raics

New Grub Plus

13 posts in this topic

quesadilla.png

The running stereotype about gaming enthusiasts is they aren't really putting much thought to eating healthy, surviving mostly on undisclosed amounts of cheetos, takeout pizza and cola, which firmly sorts them into either bone thin or morbidly obese category. That, of course, isn't true any more than it is, and with the rising price as well as declining food quality most gaming communities are sure to have their share of food enthusiasts or urban survival experts, capable of twisting a garden hose and a pair of moldy socks into an edible, if not tasty meal.

With accessibility to broad public in mind, it's preferable if the recipes in this thread are simple or cheap and having some pics or, even better, a video, would be more likely to get someone interested into trying your recipe but none of that is a must, post whatever you want to share but it's best if you restrict it to something you made personally or at least saw done. I'll post some recipes I had in another forum and link whatever anyone submits in the first post just in case it catches on and browsing hundreds upon hundreds of submissions becomes cumbersome.

Seafood Moussaka

Borderlands Yogurt

Tarator Soup

Uzbek Pilaf

Edited by raics

Seafood Moussaka

Ingredients:
- 5-6 big cloves of garlic
- Some parsley, basil or origano, anything you’re used to seeing on seafood.
- A bit of salt and pepper.
- Some olive oil preferably, but nothing wrong with using another kind.
- (optional) A bit of lemon peel, if you like it.
- 6-7-8 large potatoes, depends on how big your pan is.
- A few fillets of any kind of saltwater fish, hake, mackerel or whatever you can get, you can also use shrimps or squid, anything you find in the freezer really, it only affects cooking time
- (optional) A cup of white rice or any kind that cooks fast (I just like rice in this, not a must).
- An onion.
- (optional) An egg and some sour cream

1. Wash the rice

As it says, wash the rice and leave it a bit to soak, you probably want to use the long grain rice, but any kind really works, skip if you don’t want to use rice.
IMG_20160219_155932.jpg

2. Prepare the sauce

Finely chop the garlic or use a press, add herb(s) of choice, salt, pepper, lemon peel, olive oil and set aside.
IMG_20160219_154909.jpg

3. Boil the potatoes

until you can stick a toothpick or a fork in them somewhat easily. You ideally don’t want to cook them fully so they don’t fall apart while cutting and they finish the cooking in the oven anyway, but it’s no disaster if you do overcook them a bit, just use a sharper knife later on.
IMG_20160219_155131.jpg

4. Cut the onion

into thin slices or rings.
IMG_20160219_160750.jpg

5. Peel the potatoes and cut them

into thick slices, oil the pan a bit and cover the bottom with half the potatoes.
IMG_20160219_161723.jpg

6. Drain the rice

and spread it over the bottom potato layer along with half the onion, then sprinkle everything with half of the sauce.
IMG_20160219_162217.jpg

7. Spread the seafood

and the rest of the onions, use the rest of the sauce to season the fish chunks.
IMG_20160219_162809.jpg

8. Cover everything

with the second layer of potatoes and sprinkle with half the glass of water, milk or yogurt. Usually you would beat up an egg, add some sour cream to it and spread over the whole thing  but you don’t really have to if it’s too much of a hassle.
IMG_20160219_164052.jpg

9. Bake

on 180°C (360°F) for around 20-30 minutes depending on what kind of seafood you used (and was it frozen or not). Fish halves will take longer than fillets and shrimps will take less to cook.
IMG_20160219_175240.jpg

Edited by raics

IMG_0071.JPG

Vegetable stir-fry with extra Monsantos and chemtrails. Can post the (rather simple) recipe if anyone thinks it looks tasty.

I cook every day. I'm bad with recipes, though. I should more often write down what I do when I make mad creations in the kitchen.

Borderlands Yogurt

An obscure drink found in (to my knowledge) only a tiny and sparsely populated region in Central Balkans, it is rarely made today because of very involved preparation process so to find the recipe you have to find an old granny that still remembers it because it's unlikely she passed it onto her daughters and granddaughters. The original recipe came from my great-grandmother but it was never passed on fully so I had to reconstruct it from fragments, however, we won't use that here because it's way too time consuming, we will cheat a bit to make the process more suited for today's style of living but the taste is 95% identical.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 of a large cup (0,33l) of coarse white maize flour (might be real easy or real hard to find, depends where you live)
  • 2 large cups of water
  • 1,5l of whole full fat milk (even better raw milk if you can get it)
  • two table spoons of active yogurt (preferably kefir as the taste is similar)

1. Dilute the flour

in two cups of water and leave it covered overnight.

IMG_20180429_121927.jpg

2. Cook the mixture

until it thickens into a porridge of sorts, roughly 15 minutes, it burns easily so stir vigorously.

IMG_20180429_221850.jpg

3. Add milk

but very, very slowly. As it's likely cold and the mixture is hot it will clump instantly, stir hard and add it in a small trickle at first. Once it has cooled down a bit you can pour faster, add about half of the milk.

4. Heat it up again

until it boils, with an occasional stir. Add the remaining milk and bring it to a boil again.

5. Wait until it cools down

to a bit above your body temperature and the skin forms on top, it can't be too hot or the bacteria will die. Stir the yogurt in but be careful not to disturb the skin too much or it will partially dissolve and you may get lumps in the drink which might be unpleasant. In the original recipe you'd wait a few days until it sours naturally or use the leftovers from last time, there's no need to wait if you got a readily obtainable starter culture.

