praetarius5018

Seiken Densetsu 3 Sin of Mana - Discussion

971 posts in this topic

They stack multiplicatively BUT you can only get one case of weakness and one case of resistance.

So if the target resists all four elements it deals the same damage as if it resists only one element.

So one quick question, because I've yet to try these: do SPI and INT weapons hit against magical or physical defense? This could be a way around monsters with high physical defense, especially for characters like Hawk who's magic hits against physical defense.

They are still physical.
To deal more damage to physical resistant enemies you may want the weapons with "ignore physical resistance/immunity" effect.

Ok after more than a year I decided to finally continue my playthrough of this mod, so previously I was stuck on Sub-Zero Fields couldn't make any progress there, so I follow Serafie's tip and tried the Desert area, effectivly mobs are easier there (except this goddamn Cockabird and their petrification fuck them), so manage to make my way through Bill and Ben were ridiculous Earth Jutsu and Speed Up on everyone does make dodge their regular attack occur more often but they still does crap ton of damage, if they decide to spam Thunder Jutsu or their Special Physical attaque well no way to win, so yeah RNG fight basically and when they split the fight became impossible, but throwable item exist so manage to kill one of them with this and kill the last one normally. Valley of Flame's ennemies are much stronger but thankfully no boss fight in this dungeon, so I got the Fire Spirit, guess the abilities he grant will be usefull for later. Since I'm LV37 I might grind to LV38 and get the second class now.

EDIT : Well got the second class change so I will go with Ninja Master, Bishop and Star Lancer. Don't know if that will do I will see.

Machine Golem 2

Goddamn these freaking Golem good thing I could reduce their Magic and Accuracy with Hawk, buff speed, strength and Defense with Lise and apply Thunder Saber with Carlie (which after that just spam Holy Ball), these guys do love to spam their spell and almost always crit, thankfully my team tank better now so by keep an eye on the HP I can handle their damage, Hawk being the main Damage Dealer so yeah pretty intense fight.

EDIT 2 : Well I guess this is finally becoming a little more manageable, now that Lise and Hawk can AoE I can properly use debuff and buffs a lot easier which help a lot, also Lise's summon Mandruke is quite good for Mob Fight, Carlie with the saber can contribute and Holy Ball and Saint Beam aren't bad for damage. Now I think I'm gonna focus on Critical with Hawk got the Elf Dagger that increase Crit Rate and Crit Damage, he learned Detect which allow to crit more (sadly One Target still good for bosses) and Lise just learn Energy Ball. 

Lugar

So just beat Lugar, he hit like a truck fortunatly Water Jutsu (Attack Down), Shuriken (Hit Rate Down), Protect and Speed Up help survive he is insanely resistant to physical tough (even with Power Up and Thunder Jutsu) but magic work well so Carlie's spell and Lise's summon does good damage (especially after Mind Up).

Gildervine

Welp Gildervine down, honnestly that was kind of a relaxing fight after the three previous bosses, doesn't mean that's a walk in the park tough, the first phase is the hardest because of his minions they are way more troublesome than he is, Sleep and Poison makes things harder, the second phase is easier cause we have only one ennemy to look out for, his damage output is not very high (statut ailment are his main offensive here), so a good amount of Puipui Grass and Tinkle Rain really help in this fight.

So basically since he is a plant, I theorize he would be weak to Fire, and I think I was right so Flame Saber (from Carlie), Power Up (from Lise), Energy Ball on Hawk, Thunder Jutsu to reduce Defense, Detect to make it more vulnerable to Crit and Hawk does wonderfull damage here (and Lise does good to). 
To tank him I put Protect Up, Speed Up and Reduce his Magic with Fire Jutsu (I didn't use Water Jutsu maybe I was wrong but since he is a plant I thought Water Jutsu wouldn't work), so for the First phase I buff myself and debuff him, with Hawk I focus on the boss (except when using Justus) while Carlie does the AoE with Holy Ball (I prefer Holy Ball to Saint Beam cause Holy Ball's cast time is way faster and it can be AoE) if she has the MP for it Lise's Madruke can be good here to, once we hit the second phase no more mobs and he put counter Magic so I focus on healing with Carlie and keep attacking physically with Lise and Hawk.

Edited by Nesouk

So I have just defeated my first God Beast Mispolm but I got some question (gonna put on spoiler in case it reveals some intended mechanic for this boss) :

Spoiler

So gotta admit at first I didn't see how to defeat that boss, he was spamming statut effect, his Pumpkin Bomb was dealing 999 damage if the target had a statut Ailment which I assume is intended, but more importantly he was reflecting my Physical Damage and even with Anti-Magic (through Specter Eye) Magic was doing shit against him.
So I really didn't see how to beat him until Lise (who was control by the IA) at one point use her LV2 Tech and the boss took around 1450 from it (999 + 450), so naturally after seeing that I put Aura Wave on Lise to bouild tech point faster and spam the LV2 Tech, then Carlie somehow get to use her LV3 tech which did the same thing (999 + 450), so is he intended to be defeated by LV2/3 tech or was that a glitch ? And if it's intended should I assume every God Beasts will have a similar mechanic.

