praetarius5018

Seiken Densetsu 3 Sin of Mana - Discussion

971 posts in this topic

I'm level 84, mobs are level 70 (5 god beasts down). Meaning Xan Bie and Landumber are level 72?

Edited by Awkward

First thing, I love all the bug fixes. I've played SD3 so many times, and I was amazed to see critical hits the first time. xD I have a couple gripes with this patch though, but my biggest one is Carlie.  I picked her for this play through with the sole job as a healer/support and intended to put her on the path to become a bishop. I feel the patch made her useless. She lost her heal light for her base, and with holy ball as a replacement, she's pretty much an offense spell caster that I can only use for bosses.  When I finally got heal light on the light path, I found out it costs 9MP! At lvl 20, she has only 12MP available. After casting it once, her support role is null, and I have to use a walnut after each cast to keep her relevant. Keep in mind I've been increasing intelligent and spirit in an attempt to buff up her support role. I'm playing this with easy difficulty, as I just want a casual vanilla play.  I understand that her base does not have heal light so her dark class does not have it, but her role in the game is mainly a support character. If someone wants an offensive spell caster, that's what Angela is for.

Edited by mugenbb6

You get full MP on victory, and regenerating MP during battle - trust me, you can use it a lot more than it seems to.

And pre class change noone is not really supposed to have much in the way of spell casting. You're mainly supposed to "learn" regular combat.

As for who is and isn't a support class - that depends on you; basically everyone learns spells that fit that criteria.

27 minutes ago, praetarius5018 said:

You get full MP on victory, and regenerating MP during battle - trust me, you can use it a lot more than it seems to.

You are correct. For battling through the dungeons, this works out great. Boss fights is what makes it particularly frustrating. Maybe I'm doing it the wrong way. Thank goodness for the 20 per item cap increase. Without that, I would've gotten steam rolled by the bosses, due to the expensive heal light.

Edited by mugenbb6

Has anyone found use for Light Carlie (Bishop/Sage) or Grand Divina yet? I'd like to hear party combinations where those 3 classes work effectively with the other characters.

On 12/19/2017 at 10:59 AM, mugenbb6 said:

You are correct. For battling through the dungeons, this works out great. Boss fights is what makes it particularly frustrating. Maybe I'm doing it the wrong way. Thank goodness for the 20 per item cap increase. Without that, I would've gotten steam rolled by the bosses, due to the expensive heal light.

So I've been doing it wrong. Didn't realize mp regenerates, but with the low mp cap and slow mp regen, that means I'm throttled. :(

On 12/15/2017 at 5:19 AM, Awkward said:

Xan Bie's heat beam and Landumber's crashball deals 999 damage. Is that supposed to happen?

I have the same problem. I also get into an endless gigaburn loop.

2 hours ago, mugenbb6 said:

So I've been doing it wrong. Didn't realize mp regenerates, but with the low mp cap and slow mp regen, that means I'm throttled. :(

There's leaf saber - which recovers 1+ MP per hit - , a weapon has that as innate effect or an accessoire for the same.
Or an accessoire that allows to pay in HP instead.

2 hours ago, mugenbb6 said:

I also get into an endless gigaburn loop.

Care to elaborate?
If it is an animation that doesn't end, there's an unfixable bug with the game if it has been relatively long since you re-loaded your save file (savestates do NOT count!!!!) which has all kinds of weird effects....
I repeat this line like every page in this thread....

36 minutes ago, praetarius5018 said:

Care to elaborate?
If it is an animation that doesn't end, there's an unfixable bug with the game if it has been relatively long since you re-loaded your save file (savestates do NOT count!!!!) which has all kinds of weird effects....
I repeat this line like every page in this thread....

It's not an animation that doesn't end. It constantly recasts with a second between each, just enough time to use an item. I don't use savestates. It could be that unfixable bug as I've been playing for a couple hours straight. I restarted the game via retroarch, and it didn't happen again. Really wierd.

BTW, are the god beasts intentionally made uber difficult compared to vanilla? I'm just playing on easy, and feel they're insanely op. Maybe I should go down to wuss. :/

Depends what kind of trouble they give specifically.
Each godbeast is numerically weaker than most regular bosses of their level would be.
Though each has a trick (or fifty) to them that more than makes up for that.

If Duran equips two shields... does he get twice as much hate? Or is the extra threat only counted once?

Awesome progress by the way, loving the hack and all the options you give the players.

