praetarius5018

Seiken Densetsu 3 Sin of Mana - Discussion

971 posts in this topic

I reached Maia and all the level one accessories/rings are available for purchase on Kevin. Angela and Charlie can't equip their own accessories, but Kevin can equip all of them.

Edited by velsper

9 hours ago, Gamerdude535 said:

Started playing a bit ago with Duran , Kevin, and Angela, just got to Maia and find myself with more input to throw out there

Armor affecting HP is a sweet and interesting feature but some of them should probably be looked at. Not sure that Bezant Mail should be giving Duran less HP than Hard leather :P. The defense compensates for it a bit but it feels weird

And in terms of the story Angela not having Holy Ball in her potential spell list as Magician but getting Fireball and later Ice Smash before even meeting the matching elemental spirits doesn't make sense. 

That being said it's a great rom hack and I'm having a lot of fun so far.

Holy Ball is the same story with Carlie's Heal Light: the dark side class must not have it, so the base can't either because there is no "forget spell" mechanism.
And Fireball felt like a good replacement; it is the classic first spell for RPG mages and enough light can burn too, ask any vampire :P

Ice Smash from the earth spirit...
I mostly wanted to have Angela with all 4 base spells before she can get her Lv2s in the dark class at Tzenker.
If I kept ice where it was she could have earth at lv3 before ice lv1, that would be even stupider.

8 hours ago, velsper said:

I'm restarting the game after a minute of not dabbling in it. I keep pressing the b button with a full tech bar, but I'm not firing off a tech. I hold it down and I run around just fine though. 

As written above - working as intended.
Knowing the unmodified game is more a curse here than a blessing; control scheme/not running in battle, black market addicition, lv1 tech spam - probably some habits have to be unlearned, sorry.
You might remember the BS this hack was at the beginning? I want(ed) to get away from that, some bridges had to be burned.

7 hours ago, Serafie1999AD said:

Hi Praetarius, nice to see this hack still going. ^_^

Hi! Thanks for doing my job :D

5 hours ago, velsper said:

I reached Maia and all the level one accessories/rings are available for purchase on Kevin. Angela and Charlie can't equip their own accessories, but Kevin can equip all of them.

All accessoires should be equippable on all, you might have to pass them to other characters though via item transfer in the menu (middle top screen).
Buying is a bit weird in this game sometimes.

Edited by praetarius5018

Hi Praetarius, do you still have plans to redo/update the current start menu screen? Even if you could just make it perform faster than it does now would be sufficient.

Equipping Charlie and Angela through the top middle inventory screen did it, thanks. I think I might've gotten an old version of the mod, though. Charlie has Holy Ball, which I remember reading a few posts up that you didn't want her to have before her class split? 

Edit: Huh, it says it's version 0.925 though...

Edited by velsper

Holy Ball is right, Heal Light is not supposed to be known to her until she goes to a light class.

14 hours ago, Lancalot said:

Hi Praetarius, do you still have plans to redo/update the current start menu screen? Even if you could just make it perform faster than it does now would be sufficient.

I've currently no plans beyond 1.0, that is the 3rd final boss and 3 weapons.

Edited by praetarius5018

I have a question about the hate/revamped counter mechanic:

Does everything now add hate or is it like the old system, where every boss had a list of stuff that triggered counters?

For example Tzenker used to always counter earth coins, but never countered if Angela casted Earth Missile.

Basically, is knowledge of the old counter mechanics still worth a damn, or can I forget them?

PS:

Also don't forget to change HandAxe/Darts. Currently they cost the same to buy in black market, but Handaxe is lvl 2.5 damage, while Darts are lvl 1.5, making Darts completely useless aside from a scenario where you want to throw more than 20 physical damage Items in one battle. So either nerf Axes, or make them more expensive.

Edited by saryakan

54 minutes ago, saryakan said:

I have a question about the hate/revamped counter mechanic:

Does everything now add hate or is it like the old system, where every boss had a list of stuff that triggered counters?

For example Tzenker used to always counter earth coins, but never countered if Angela casted Earth Missile.

Basically, is knowledge of the old counter mechanics still worth a damn, or can I forget them?

Forget about the old system.
Every enemy uses the same "list"; regular attacks (+critical), lv1 techs (except counters), lv2/3 techs, all spells count, doesn't matter what enemy type it is.

Most regular enemies don't live long enough to where it is relevant.
Also most regular enemies don't even have a "counter", neither do several bosses.