Edited by Nesouk

1 hour ago, Nesouk said:

So I have just defeated my first God Beast Mispolm but I got some question (gonna put on spoiler in case it reveals some intended mechanic for this boss) :

Yes, all of that is intended.

Spoiler

Post mana sword most bosses have at least one minor gimmick to them beyond being just a pile of stats. Though all of those are "solvable" with tools that every team composition has available.

Spoiler

Ok that's good to know, one other question since this is my first time playing this game, the Faerie mention that the other God-Beast grow stronger so I assume that mean each time I defeat one the remaining will be stronger, so should I fight them in a particular order or I can do however I wish ?

That is still the same as in vanilla;
each time you beat any godbeast the remaining godbeasts and their minions gain ~3 levels (2 in vanilla),
order doesn't really matter, it is up to preference.

Well, except for a few screens in the earth god beasts area - that is frozen at minimum level: map data has not enough space to hold the updated levels

In vanilla you could delay certain godbeasts for later to gain 2nd class change and maybe a few of the new spells (if you were willing to grind), e.g. if you had dark Angela as she only has Lv1 spells and dark force before that but could gain Lv2-3 spells afterward.

But you should have every spell here by the time you reach the first godbeast.

I'd advise you to check if any one of the god beast areas looks like a good/comfortable exp grind spot in case you need it later and keep that boss for last;
when you beat a godbeast all mobs of that area stay gone.

Also if you need money, the wind godbeast gives the most gold but least exp out of the pack.

Well I got to the Moon God Beast got totally reckt, I figure his mechanic but don't have the tool to counter it, I need money so following your advice I got fight the Wind one and.... :

Spoiler

Ok honnestly I didn't understand this fight, basically by testing Marduke on him I found out he could be silenced, so that's great but after putting silence he just fly around and does some physical attacks and then does absolutly nothing until the screen change, once the screen change happen same deal he does some spells, I put silence with Marduke, then he fly around and does some physical attack then does nothing for a good 10 minutes until another screen change.... so YEAH since he does nothing for 80% of the fight he is very easy, the only hard part is the fourth and last screen change when he instanstly cast Thunder Saber following up by a Stun Wind which hit like a truck, but if you survive that the fight is basically won at this point. 
The good point is exploiting this I was able to beat with 6 Beastman Collars equip so that's 40000 Luc, but is it how he is suppose to be beaten ?

Spoiler

That's more of an easter egg.
And I think you're the first to find or at least report finding it.

Back then I tried to find a way to make status effects useable against bosses since at that time they were mostly only useful against the player.
Turned out most boss AI doesn't handle status effects well.
Ever tried poison against Lugar? He'll literally spam Lv3 techs without break.
Fiegmund just ignores being put to sleep.
Mute was useless on most bosses as well.
and so on.

Spoiler

No I was assuming that outside stats reduction boss were immune to statut effects so I didn't try poison ^^, originally I casted Marduke just because his damage are pretty good I wasn't thinking Silence would work even less that it will kind of break his IA ^^, I guess that's one kind of easy way to beat him, gonna try defeat him normally tough.

OK beat the Wind God Beast legit this time.... goddamn took me 42 minutes to beat this fucker, he wasn't even that hard (except the last phase cause I forgot to put a Specter's Eye in my inventory to dispell his Thunder Saber), he just won't die cause for some reason 75% of the time my party member weren't attacking him for I don't know what reason (and his high evasion), and I had to took control of Carlie (or Hawk when Carlie was full on MP) most of the time as I was using her as my main healer (this fight is just to long to rely on items) with Heal Light (improve by her weapon) and using the Ring that allow her to steal MP (combine with Magic Shield) to be able to cast as soon as needed so I need to attack with her (and as I mention for some reason the IA wasn't attacking most of the time), so Yeah that was kind of a war of attrition. And I did him as the second God Beast, I don't even want to imagine how much time it would have take if I had fight him later.

Edited by Nesouk

Dangaard has the "nice" property that he basically moves within 1-2 pixel of your max range but just 1-2 pixel outside of AI pathfinding.
That's nothing I can fix.

Ok got it, now I'm on the next one Dolan and in all seriously I haven't a single clue as how to beat this boss :

Spoiler

I get that is spiral Moon reduce max HP and then if you don't get rid of it the Spiral Moon will wipe you, at first I thought that wearing the armors that invert Buff and Debuff would counter it, but it doesn't work at all, so the only way I have to remove the HP Down is Stardust Herb, problem they also remove buff and without buff his attacks 1 or 2 shot my team even at full HP. So yeah I really don't see how I can win this fight.

EDIT : OK Correction Spiral Moon wipe you out with any debuffs on you (so that include Howl speed debuff).