6. Cover with a clean cloth

and let it sit for around 12h, depending on room temperature, until it thickens almost to a sour cream consistency. Carefully remove the skin on top and discard or eat it, then dilute it with a bit of water or milk until it can be drank but it should stay fairly thick, then bottle and refrigerate. If it thickens just dilute it again, it's a self-propagating drink of sorts.

IMG_20180430_213157.jpg

Edited by raics

Tarator Soup

One of the favorite summer meals in south-east Europe and middle East, this cold soup is both savory and refreshing.

Ingredients:

• 2 large cucumbers
  • yogurt, around 0,4l but it can be less or more, depending on consistency which kind you got, ideally greek variety but you can also dilute sour cream in which case you should use less
  • some milk (optional), diluting the soup with water is more common but milk makes it more creamy, depends what you like
  • some dill (a small handful, more if you like it or less if you don't)
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic
  • some oil, preferably olive, a tablespoon or two
  • salt, pepper

1. Finely dice the cucumbers

or buzz them for a bit in the food processor, some use a grater but that can alter the soup consistency too much. Mince in the garlic cloves and finely chop the dill, add salt and pepper.

IMG_20180612_174221.jpg

2. Dilute the yogurt

to the consistency where it's almost drinkable but don't make it too watery as there can be a lot of water in the cucumbers (unless you drained them) and add the oil, you can use a whisk or a hand mixer if you're going with thick sour cream, add the oil.

IMG_20180612_174722.jpg

2. Mix it all together

and check if it's too thick, adjust a bit more if needed. If your ingredients weren't already cold refrigerate the soup or add some ice (make it thicker in that case). You can add some croutons or roasted chickpeas.

IMG_20180612_175925.jpg

Uzbek Pilaf

Ingredients:
- 1/2 kg of long grain rice or any kind of rice that doesn't stick much, this is important
- 1/2 kg of lamb, beef, pork or turkey
- 1/2 kg of carrots, cut in thin strips
- 2-3 onions, depending on size
- a handful of dried chickpeas or canned ones
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2-3 pepper grains
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin grains
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons of sweet paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sweet curry powder
- (optional) half a handful of unsweetened raisins (may be hard to find)

1. Dip the chickpeas in warm water and leave overnight

Or you will break your teeth on them. This step is skipped if you're using canned peas, in which case increase the amount from a handful to whatever you're comfortable with.

IMG_6153.jpg

2. Wash the rice and set it aside to soak

if the rice you're using takes a long time to cook, you may want to give it a bit of a headstart but it usually isn't necessary

IMG_6154.jpg

3. Fry the meat chunks on hot oil

IMG_6155.jpg

4. Cut the onions into quarters

and add them in when the meat browns a bit

IMG_6156.jpg

5. Add chickpeas, pepper grains and a bit of salt

keep on frying, adding a little water if the juices from meat and onion aren't enough

IMG_6157.jpg

6. Add water to cover everything

when the onion turns glassy and meat is half-cooked, let it simmer for a bit more

IMG_6158.jpg

7. Add whole garlic cloves, cumin grains and half the paprika powder

let it simmer for a few more minutes.

IMG_6161.jpg

8. Add the carrots

so they form a layer above the meat, do not stir the stew anymore after this point, cover and leave it to cook for some ten minutes

IMG_6164.jpg

9. Drain the rice and spread it over everything

carefully so the carrot layer is not disturbed.

IMG_6165.jpg

10. Add the rest of paprika, cumin powder, curry powder and raisins
and stir it carefully into the rice layer, leaving the carrots alone

IMG_6166.jpg

11. Add water
so it covers the rice with half a finger width to spare, let the liquid slowly boil on low heat

IMG_6167.jpg

12. Carefully add some more water
when it is is gone from the surface and the rice starts expanding, you want it roughly level with the rice this time

IMG_6168.jpg

13. Cover up and let it steam for half an hour more
turning the stove down on lowest possible heat, don't lift the lid, don't touch anything

IMG_6169.jpg

14. That's it
serve with fresh or pickled veggies, depending on season

IMG_6170.jpg

I read this whole thing before breakfast and now I'm inspired. Thanks for the post Raics, lets keep fighting the good fight against stereotypes that "gamers" can't cook. My personal specialty is cheesecake. But I also burn rice sometimes. 

OH Boy didn't see that thread before, well I'm personnaly starting to seriously cooking some meal myself, so this thread definitly pick my interest, eventually gonna try some of these recipe myself

I'm personnaly doing some testing, and trying to do some simple meal for now, last cook I did :

20201223_124929.thumb.jpg.7ed3fcfafc1aaf84660786e5585ecb81.jpg

Simple recipe I did using (by the way being french and not very technical when it come to coocking I'm sorry if I use the wrong words) :

-1/2 Red onions

-Some Garlic (admitadly I put a little to much however will reduce the quantity next time)

-1 Tomato

-1 box of Chickpeas

-A bit of Curry, Paprika and Cumin

Simply coocking Chickpeas, and put oil in a pan that I'm letting heat.  

Meanwhile cutting the half Onion into little pieces, then doing the same with the tomato.

I put the onions into the pan (reduce the heat if necessary) and let them cook a bit before adding the garlic and then the tomato. I then add the Curry, Cumin and Paprika and keep mixing before adding the Chickpeas, let everything cook for some minutes in the pan while mixing a little. And done.

Can be heat alone or can be heat with rice or semolina.