Sign in to follow this  
jugend

difficulty levels?

7 posts in this topic

I'm really liking the look of this patch, but what are the difficulty levels like? I can't seem to find much info about it, and most of the lets plays I've seen, people are basically just steamrolling through it.

AI doesn't seem to be very smart, and with the lower access of heal, it seems, you can just safely target their healers from range, take them out, while the AI isn't smart enough to do it to you, giving you a significant advantage. Can anyone comment on this? I'm very curious to know how this plays out throughout the game.

Edited by megatenhero

The mod was meant to make the vanilla game more interesting while keeping it accessible to newcomers so this isn't really a difficulty mod even though it is somewhat harder. Those videos are typically made by people with hundreds of hours in vanilla and modded game so something would be wrong if they had much trouble with it.

I play both versions side by side on a daily basis, and can safely say that both are situationionally difficult at around the same level. Generally speaking with OV, You just have more options to come back, but no ways to revive a unit without losing another one (until angel Knights).  This means that You have a lot more meaningful back and forth while trying to out maneuver the other side. My favorite example is Xaebos. He and his Knights will hold their formation pretty well, preventing access to the healers that will keep them up and running at full health. This makes for more focus on subduing or distracting particular enemies while holding off others. For example maybe You charge up some crossbows and stun them, maybe You try to sneak in some rouges and ninjas (while covering them with an attack by archers and casters), maybe You try to push a side flank with some Warriors, maybe You just try to push through the center and try to trap Xaebos in a Phalanx box (which I did in my last run). There's a lot more consideration to the overall fight, and less "who's Canopus going to delete next?". 

Not sure if my runs were on that list, but the early ones tend to be steamrolled in all versions, it's not a difficulty mod, it's an immersion mod in my book.

(For a good example of a comeback from nothing, loop up "Last Stand Goddess Felicia")

Thanks for the insights. Any thoughts on this though? 

and with the lower access of heal, it seems, you can just safely target their healers from range, take them out, while the AI isn't smart enough to do it to you, giving you a significant advantage.

Maybe its offset with more usage of healing items?

On 5/10/2018 at 2:48 PM, megatenhero said:

Thanks for the insights. Any thoughts on this though? 

Maybe its offset with more usage of healing items?

Can anyone answer this last post?

3 hours ago, megatenhero said:

Can anyone answer this last post?

Right, sorry, that part is somewhat offset by weight, if you make your clerics tanky so they aren't attacked much they will get slower. Getting greedy and going for enemy clerics can expose your ranged units and/or flankers or disrupt the frontline, they don't go down too easily either.