Edited by Nesouk

Spoiler

Yeah I figure after 2 hours the Energy Ball that can be dispell by LV2/3 tech, still can't beat him tough even with Protect/Mind Up and Fire and Water Jutsu he still hit like a truck (over 500 damage a crit), sometime chain 2 AoE but I can't open the menu to heal between them, or happen sometimes that he cast Energy Ball, then become invincible preventing mefrom getting tech point and directly cast Spiral Moon right after is invicibility -_-

Spoiler

Set the AI partner (or at least one) to not using techs automatically, and then use them manually when you need them.

The invincibility is the guard stance where he holds up his arms?
He does that when he's taken too many "hits" (screen freezers counting for more), you could try to reset that build up by timing Lv1 techs after his attacks (counter) - or better follow the first advise and just have the AI partner hold back the techs until needed.

No idea where the 500 damage comes from.
What's your level compared to the mobs in the dungeon?

Spoiler

OK just how many HP he has?  I have fight him for over 20 minutes, uses all the healing items I had, always with Power Up and Defense Down on him and he just didn't die. At this point the problem is I can survive him but not long enough to kill him.

Mobs in the area are LV58, I am LV56.

EDIT : Well looks like my only options is to grind some levels, OH well I'm gonna go to another God Beast area to do that, the mobs in the moon tower are just the most annoying mob in the entire game so far (especially these freaking Werewolves).

Edited by Nesouk

Spoiler

Well, that. You're 3-4 levels below the boss, so that'll help a bit.

Also, do you still wear the beast colors like against Dangaard?
You should change that.

Spoiler

FINALLY beat this fucker !!! Goddamn took around 30 minutes to put him down at LV57.

I never use Beast Collars against him I took them off right after the Wind God Beast ^^, in the end I did the following :

-Buy a Hat that reduce cast time and an accessory that increase Heal Light and healing item power with Carlie (stacking with a Weapon that does the same effect Heal Light was healing for 550HP and a single Round Drop heal almost 290).
-Buy accessories that increase Strength and Magic for both Lise and Hawk so that they deal more damage.
-Use some scales I had to reduce the time for putting all buff at the beginning.

So basically my main damage dealer was Hawk with a Crit Build, Power Up, Def Down, Energy Ball and Detect he was dealing 71 per crit, I also put Aura Wave on him since his regular attack hit twice he gain 4 Tech Point so he almost always has access to his LV2/3 tech. Carlie was my main healer with items and Heal light and also using Magic Shield on her and Lise at the beginning for MP management. Lise was my buffer, I controlled her at the beginning the time Hawk set the debuffs with his jutsus and was casting Speed Up time to time (as Dolan has 2 attacks that put speed down).

Anyway 3 down 5 to go.

Edited by Nesouk

I can't believe this my emulator just glitch on me and erase all my save files, thankfully I had a save state after I defeated the Wind God Beast so I didn't lost that much progress, but that mean I have to do that shitty fight against Dolan (and the grind I had put for it) AGAIN..... I think I'm curse with this boss, out of all the bosses of this game, this had to happen on the one I dislike the most so far. I genually think I'm gonna put the game on Easy or even Wuss in order to speed up the grinding and then go back on hard to defeat him.

Edited by Nesouk

58 minutes ago, Nesouk said:

I can't believe this my emulator just glitch on me and erase all my save files

Which emulator are you using? I've never had that kind of problem since I stopped using ZSNES

Weird, maybe it was some bad interaction with something else you were running? When I had that problem it was with ZSNES netplay desyncing back in the day (we crashed during the final boss and lost the save file, kick in the balls), but I have no idea how it would happen on single player.

Spoiler

OK and now we have a glitch against Dolan that makes the fight impossible to win if it happen and it happen 2 time up to now, I set Lise to use her LV2 tech at one point she had the point to do it and obviously she was going to do it as I couldn't access her menu but she never did it and so she was completly stuck (Litterally Dolan had the time to cast Energy Ball, Half Vanish AND Spiral Moon and she didn't cast her tech), meanwhile I was controlling Hawk I was clearly landing hits but for whatever reason I wasn't gaining tech point at all (and I checked I had no equipment prenventing me for gaining tech point and I had Aura Wave on Hawk), resulting in an unavoidable wipe by Spiral Moon. 

EDIT : It's not just for Dolan Hawk is completly glitched and doesn't win tech point at all. And also when I cast Aura Wave on him the Tech point he get for instantly vanish.

EDIT : OK the glitch just correct itself after I sleeped in a Inn, so yeah weird stuff.

Edited by Nesouk

Spoiler

The thing with Lv2/3 techs is you get set in a "ready to start the tech" state but the game has to wait until the game isn't too stressed out;
like animations, regular attacks, anything that would appear as lag to us.
What goes first when the game is able to resume is more or less random, so luck wasn't on your side there.
Actually AI has the same problem.
Hawk+Kevin (or sometimes one alone is enough) can effectively prevent boss AI from acting ever by abusing certain weapon cooldown skip bugs.

Did Hawk get hit by an Arrow trap?