Sign in to follow this  
Jonnycbad

Questions/Remarks about BNW

5 posts in this topic

Couple of questions and comments to the devs:

1: Would it be possible in a future update to add in the more modern skill and item name translations so they're more consistent with other FF titles and not the woolseyisms from 1994? E.g. Safe=Protect, Vigor=Strength, Fight=Attack, Aqua Rake=Aqua Breath, X-Zone= Banish, Fire1/2/3=Fire/Fira/Firaga etc?

2: Why were some items added with real-world names. This sort of seems rather silly, e.g. Slim Jims and Red Bulls?

3: Certain spells were renamed but retain largely the same effects. Grand Train (mistranslation of Grand Trine) was renamed to Black Omen for example, why?

4: Additional spell cast weapons (e.g. Holy Lance) were removed from gameplay, but other powerful weapons like Ragnarok and Illumina (should be renamed Lightbringer) retain their Flare/Holy casts, why?

1. No, because spell names can only be six characters. So Protect won't fit. Firaga would fit, but it would be inconsistent with the other -aga spells. Changing Vigor and Fight are doable, but they're placed rather snugly where they are, meaning no room for easy expansion. To me, it's not worth the effort to make those changes. Aqua Rake is just something we never bothered changing, and X-Zone... never even occurred to me. I think it's fine how it is, though.
  2. Silliness is the point. The game's storyline itself is serious enough.
  3. Because it was actually GrandTrain, and BTB and I both hate camel casing (you'll notice we did away with every instance of it that we feasibly could). We decided to just rename it to something that we could space and capitalize properly.
  4. Balance reasons, and to try to differentiate weapons a little better.
Edited by Synchysi

To address the Holy Lance in particular, random spellcasts on spears would be overpowered in the context of Brave New world because random casts will also inherit the damage multiplier from jump, which in the case of spears is 2 instead of 1. This is the equivalent damage boost of a MP-fueled auto-crit from a rod, which has the downside of requiring the user (invariably a squishy) to be in the front row. The Holy and Flare casts from the Apocalypse/Illumina had to be hard-coded to ignore multipliers or else they would have been severely overpowered.

The good news is.

If you don't like the spell/weapon names etc. Use FF3usMe and change them yourself. Then create your own patch to patch over BNW when a new release comes out.

I myself dont like the numbered spells, but the 6 letter spells made me bust out the thesaurus a find new words which might be used as a spell name. I learnt a lot and it was good fun too.

To be fair, I incredibly disliked the later naming schemes.  I much preferred Illumina to Lightbringer, and the -aga spells are a goofy naming scheme that I still really don't understand.  Also, bizarre name choices like Valigarmanda similarly make no sense at all and just make me think that Square is trying hard to be cool for the sake of being cool.

Basically, we have to ask: why should something be changed?  If it's just an arbitrary reason because one person doesn't like it, that's hardly a justifiable reason - particularly when it is exactly the same in the original FF6.

Edited by Mishrak