it's an easy fight, Thunder Jutsu on Genova, Thunder Saber on Hawk (I was on Jinn Day), and just go hammer him and his mob with Hawk while Carlie was spamming MT Holy Ball.

As for Bil and Ben they are the tough but the Revenge Mechanic being change (aka no more Shadow Dive counter) actually open possibility for this fight, namely since Shadow Dive is a LOOOOT less frequent an Evasion Build now works wonder against them, TP on Dodge armor allow to almost throw items whenever you want thanks to the sheer amount of hits they try to give us, and since no more Counter LV2 Tech and spell are much more viable, so Whirlwind Sword to hit both of them, Earth Jutsu with Hawk and keep Speed and Defense buffed with Scales, and this fight goes nicely, keep an eye on the HP tough as while they will not hit much normally, can still melt your HP really fast if the RNG give them the chance.

9 hours ago, Nesouk said:

In comparison Genova was much easier, I to got that weird glitch, except in my case it happen in the middle of the fight

did you hear a ding sound as if the enemy was guarding?

also you make it sound like I need to buff B/B.

12 hours ago, smileless said:

same problem I ran with Gorva, my characters missing most of the time I barely could have tech points ready for a puipui grass/a fast item heal, or Stardust herb for his black curse spamming.

did you try the heavy/slow attack with increased accuracy?

12 hours ago, smileless said:

I understand your reasoning behind your ideas but eh

if you've got ideas how we can tweak it to be more workable we can discuss this.
but dropping it is at this point right out.

8 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

did you hear a ding sound as if the enemy was guarding?

No I didn't hear the ding sound.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:32 AM, praetarius5018 said:

if you've got ideas how we can tweak it to be more workable we can discuss this.
but dropping it is at this point right out.

In my opinion, tech points =/= items. It's tech based for a reason, not related to item. It's an inventory, like a bag you carry around. And it wont matter if you can carry up to 20 per healing item when TP only allow you so many items to use. Should I use a tech or maybe conserve it for item? Should I set other two characters that I can't control to not use any tech just so I can use items?

Maybe limit the amount of items you can carry in battle by turning off TP requirement for items.

Or if you really want to have that feature maybe lowering it to 2 tech point requirement instead, might be not as bad as just eating 4 tech points, especially now that gaining TP is also limited per swing/attack instead of per hit.

Multi Moogle based attacks are now as dangerous as multi petrify attacks. Like against Tzenker, not enough hits landed to use a single item boom moogle status, barely enough tech points, just restart the game it's game over, because you had 20 herbs but couldn't use a single one of them.

In my opinion, tech points =/= items.

This is not an arguement; WE call it that, the game doesn't.

Maybe limit the amount of items you can carry in battle by turning off TP requirement for items.

I already said I won't remove it.
This would just add the hassle of having to take stuff out of storage every 1-2 battles.
Also it'd get us back to the pay to win level of items; just think how many different damage items you can carry, even if it was only 4 each it is enough to beat bosses before they can do anything, not fun.

Hey, I just realized that you released 1.4 bug fix.  Thanks!

Some questions though:

-removed check that sets LUCK to max if it is 20 or above on any kill
-fixed that the day bonus on melee attacks checked for the target's saber instead of the attacker's
-added element check on Lv2/3 techs (immune, absorb and reflect deal 1 damage instead of their real effects)

Could you please explain what those 3 things mean?

1. So, does that mean that vanilla made maxed out LCK stat if it was 20 or above? (so if Hawk had 20/21/22 Luck, it was equivalent to having 32 Luck, at least during the battle?)  And your patch makes it so that Luck stat is 20/21/22, instead of 32?

2. I honestly didn't understand what that meant.  Did vanilla saber magic boost enemy's attack during enemy's element day?

3. I'm guessing this means that attacks like Duran DD's Lv3 attack will now do fire damage? (and get boost during the element day)

4 hours ago, hmsong said:

1. So, does that mean that vanilla made maxed out LCK stat if it was 20 or above? (so if Hawk had 20/21/22 Luck, it was equivalent to having 32 Luck, at least during the battle?)  And your patch makes it so that Luck stat is 20/21/22, instead of 32?