55 minutes ago, saryakan said:

Also don't forget to change HandAxe/Darts. Currently they cost the same to buy in black market, but Handaxe is lvl 2.5 damage, while Darts are lvl 1.5, making Darts completely useless aside from a scenario where you want to throw more than 20 physical damage Items in one battle. So either nerf Axes, or make them more expensive.

Thanks, I again forgot about that..

Sorry if this is asked before, but would it be difficult to implement a way to skip spell animations? Most of the time spend playing co-op is watching either of us casting spells and it gets kinda reduntant the more you play. 

Which ones? All? Non-boss-special ones? Only (de)buffs?
Should that happen always/automatically? Or just when you hold e.g. X when the top-messages appears and it would transition to an animation?

In short, no idea.

The animations that have bothered me the most are Mind Up/Down and Power Up/Down, as they take the longest. I don't mind something like Ancient or Catastrophe taking long, as they're supposed to be rare, ultimate spells, but regular stat spells like Mind Up/Down taking 10 seconds usually makes me press the fast-forward button. ^^; Maybe add an optional patch that removes those 4 animations, or replaces them with shorter ones from other spells?

I'll go with hold X (menu which is at that point blocked anyway) on any of the 3 controllers before the animation starts (while the spell name is displayed on top) to skip it completely.
That way you can choose yourself what you want to skip and what not.

It is now official, there'll never be a public release of a 1.0 for this hack.

v1.029

• added optional patch "skippable_spell_animation": skip spell animations via holding X before the animation starts
  • adjusted Xan Bie's stats
  • adjusted Lightgazer's stats
  • adjusted Landumber's stats and specials
  • adjusted Fiegmund's stats and specials
  • Ninja Master's final weapon "Kongo Rakan" now forces targets into counterable state if a spell hits a weakness
  • Nightblade's final weapon "Deathstroke" now increases Lv2/3 tech damage while below 300 HP
  • Grand Divina's final weapon "Ganvantein" now adds saber effect for elemental spells cast at allies
  • altered maxMP by level slightly
  • added diminishing returns for maxMP, values below 20 stay as is, former 38 max MP gets reduced to 25
  • reduced handaxe item from Lv2.5 to Lv1.5; same as cost-identical darts
  • fixed a bug that made Lv2/3 techs drain all MP if a Sage Stone is equipped
  • on easy difficulty and below enemies have halved chance to land status effects with their regular attacks

My oldest backup of anything related to this hack is dated 2014/07/22, so 3 years and 2 months total.
Thought it was longer.

Oh baby, another update. I'm holding back on playing this again until all updates are finished, and it's killing me. Maybe I should give it another go soon.

Anyways, 3 years and 2 months on this hack, working alone? That's some impressive perseverance you have there, man, and I love you for it.

Great job for finally exceeding version 1.0! ^_^ I've been playing the hack since version 0.102, and I'm glad to see how it's progressed steadily during these years. A few questions about the change notes:

2 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:
  • adjusted Xan Bie's stats
  • adjusted Lightgazer's stats
  • adjusted Landumber's stats and specials
  • adjusted Fiegmund's stats and specials

So no changes for the Dragon Emperor?

2 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:
  • Grand Divina's final weapon "Ganvantein" now adds saber effect for elemental spells cast at allies

What does this mean? Does it mean that whenever an enemy (or you) casts an elemental spell on your characters, the characters receive additional damage, as if the caster had a Saber buff? If so, that sounds like the weapon has very limited uses. :S (well, you can make all characters resistant to some element, then the saber effect will make spells of that element deal even less damage, but it's a very specialized strategy) Or did you mean this: if Angela casts an elemental spell on your own characters, they receive the damage from the spell, but they also gain the saber of that element?

Edited by Serafie1999AD

25 minutes ago, Serafie1999AD said:

So no changes for the Dragon Emperor?

I knew I forgot something in that list...
yes he's done from my point of view.

24 minutes ago, Serafie1999AD said:

What does this mean? Does it mean that whenever an enemy (or you) casts an elemental spell on your characters, the characters receive additional damage, as if the caster had a Saber buff? If so, that sounds like the weapon has very limited uses. :S (well, you can make all characters resistant to some element, then the saber effect will make spells of that element deal even less damage, but it's a very specialized strategy) Or did you mean this: if Angela casts an elemental spell on your own characters, they receive the damage from the spell, but they also gain the saber of that element?