How necessary is Anti-Magic in the latest version? In some of the earlier versions (around v0.5), it was practically compulsory, as Specter's Eyes cost way too much in the Black Market, some enemies were immune to physical attacks, and some bosses were just almost impossible to damage without Anti-Magic

Spoiler

(such as Lugar being immune to physical attacks and countering every spell with techs).

In the latest versions, though, there are weapons that bypass the physical immunity, the hate mechanics work in a different manner, and the boss designs have been completely changed. Praetarius, would you have a list of bosses where Anti-Magic is needed, so I can consider if it's worth it having a party without Anti-Magic, the answer depending on how many Specter's Eyes I need to buy/farm?

More or less the same as before.
Only major change that you should be able to get some from enemies' rare drops (e.g. from Boulder, Evil Shaman).
On most physical resistant regular enemies you should be able to just ignore them, for everything else there's damage spells.

just for damage:

Spoiler
  • Lugar - only 50% physical immune, so Anti-Magic halves time needed to win
  • Landumber - physical immune and reflects his own weakness; imo the only one where Anti-Magic is a strict requirement because of his timelimit

other effects:

Spoiler
  • Lightgazer - so you can hit him with a heal nerf of your own
  • Heath - same as Lightgazer, maybe add poison for best effect (yes, standard status effects do work on some bosses here, 4 to be exact, he is one, and the combo with anti-magic is hilarious)
  • several bosses - cancel saber absorption/reflection of the element they cast on you

often mistaken for physical immune but aren't:

Spoiler
  • Zable's right head
  • Darkshine Knight - spoiler: magic isn't the solution here

On 12/26/2017 at 4:05 AM, Serafie1999AD said:

Has anyone found use for Light Carlie (Bishop/Sage) or Grand Divina yet? I'd like to hear party combinations where those 3 classes work effectively with the other characters.

:P  omg

Seiken Densetsu 3 (Japan) [En by LNF+Neill Corlett+SoM2Freak v1.01].000.png

I had a quick look through the discussion and i saw something about counters being changed.    what is that?   we have a new counterattack mechanic now?

There are even two "counter" mechanics.

1) The retaliation spell enemies/bosses had; from vanilla: usually when you hit an enemy's weakness via spell or any Lv2/3 tech at all they'd "counter" with a strong attack of their own.
This has been changed to an incremental built up (let's call it aggro) instead of a 1:1 trade but now also includes normal hits and Lv1 techs; "weaker" types (normal hit, lv1 tech) take longer until they trigger a reaction than stronger types (lv2/3 tech, spells).

2) Completely new, a counter attack by the player;
if you hit an enemy with a lv1 tech during their attack animation or shortly after (I think up to 3 secs after), you deal increased damage (how much more depends largely on weapon and to a minor degree on enemy type) and reset the aggro of enemy's counter.
Certain weapons or accessoires give additional benefits to this, like permanently reducing defense (stackable even) or healing the party.

21 hours ago, Caliber70 said:

:P  omg

Seiken Densetsu 3 (Japan) [En by LNF+Neill Corlett+SoM2Freak v1.01].000.png

Death Hand, Duelist and Bishop? It sounds like there's quite a lot of redundancy with the Sabers. I'd probably have used Dervish instead, to get Protect Down and Speed Down. Protect Up and Magic Shield as your only buffs, too. Tell me, on which difficulty did you play, and how was it to play with such limited buffs/debuffs, and next to no elemental spells?

6 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

2) Completely new, a counter attack by the player;

if you hit an enemy with a lv1 tech during their attack animation or shortly after (I think up to 3 secs after), you deal increased damage (how much more depends largely on weapon and to a minor degree on enemy type) and reset the aggro of enemy's counter.
Certain weapons or accessoires give additional benefits to this, like permanently reducing defense (stackable even) or healing the party.

I have two questions about this counter mechanic:
1) can you counter enemy spells and techs too, not just physical attacks?
2) can you counter non-sprite bosses too (e.g. Full Metal Hagger, GBs, final bosses)?

it was normal.   Carly heals, and both fighters crush everything with power and lvl 3 techs.  I have overwritten that save so i cannot test that team on a higher difficulty setting now but i might do that again at a later time.  nonetheless fun to crush everything on the screen with lvl 3 tech spam.

7 hours ago, Serafie1999AD said:

I have two questions about this counter mechanic:

1) can you counter enemy spells and techs too, not just physical attacks?
2) can you counter non-sprite bosses too (e.g. Full Metal Hagger, GBs, final bosses)?

yes to both