Sign in to follow this  
pogeymanz

I hate Hidon

5 posts in this topic

After a long hiatus, I booted up my 1.8.6 save. I've gotten all of the characters and defeated Doom Gaze, but that's pretty much it. I haven't defeated any dragons, still need to do Cyan's dream, and the Fanatics Tower (and other stuff, I'm sure).

My first few attempts at Hidon got my ass handed to me. I was trying to use my lowest level characters: Locke (Phoenix build), Sabin (Vig), Gau (SPEED), and Strago (stam), of course. Let's just say that this didn't work at all. The random targeting of Blitzes and Rage are just not compatible with managing the hidonites.

So I compromised and redid my party to have one of my strongest characters plus some low level guys (that aren't Gau): Locke, Strago, Gogo, Terra (stam, MVP).

This time I'm able to defeat Hidon almost-consistently (Morhped Terra Fire 3 FTW). I just need to not get pummelled in the first few turns and it usually goes okay. The problem is that I can't get him to use Black Omen. He used it once in a battle I lost. But that's it- I've only seen him cast it once.

I thought I'd be so clever and have Gogo Sketch him. But apparently, Strago doesn't learn Lores if your team uses one against the enemy.

I've now beaten Hidon four times and fought him at least 10 times. I'm f-ing sick of this battle. How do I convince Hidon to cast Black Omen?

1 minute ago, Deschain said:
  Hide contents

He only starts using Black Omen once you have killed all his Hidonites

Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Thank you.

4 hours ago, pogeymanz said:

I thought I'd be so clever and have Gogo Sketch him. But apparently, Strago doesn't learn Lores if your team uses one against the enemy.

Yes, he does. I'm guessing Strago was blind at the time.

4 hours ago, BTB said:

Yes, he does. I'm guessing Strago was blind at the time.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure he wasn't blind (is there anything that causes blind in the Hidon battle?), and I'm less sure he wasn't KO'd at the time that Gogo sketched it. Are there any other variables that might matter?

I already successfully defeated Hidon and got Black Omen thanks to the advice of Deschain and overwrote my save, otherwise I would do it again to verify.