It means that if the Grand Divina casts fireball at your party they take some damage (greatly reduced compared to normal but still some) and they get the effect as if she had used fire saber on them.
With this she has basically 18 spells - her regular 12 plus 6 saber replacements.

9 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

I'll go with hold X (menu which is at that point blocked anyway) on any of the 3 controllers before the animation starts (while the spell name is displayed on top) to skip it completely.

Thank you, this will make the game a lot more playable when using casters!

20 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:
  • added optional patch "skippable_spell_animation": skip spell animations via holding X before the animation starts

I never knew I wanted this.

This makes using Sabers/Buffs/Debuffs so much nicer.

I was wondering if you can create an optional patch where you can access the save menu on any screen via a hotkey, as long as there are no enemies or treasure chests left on that screen? I know you can use save states if you're playing on an emulator, but I've now had to restart the Labyrinth of the Ice Walls 4 times in a row. Once because of dying just a couple of screens before the save point, and 3 times I've had to restart because of an incurable Snowman bug. Occasionally if a character is turned into a Snowman at the end of a battle, the status becomes unhealable. Tinkle Rain won't heal it, neither will moving to another screen, or even touching a Gold Statue. I'm getting tired of playing through the same 20-30 minutes again and again because of a glitchy game, and I'd prefer to be able to save more frequently.

So here is a bug i found , i got poisoned from a treasure chest while duran and hawk had the lifesteal accecorys equipped and my health would continiously go down even after i screen transinitioned.
Hawk was wearing the passive life regen accecory so i could understand if that was buggy and the game cant handle Dot and regen at the same time.
I cured the poison via screen changing and not healingherbs thou. (Lise had cobra earings and was ofc fine)

over lv 36, poison smoke trap, at least tough difficulty?
if so -> feature

I evaluated traps past 2nd class change to be a non-issue since every party should have heal light by then, so I added some side effects that last until the next victory.
Those effects require lv36 before they start appearing, something like a noob protection.
Also they currently only apply on tough and hard difficulty.

On 20.9.2017 at 1:29 AM, Serafie1999AD said:

I was wondering if you can create an optional patch where you can access the save menu on any screen via a hotkey, as long as there are no enemies or treasure chests left on that screen? I know you can use save states if you're playing on an emulator, but I've now had to restart the Labyrinth of the Ice Walls 4 times in a row. Once because of dying just a couple of screens before the save point, and 3 times I've had to restart because of an incurable Snowman bug. Occasionally if a character is turned into a Snowman at the end of a battle, the status becomes unhealable. Tinkle Rain won't heal it, neither will moving to another screen, or even touching a Gold Statue. I'm getting tired of playing through the same 20-30 minutes again and again because of a glitchy game, and I'd prefer to be able to save more frequently.

Was the character "dead" when the snowman was inflicted? That makes you unable to be "hit" by spells and item effects.
Or anything else special?
I'm quite against save anywhere, for the simple reason that it will cause situations like the ghost ship bug (corrupt save).

Edited by praetarius5018

Glad the "final" version came out so that I could beat the Dragon Emperor.

Had to say it was a pleasant surprise that Death Spell was great against a certain roadblock. Unpleasantly surprised that the damn thing respawns.

On 17.9.2017 at 1:00 PM, praetarius5018 said:

I noticed while playtesting that the skip doesn't work on the third human controlled player. Otherwise the patch works absolutely great!

So just wanted to leave a comment here saying how amazing this mod is! Been playing it with my little sister for the past couple days and it makes the game much much more interesting. :D Especially love the spell changes and the increased boss AI because lets be honest some vanilla bosses were a bit retarded XD.

Mark me down as another fan of the mod. I've been doing a weekly stream with a friend (I'm Light Hawk, he's Light Duran, Dark Carlie's our third) on Normal difficulty. I feel like the default is a little bit absurd, but that's what the other patches are for, so thanks for those.

I never actually finished the original (and my stream partner never played it), but so far no boss has wiped us more than once. Jewel Eater wiped us, which we fixed by getting a few levels (we were behind the curve anyway) and swapping to MDef gear, and Bill & Ben killed us, which... we haven't gotten past yet because it was time to end the stream. Genova and Tzenker were pretty close fights, but we got through on our first attempt.

I think our most likely issues throughout the playthrough are going to come down to being underlevelled and not having enough items, and that's just because we tend to get impatient. I normally dislike equipment juggling in a game, but so far I'm generally pretty pleased with its use here - the only issue I have is dealing with the Storage system, and that's just SD3's clunkiness, no fault of the mod.