praetarius5018

Seiken Densetsu 3 Sin of Mana - Discussion

971 posts in this topic

I also had problems with the permanent Snowman bug when I played the Labyrinth of the Ice Walls over a month ago:

I've now had to restart the Labyrinth of the Ice Walls 4 times in a row. Once because of dying just a couple of screens before the save point, and 3 times I've had to restart because of an incurable Snowman bug. Occasionally if a character is turned into a Snowman at the end of a battle, the status becomes unhealable. Tinkle Rain won't heal it, neither will moving to another screen, or even touching a Gold Statue.

If you want to reproduce the bug, try winning a battle at the moment when an enemy is using an ice breath animation (it's not a spell since it doesn't pause the game) to inflict Snowman status on your characters.

I've experienced similar results with the petrify status. Maybe it has to do with status effects in general. I have also experienced some graphical glitching in path to the heavens and the area that you find salamando. Not quite sure what is triggering it but it seems to be certain tech/magic animations. Once the glitching is triggered, it only resets if I save at a Goddess and reset or return to a previous save. Hope that you find this somewhat productive, Praetarius.

Sorry, I'm not interested in hunting down vanilla bugs.

That graphic glitch is already known, it is caused by "something" that occurs over long playtime (save and load via savestates does not help in case you use that), especially spell animations - which will happen more often compared to vanilla.
Ingame reload is the only cure for that.
Or rather call yourself happy; that same thing can cause lockups and worse stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if the snowman thing is related to that as well.

Edited by praetarius5018

So should I not use states at all? In certain areas even if I save at a goddess and then restart, I still encounter the graphic glitch. I only use save states to try multiple shop items that I cant afford all at once and also before bosses. 

Think of savestates like a timemachine; everything that happened between save and a later load did not happen.
That bug I mean occurs after several hours in the same play session. In one of my cases it took 8-10 hours before it became easily visible.

If you save ingame and then load ingame you start a new session.

If you make a savestate, switch your emulator off, return later and reload your savestate to continue where you left off then you continue your old session.

What can happen?
more frequent slow downs
palette mishaps
monster AI disappearing (they become dummies, but also immortal sometimes)
random game reset
left over sprites from stuff that is long dead; like half od Dolan's arm sticking around
spell animations running into an infinite loop
...this
Seiken Densetsu 3 (J)_sinofmana011.png

I recall reading an article once about a bug with spell animations with similar results (real hardware crashing) being a supposed reason why we never got an english version.

v1.042

• high AGL reduces weapon cooldown
  • added effect to headgear tier helms to reduce weapon cooldown
  • added effect to hero's crown tier helms to resist death effects
  • added cap of 320 damage (400 with day bonus) for fraction damage spells like Half Vanish, Slime Prince special, etc.
  • change a few regular enemies to resist snowman status effect
  • fixed defense stats on Wind Demon Mail and Silverwolf Pelt
  • corrected displayed name for Dark Lich's Anti Magic

AGL from 19 to 30 reduce weapon delay by 1-12  so 1 point per point over 18 ;)
and its halved for hawk and kevin for obvious reasons

Edited by LittleBigTrouble

Thanks for that. The ingame description threw me off a bit - I guess  i was just expecting "casts anti-magic".

Edited by sid

Thinking of giving this mod a shot. But before that tho, this is the SD3 JP with english patches right? So I should patch a clean ROM first then add the English patch, etc., etc.?

If you want to use one, a translation patch must be patched before this mod.
Most use an english one, I develop on JP (not that I understand anything there) - no problems there for the most part.
Then make sure your rom is unheadered (e.g. via SNESUtils) and then apply this mod.
Next you can add one of the difficulty modifiers from the sub folder, the default patch is set to hard.
Afterwards there are some minor bonus patches included in the misc_patches folder you can apply as well if you want, though there's no "undo" option for those, so keep a backup in case you find you dislike those extras.

OK cool, just patched the game, now what are the misc patches for? Some are obvious but two of them not so much.

Edit: Oh never mind found it in the readme. What does PIE mean?

Edited by Cross

There's a random chance that regular enemies get replaced on spawning.
E.g. if I've placed a Molebear in a spot the game may randomly decide to give you a Poron or Myconoid instead.

That patch adds some bosses to the potential replacements, only the small ones though; huge boss sprites kill the game obviously.
They ARE scaled to the current area's level though.

I have been playing a version of the game that does not include your patches with some friends. We just beat the first god beast.  And now I discovered your amazing patches.

But I don't we dont want to replay the whole game from the start. My idea is to solo rush through to the first god beast with the wuss difficulty patch and then switch to a more demanding difficulty patch to continue with my friends.

Am I likely to encounter any problems with the safe files or other issues if I switch the difficulty mid playthrough?

On 12/1/2017 at 6:10 PM, praetarius5018 said:

There's a random chance that regular enemies get replaced on spawning.
E.g. if I've placed a Molebear in a spot the game may randomly decide to give you a Poron or Myconoid instead.

That patch adds some bosses to the potential replacements, only the small ones though; huge boss sprites kill the game obviously.
They ARE scaled to the current area's level though.

Ahh I see. Should have some text in the readme for that tho, the current one just doesn't describe the patch in detail.

1 hour ago, pfanne said:

I have been playing a version of the game that does not include your patches with some friends. We just beat the first god beast.  And now I discovered your amazing patches.

But I don't we dont want to replay the whole game from the start. My idea is to solo rush through to the first god beast with the wuss difficulty patch and then switch to a more demanding difficulty patch to continue with my friends.

Am I likely to encounter any problems with the safe files or other issues if I switch the difficulty mid playthrough?

No, the difficulties are just an additional modifier applied after everything. You can switch between them at your leisure.

3 hours ago, pfanne said:

That is no problem, but you may have problems as a player since the patch has to change a few controls and expands what you can do in battle, e.g. run.
When you start in the middle you basically skip all the "tutorial" time (this game has no explicit tutorial) you would have to get used to those changes.