If you have 20+ luck and anything dies the game goes and looks what your class's max luck is and just gives you that as luck stat.
Which means 1-2 free stat points on Hawk and otherwise only affects cheater.

2. I honestly didn't understand what that meant.  Did vanilla saber magic boost enemy's attack during enemy's element day?

If you have e.g. fire saber you'd expect that you deal more damage on fire day.
The bug was that you take more damage.
On spells it works correctly; if you inflict fire damage on fire day you get a damage increase.

3. I'm guessing this means that attacks like Duran DD's Lv3 attack will now do fire damage? (and get boost during the element day)

They now take your saber into consideration.

Oh wow.  Thank you for the thorough explanation.  Now that makes sense.

1 hour ago, praetarius5018 said:

They now take your saber into consideration.

Ohh, so that's what you meant.  Thanks.  Now, that makes Saber is even more powerful than it already was, but what you did definitely makes more sense.

Hm I see Evil Shaman learned Demon Breath earlier than she was supposed too (I didn't even raise her PIE level that's the first spell she learned), while I raised her LCK at 22 but no Anti-Magic yet, or do I have to learn Lunatic first which comes before that regardless of stat?

3 hours ago, smileless said:

Hm I see Evil Shaman learned Demon Breath earlier than she was supposed too (I didn't even raise her PIE level that's the first spell she learned), while I raised her LCK at 22 but no Anti-Magic yet, or do I have to learn Lunatic first which comes before that regardless of stat?

d.breath was set as 3 (0x03) not 19 (0x13)...
you can learn anti-magic without lunatic.
...and both check for pie not luck...

1 hour ago, praetarius5018 said:

d.breath was set as 3 (0x03) not 19 (0x13)...
you can learn anti-magic without lunatic.
...and both check for pie not luck...

From the classes_capstones document it says the LUCK stat for Lunatic and Anti-Magic, Demon breath 19 PIE.

Evil Shaman:    30/30/28/30/31/31
class change item: Bottle of Blood
spell list:
Holy Ball*, Tinkle Rain
Unicorn Head, Machine Golem, Ghoul, Ghost Road# (20 INT, replaces Ghost)
Demon Breath* (19 PIE)
Transshape (16 AGL)
Protect Up (17 VIT)
Sleep Flower* (15 STR)
Lunatic (19 LUCK), Anti-Magic (22 LUCK)

as farwell to 2020:

v2.021

• missing now generates 1 TP if the equipped weapon can generate TP by itself
  • pressure now affects enemies' revenge healing
  • decreased revenge threshold for Bill/Ben and Fiegmund
  • nerfed Landumber's gimmick damage increase
  • fixed damage table for hard melee damage from monster being 2x tough damage instead of 2x normal damage
  • fixed bug that allowed some bosses to profit from your auto-buffs
  • fixed the yellow damage heal weapon not working
  • fixed the HP up shield bonus not being applied
  • excluded MP up from auto-buff compatible effect list
  • fixed spell learning of Evil Shaman
  • reduced Dolan's frequency of casting his instantkill combo
  • reduced Mispolm's magic damage by 25%

Another question about mechanics: if a character has an armor with auto-buff, are the character's buffs automatically applied to the caster only, or all party members?

on map transition (or what the game counts as those) all buffs that are marked as auto-buff are applied to all party members.
doesn't matter if the buffs are (one), (one/all) or (self).

Congrats on 2.0, Praetarius! From my quick read of the changelog it looks like you've made awesome progress :-) I've been focused on establishing myself in a a new job/new location these past few months and so had to put Sin of Mana aside, temporarily.... But I should have more time in the New Year, and I'm excited to get back into it; so many new character builds to choose from!

I haven't started playing yet, but you can bet I'll be spending some time with this over the coming weekend. I for one am happy to see item usage nerfed with respect to alternative methods of healing.

