praetarius5018

Seiken Densetsu 3 Sin of Mana - Discussion

971 posts in this topic

Well, I did it.

Spoiler

I defeated Black Rabite and Archdemon on Hard:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4thl6bo0tyfqjtr/Black Rabite dead on Hard.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta1p4tcx593ab4g/Archdemon defeated on Hard.png?dl=0

As for other bosses, would you have some tips against Fiegmund and Xan Bie? Against Fiegmund, I had to use loads of Angel's Grails and other heal items because the constantly draining HP was seriously killing everyone. Against Xan Bie, I had to switch to Easy, and even then, I needed 2 tries, and it took me half an hour to kill him, since I couldn't find any good ways to damage him. I was able to eliminate his fire nest quickly, but the actual boss just refused to take much damage from anything. It doesn't help how there's no save point near him.

as the saying goes:
"pic or it didn't happen, pic and it was photoshopped" - congratz :)

Spoiler

nothing really specific

Fiegmund:
try more offensivee gear, his regular attacks shouldn't hit too hard compared to other GBs, main source of damage is the dot which cares nothing about defense.
The longer the fight goes the more it gets in his favor.
Use spells, spell-like items or lv2/3 techs via aura wave while he stalls from under the platform.
Preferably dark elemental.

Also avoid "small" heals, the dot ticks on in the background.
You might want a dedicated healer with several heal boosting items - the kind that boosts candy from 100 to 400 heals but something with multitarget that isn't a < 100 HP seed.

Xan Bie:
the stove takes more magic damage, the head is the opposite. Ice element is best either way.
The fireplace HAS to go first else the head heals to full with every lava dive.
Don't bother with anti-magic on him to make him hit himself instead of healing with the lava dives, he resets his absorption each time.
Also do not overlevel against him, one of his attacks gets stronger the higher you are.
If you have it use life booster, obviously.
Fire resistance should go without saying.
Also bring a good stock of ice sabers/claws, he'll overwrite it with fire saber time to time.
Xan Bie has the lowest difficulty scaling of all bosses; I think it is about x6 between lowest and hardest usually, for Xan it is more about x1.5ish, maybe x2?
If you fight him early, you should be able with mind up+down to push his defense ignoring move below 100 damage; his maxHP damage cannot go below 100 maxHP.
You'd be barely safe there.
If all else fails wait for Protect Armor (survive with 1 HP at cost of MP) and throw around walnuts while keeping HP at 100.

Thank you Praetarius5018 for the mod AND the terrific documentation. My question for you is:

Does Mind Up increase atk power for

Spoiler

the Ghost Ship weapons that use Pie and Int to calculate atk pwr for Duran and Hawk respectively?

If so I want to try them on a Duran and Hawk light path build.

No, they don't actually change the stat, just the the relevant numerical output. For Mind Up, that's magic damage taken, dealt, and healed. Even if your weapon uses Int, it's still increased by Power Up.

Edited by Valenhil

Well personnaly I'm stuck reaching the Sub-Zero Field and I just can't make any progress cause :

-Ennemy one or two shot my characters, I have to heal any damage because sometime bullshit happen and for some reason character get hit multiple time light speed (so fast in fact that sometime the game take account the damage while I am in the menu -_-), and Protect Up doesn't really help
-Heal Light sucks right now compare to healing item due to the castime Carlie can get killed while casting it, and by the time she cast it who know if my other character would still be alive (cause Evasion is just not reliable and not to mention ennemy spells that are just not avoidable (as well as ennemies sometime cast spells 2 time in a row without me being able to do anything)) so YEAH Healing Items are definitly the key to survive but....
-I'm almost running out of them, and have no more money, and ennemies gives almost no money at all, and selling stuff give you nothing

So yeah I think I'm screwed and wonder if I should just restart a new game, right now the only thing I can really do is grinding, definitly not sure that would help tough.

On 12.10.2017 at 9:35 PM, Nesouk said:

Items are definitly the key to survive but....

-I'm almost running out of them, and have no more money, and ennemies gives almost no money at all, and selling stuff give you nothing

So yeah I think I'm screwed and wonder if I should just restart a new game, right now the only thing I can really do is grinding, definitly not sure that would help tough.

This is what I was the most worried about trying a game on Hard, getting an unwinnable "soft game over" by running out of healing items and money to buy healing items. Try farming for gold in the previous areas, such as Maia's Golden Road and Palo's Path to Heaven. Have you tried the farming method with 6 Beastman Collars that was proposed before? If I remember correctly, the Desert of the Scorching Heat had easier fights than the Sub-Zero Snowfields, so you may want to level up there. You should be around level 32-35 for the Snowfields. If everything else fails, try reducing the game's difficulty level until you're able to advance. I'd say it's still a better choice than giving up and restarting, since this is your first playthrough and you're still not far enough to have learned all the battle strategies that this hack requires.

Praetarius: thanks for the battle tips!

Spoiler

I was able to defeat Fiegmund and Xan Bie without ripping my hair out this time. :D Against Fiegmund, having Lise with heal-boosting equipment was the key to victory, while Angela and Hawk kept constantly casting Dark Force and Crescent. As for Xan Bie, my problem was never taking too much damage, but doing too little damage. Buying several Poseidon's Claws helped a ton, as it seemed like he was weak against Ice-powered physical attacks. Rogue's Axe Bomber did plenty of damage too with the help of Ice Saber.

not even 2 weeks without a new patch despite me being "done", :$

v1.035

• excluded a few cinematic and boss death animations from being skippable via optional patch
  • fixed light-Angela having wrong weakness to fire instead of ice
  • fixed bug that made spell power armor not turn spells non elemental
  • replaced "magic up" with "increases generic magic and damage item power" in documentation for greater clarity

Enjoying this mod on "normal" mode. Using Lise, Duran, Hawk and going Fenrir Knight, Paladin/Lord, Rogue. Currently at Bucca Bucca.

