Fein-Life

SpeedRun Questions

68 posts in this topic

I've tried searching for Speed Runs and only found full game runs. Is there currently a speed Run of the Boss Rushes? 

I was thinking about starting boss rush speed runs - What are the rules on Fast Forwarding also..

Boss rush is basically post Smithy, so it would be an even longer run.

As far as rules, it's what you would expect: no emulator features.

Spoiler

Why is the speedrun done on beta instead of final?

Edited by Fein-Life
Whoopsie

There's two major reasons to do it with the beta:

1. A lot of the early boss fights are faster (Mallow does more damage with Shocker and the bosses have less HP) and a lot of the later boss fights are safer/faster (Dark is used far less)
  2. Most boss fights yield 1 exp, which saves a ton of time skipping the level up screen.

There's one fight near the end that gives thousands of experience and takes a few minutes to get through the level up sequence for, but it's much faster to do it all at once than spread out through the game.

Edited by Doomsday31415

Ah, really good explanation. Is The speedrun record the same regardless of which version the game is played on?

I'm thinking of trying to set the WR ... buuuttt.. my girlfriend is already tired of watching me crack out on this game haha

At the present time, there isn't a separate category for v8 easy/hard compared to v8 beta.  If there were, my best (and only) time in v8 easy would be 3:25:03*.

* Depends on start/end timing.

I'm officially starting the Hardmode speed run... but of course I'm going to have to play through this bastard a few more times before I will stream it

Hahahahaha. Gawddddd... I wanna believe. I got to Mack and ate shit.. then got to Become, ate shit. Then my save point deleted. Haha

How do you Glitch peach to have darkstar in your speedrun? 

In a speedrun, does a death disqualify a run? Because hardmode is hella RNG 

If you open the menu at the same time as jumping to hit a star chest, you'll be able to switch party members around while under the effects of a star.  By doing this, the game applies all level up bonuses (including HP and spells) to the switched member.  In this way, you can give Peach the bonuses Mallow would have gotten at level 70 (e.g. Dark Star).

Death doesn't disqualify the run, but no save states or other emulator features allowed!

Well, unfortunately I got to start somewhere.. after I'm done with this play through, I'm going to start again with Notes. Then apply the notes and hopefully shave another hour or two off.

The hardest part in hardcode aside from RNG is leveling up - because you have to grind - but the optimal fights / exp ratio is what I will have to study.

Next is learning the optimal Path through the game - which you've pretty much perfected. The only difference is, I can't avoid every chest from what I'm noticing - Like Marrymore, I found it was better to waste time staying at the INN Suite 3 times just to get the Gifts.. But maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, the hard mode route will likely involve some grinding in various places.  You might even want to get the Lazy Shell for Smithy!

I wonder if there's a consistent way to do Mack without the flame ring on hard, though...

I'll let you know... This run-through is just for familiarity. I'll probably be doing 10 plus runs this week before I try and do something official. I'm watching your easy mode run at the same time for ideas - although if I were to do what you did I would Insta die lol. I'm taking my time and seeing at what point I can beat bosses without worrying about RNG - It's a terrible feeling knowing I have to keep grinding levels in a speed run..

Ive never streamed before, I don't know where to begin.. My only Computer is a Mac and I don't think I could even get this game on it.

Yes, I just was going to get all that set up next week - until then I was going to practice. I suppose I could get it set up sooner than later, because you're obviously right in that, people can offer advice... That would probably speed up my learning curve significantly.

Question (As always) Do you have a list of all the Hardmode bosses HP and weakness etc? I could seriously benefit from that right now in these speed runs...