I noticed a vanilla bug (at least, I think it's a bug) -- when you change the final class to LD class, the items you get from ??? seeds change to DL and DD items, even though you're supposed to get LL and LD items.  If you decide to release another bug fix for the original game, I'd appreciate it if you can fix that problem.  Thanks in advance.

Also, I posted a question in non-SoM patches regarding the changing prices of inns (in case you missed it).  If you are willing to, I'd appreciate it if you can teach me that.  In any case, thanks in advance.

Hello, I just downloaded the latest patch and applied it along with the animation skip patch today and started a new game. 

Somehow there's an issue after you talk to Bon Voyage and he asks you to go get gunpowder, when you leave the house, I believe there's usually a very short cutscene. 

But this said cutscene doesn't trigger and therefore you can't progress through the story. You can still move around, talk to people, play the game like you normally do but you just can no longer progress through the story.

I thought it was just a save file corruption so I started another new game and got back to same point but with different party members but I still have the same issue on this save as well. 

Any idea what could be the cause of this? I really like this patch so far and would love to play more so if there's any way anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it! 

Thank you in advance. 
I fixed it!
Seems to be a problem with that specific ROM. I tried patching a different ROM and it works flawlessly now :)

Edited by chanuuw

Could you try without the animation skip patch, I don't have it and didn't get that issue, so probably come from that.

On 09/05/2017 at 5:54 PM, praetarius5018 said:

Current Version: v2.021, 2020/12/31

Sister thread (probably down forever)

Major features:

• Equipment offers various bonuses instead of a simple attack and defense progression
  • Rebalanced classes, stats and spells, almost everything is usable now
  • Modified formulas that keep even high level techs useful
  • Expanded inbattle options with running, regular strong attacks and counter techs
  • Passive MP regeneration with high cost spells: be smart with your magic
  • Extensive boss AI changes
  • Accelerated level curve: from class changing at the earliest mana stone to facing the final boss at the level cap
  • Transformed the shield slot into a second accessoire slot for everyone, shields count as regular accessoires
  • Increased inventory capacity to 20 per item type instead of 9
  • Tons of bugfixes ranging from agility stats not working to Kevin's wolfform stacking attack bonuses
  • 5 difficulties to choose from, covering the spectrum from "easier than vanilla" to "Atlus would be proud"

Roadmap until v1.0

Reveal hidden contents

bosses:

• Darkshine Knight
  • Koren
  • Dragon Emperor
  • Jagan
  • Bigeau
  • Archdemon

missing items:

• final weapon for Lord
  • final weapon for Duelist
  • final weapon for Ninjamaster
  • final weapon for Nightblade
  • final weapon for Grand Divina
  • final weapon for Archmage
  • final weapon for Magus
  • final weapon for Vanadise
  • final weapon for Starlancer

Potential ideas towards v2.0

Reveal hidden contents
  • class capstone at level 68 (akin to a 3rd mini class, probably via one of the dummy items)

Hi I'm playing on Normal mode difficult and I see when in battle I can't use my recovering itens like Candy or Chocolate. Is this a bug? It makes battle some hard to handle against bosses, no problem in normal enimies though. 

2 hours ago, JennaSS said:

Hi I'm playing on Normal mode difficult and I see when in battle I can't use my recovering itens like Candy or Chocolate. Is this a bug? It makes battle some hard to handle against bosses, no problem in normal enimies though. 

This is answered in the changelog of version 2.0:

On 21.12.2020 at 5:38 PM, praetarius5018 said:

so to sum up the changelog for 2.0:
tl;dw

Hide contents
  • added Lv60 capstones
  • inbattle item use now costs 4 TP

4 hours ago, JennaSS said:

Hi I have a new problem when I get in Maia after defeat golens I reach main meaning go to Forcena, the line is I have to talk to some people in Maia the go to the cave and talk to the statue and then use light spirit to open the cave and get in. But when I go to talk to the statue it simply ask me to save the game instead of open the dialog with fairy to use light spirit. I tried everything.