On 14/10/2017 at 2:33 AM, Serafie1999AD said:

This is what I was the most worried about trying a game on Hard, getting an unwinnable "soft game over" by running out of healing items and money to buy healing items. Try farming for gold in the previous areas, such as Maia's Golden Road and Palo's Path to Heaven. Have you tried the farming method with 6 Beastman Collars that was proposed before? If I remember correctly, the Desert of the Scorching Heat had easier fights than the Sub-Zero Snowfields, so you may want to level up there. You should be around level 32-35 for the Snowfields. If everything else fails, try reducing the game's difficulty level until you're able to advance. I'd say it's still a better choice than giving up and restarting, since this is your first playthrough and you're still not far enough to have learned all the battle strategies that this hack requires.

Well I tried and currently grinding money cause yeah Golden Road from Maïa to Byzel gives around 2000 Luc with 6 Beastman's Collar so that works and I sometimes fight Ogre Box they scales with your Level and so gives 2100-2200 EXP when I defeat one so why not currently LV34 with everyone gonne farm some more and then give another shot to sub-zero fields.

7 minutes ago, praetarius5018 said:

You should maybe farm the lone enemy south of the snow town to get enough ??? seeds for the class change.

I did this on "normal" just to get up to where I could deal with the rest of sub zero fields. Race to the Golden  Goddess fighting only the forced encounters. Just make sure you don't get sniped running through the Sub-Zero boards.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I meant the first screen south of that town that has an enemy; that way you only have to fight one enemy per chest (actual rate depending on difficulty) instead of 3-6 enemies for one chest.

Also, are those quotes supposed to be empty or does something not load on my side?

I couldn't remove the spoiler fields on my phone. I was also referring to the lone enemy. I used him to gain experience and $ and made a beeline to the next statue. I didn't check the monster drop table to see if they drop ???. If it does, I'll revisit. With death penalty (which I absolutely love as a mechanic), I don't casually level up on my way to a boss in case I lose Hawk a couple times and have to run back to an inn.

You could use one of the demon statues that some bosses add to your item storage to remove the penalty.

Speaking of which, Nesouk, if you still have those, you can sell them for 2k each.

Edited by praetarius5018

8 minutes ago, praetarius5018 said:

You could use one of the demon statues that some bosses add to your item storage to remove the penalty.

Speaking of which, Nesouk, if you still have those, you can sell them for 2k each.

I have 2 of these left but considering their rarety, the fact I play on Hard and on Hard sometimes the random ennemy pull some bullshit that may kill one of your character in a mere second (plus the fact that the AI isn't really good at survive especially Hawk if I don't directly control him he dies way to often) and the death penalty is really bad for boss fight so I'd rather keep these Demon Statue just in case.

This is a great re-imagining of the original game. Sometimes it reminds me a bit of Dark Souls. I'm at the point where I'm just stacking TP gain and and Tech damage. The early-game chest pieces got me all the way to the HP boost/Thorn tier armors. I was surprised at how effective the thorn armor was. I use save states to try all of the things and then settle on 1 certain piece per character per slot (until Luc becomes more disposable) . I haven't intentionally utilized the L1 counter tech strat much because I peg my tech bar so fast. I've read up on the aggro system and I'm wondering if it will be something I will need to implement later, or if blowing up bosses with debuffs, traps and L2/3 techs  will continue to be a relevant strat. Resetting boss aggro with counters seems like a great mechanic. I'm sure I'll need to be more creative once I attempt the harder difficulties. Currently at Mintos.

PSA: FUCK DOLAN 

I dunno why we're having so much trouble with this dude. Probably I am drinking too much when I play this game. I think we're on to the 'strategy' but it just seems to take forever to whittle him down. One mistake and we're done, LOL. Again, this is awesome.

Has us thinking of wimping out of the moonreading tower for now, but then we realized we only have lightgazer left after that so it's kinda like ehhhhh. Level 69 and having trouble with the regular enemies too, so maybe we're underleveled. Gonna keep working it.

PS, cheers for hitting the v1.0 milestone. Will enjoy a Duran run... one of these days

Edited by Kanji

If you want some Dolan cheese

Spoiler

and have beaten at least 3 GBs, visit Byzel, there's a new armor shop.
I'll let you fill in the missing piece.

How do Elements on weapons work with different sources?

Afair you can only have one saber effect on a character active and new ones override older ones.

How does this work with the accessoires that grant saber-like effects, e.g. Gyralhorn or Steel Gauntlet?

Like what happens if I equip a Steel Gauntlet in one slot and a Snow Crystal in the other one?

Do they stack and my Attack Element is now Fire/Ice, or does one supercede the other?

If they stack, would a saber spell now override my Fire/Ice element, or add another one to the list?

Edited by saryakan

We had a bit of a permanent snowman problem in the Labyrinth of Ice Walls. Duran got Snowmanned by something, Frost Dragon I think, and we killed the rest of the enemies on the screen with him basically acting as a barrier between Hawk and Carlie and the other enemies. He did not de-snowman. We went into the next room, with a Grell Mage. He did not de-snowman. We tried Puipui Grass, Tinkle Rain, Stardust Herb (at this point, why not), and even a Magical Rope. The snowman didn't clear until we got on Flammie.

We're running the Normal difficulty patch and no optional patches other than that.

Edited by Thexare