Fein-Life

My First submitted Speed RUN

29 posts in this topic

I never realized how annoying meteor is without savestates...

I tried the final fantasy boss rush afterwards and got meteor full party critted after 50 minutes of playing... Lol

Andddd... It got rejected along with my newest speedrun of the Final Fantasy boss rush lmao

Because apparently I didn't download the game and install it on to the "preferred" emulator... Either the run is legit or it isn't.

So I guess I'm never going to attempt a speedrun of this game again...

Why the hell did he put specifics on emulators... I could see outlawing specific ones, but having it put to the one that he chose is silly... Unless someone knows how to transfer savestates, which clearly doesn't work, I'm done until v.9 comes out

I know it's not the answer you wanted to hear, but it's normal for only specific emulators to be allowed.  They have a specific timing and way they handle certain edge cases, not to mention load times may vary.  ZSNES for example does certain things slower or faster than SNES9x.  I can't speak for the emulator you used since I don't even know what it is, but it likely times differently.  It doesn't make any sense to allow all emulators except certain ones, since then you're forced to play wack-a-mole if new emulators or new versions come out.

As far as transferring savestates is concerned, it's unlikely to be possible.  If it's any consolation though, everyone else will have to do the same thing in order to be competitive in the boss rushes.

Also, you don't need any save states to do Smithy% or Xion% :)

Edited by Doomsday31415

You're certainly correct on everything- but emulators aren't the only thing that forces time variables, often times people use foreign versions of a game just to get edges in load times etc..

Most speedruns only require that you're using an emulator OR console (or arcade etc) but that they be placed into the correct category upon submission.

But I digress...

11 minutes ago, Fein-Life said:

Most speedruns only require that you're using an emulator OR console (or arcade etc) but that they be placed into the correct category upon submission.

Just to clarify, most speedruns are broken into an emulator category and a console category since even the best emulators tend to have have different load times than actual hardware.  However, the emulator category only allows certain emulators.  For example, Super Mario 64 requires "Project64 v1.6 or OpenEmu".  There are games that don't specify outright, like Super Mario World, but that's a mistake on the moderators.

Yeah, it sucks.  Even so, I stand by wolfblade's decision 100%.  I hadn't considered the factor the emulator was different.

But hey, it was an honest mistake - no harm no foul.  I really hope you'll get the snes classic set up and try again!  :coolguy:

What bothers me I think the most is the emulator I used is the same (JohnSnes) as Snes9X except a different skin. 

And I can't even use a Bluetooth controller with this Bareskin Version (the approved one).. ugh. This is garbage.

After researching the 2 different emulators - it has been proven via Mudlord that the 2 emulators are the same (JohnSnes is a stolen and reskinned version) hex wise.

Edited by Fein-Life
Woops

Actually.. nevermind. This emulator is completely garbage anyways. It's not capable of speedrun on because you can't use a controller with it. Lol. 

He should probably take this emulator off the list all together.

I deleted it and got the correct version.

This one has the Bluetooth options.

Just to be sure, the proper emulator is Snes9X Ex+?

The correct version is SNES9x v1.53+ on Windows.

If you want one for android, you'll have to take it up with wolfblade (who will likely tell you to take it up with darkkefka, who isn't going to want to test the game again on android).

Actually, I've got one better. I found out how to get everything on to the MAC itself, downloaded the path, the patcher, the room, and configured my controller.. And now I'm ready to start over with better quality than casting my phone!

This actually turned out better !