Sign in to follow this  
Xontract

Music Suggestions and Discussion

8 posts in this topic

"But AP, this isn't a gaming thread!"

Music is probably more important to me than my love of gaming. It's something that sticks with me even when I don't feel like gaming. No matter what mood I am in there is something I can see myself listening to.

Much like my taste in gaming, my taste in music has evolved over the years. As I was re-listening to an album I haven't listed to in a while I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to have a thread where we can post what we are listening to?" 

More than that, it is a great way to give suggestions to others so that they may take the plunge and try something they haven't before. It's a way to share a part of us, just like we share our thoughts on the various mods here. Plus this is general discussion, so...

Anyway, this is what I have for today. An album that was by far my favorite album through my late teens and early twenties. 

Tool - Lateralus holds a special place in my heart but listening to it today makes me realize just how much my taste in music has changed. This is a solid album but just doesn't inspire the awe that it used to.

It is a bit long(It's Tool, after all) and is probably their most serious album which is another reason why it has lost some favor with me.

In the end I recommend it so if you haven't listened to it check it out. I would give it somewhere around a 7.5-8/10.

Tool is great. I probably enjoyed the 10,000 Days a bit too much. Granted, it's probably the only album I've listened to as a whole. The rest of the songs I know are from different albums and haven't listened 100% to those other albums. 

I'm also starting to get into Tool's Maynard side project thing... It's got an interesting vibe.

I've also been going through a Ghost B.C. phase, and while I don't think I can recommend just one album, I'll still link one of the songs I like the most.

... or maybe two.

19 hours ago, Laith said:

Tool is great. I probably enjoyed the 10,000 Days a bit too much. Granted, it's probably the only album I've listened to as a whole. The rest of the songs I know are from different albums and haven't listened 100% to those other albums. 

I am going to re-listen to 10k days soon but without doing so my thoughts are that it isn't a bad album per se but compared to the rest of their discography it's a pretty boring album.  I guess I felt like there wasn't much new going on?  And what was there was far less interesting.  That being said, Rosetta Stoned is probably one of my top 5 favorite Tool songs. That one song "saves" the album for me.

I'm also starting to get into Tool's Maynard side project thing... It's got an interesting vibe.

I tend to like Tool and Maynard in general when he is less serious so it should come as no surprise that I am into Puscifer as well. I feel like they have already reached their peak though...but I could be wrong.

Vicarious, Jambi, and Rosetta Stoned do it for me. Sometimes The Pot and Right in Two as well (the former being the first Tool song I ever listened to), but in most cases I'm more taken in by the flow of the song and the lyrics, though I absolutely love the instrumentals of the first 3 songs I mentioned.

I am probably being a bit harsh on the album. I like some of the songs like Jambi but it's difficult when I look at Lateralus and think "That is overall on another level" and then I look at Ænima and think that its on another level above Lateralus. 

The scores here are objective and would hardly be gauged the same way by everyone but I would say 10k Days is a 6, Lateralus is an 8, and Ænima would be a 10. Give or take a .5 on each score probably, i'm not concrete on it tbh.

A score like a 6 probably doesn't seem that great, but for me it is still positive.

When I use to play ME3Coop, I would listen to this on endless loop. Perfect timing for that game.. and is what I was listening to when I soloed my first platinum run. I haven't tried it with ME4.

Can't really recommend anything outside of music for gaming. Here is my current playlist I used when I finished 1.8.4 BNW and ME4SP.

On 5/10/2017 at 5:25 PM, Xontract said:

Music is probably more important to me than my love of gaming.

Blasphemer!

... lol. The most I've done with silly songs like that is listen to 4 hours straight of this, and I wasn't even gaming. I think I was just helping a friend fix his smartphone, and we were both listening to that as background music while doing that.

While on music recommendations, this is something else I've been listening to lately (and even used it as background music for one of my 1.3 videos), which is I guess some jazz fusion progressive kind of thing... 

Spoiler