wad11656

[Request] Patch for vanilla SMRPG ROM that allows switching out Mario?

4 posts in this topic

I saw that a new mechanic in Armageddon V9 was to be able to switch out Mario from the party. I would love for an IPS patch that you could apply to a vanilla Super Mario RPG ROM that allowed that mechanism.

It would be even more marvelous if whatever character was first in your party had their sprite seen as the overworld sprite. There's a patch that worked on changing the overworld sprite here..

Switching out Mario is dependent on the rom, since certain events get broken by the change.  So the patch would need to be made specifically for vanilla.

Unfortunately, I don't remember what the changes are, so your only chance is to check with DK and hope he has the changes written down somewhere.

Well if I may chime in, the original devs of Mario RPG intended for Mario to be switched out, and their sprites would be changed on the overworld by default. However, like Doomsday mentioned, the game would break because the character would be different from Mario. Like for example, if Mario was value 0, Mallow was value 3, the game would break because we need Mario (who is value 0 in this case) to be on the overworld for the event to function.

As far as the code is concerned, use C3627500+C3628600. That does what I talked about above, where Mario can be switched but it breaks overworld events.

There is some hacking magic that DK used to get the overworld sprite to not change for Mario, so... good luck on that!

Just add if/then statements and allow Mario to be changed out to Luigi when you talk to him at Mario's pad. Except Luigi has more jump attacks and they're elemental