Sign in to follow this  
jugend

Some questions

9 posts in this topic

Hey, so I've been playing this mod, and liking it alot, but I have some concerns and questions.

When it comes down to it for the original game, limits basically become the deciding factor in terms of character strength. You start hitting 100k+ damage with certain characters with their LB's, and others just get completely outshun (red xii, vincent though you can make it work, uncontrollable is a major downside). It makes it so that by the end, it really becomes the deciding factor in the end. Another thing is, the quests for lvl 4. LBs, yes some are great.... but all creation  for example, is completly worthless. Have you made any changes to make them more worthwhile? Theres really no point in using a single hit aoe, when you could use 15 single hits.

I've read through a few dozen pages on qhimm to find out about changes to LB's and what not, but its too hard to search through the entire thing. I've read that you made an .exe patch to change the lb's, my question would be, is there any documentation on the exact changes you've made to LB's? I found that you reduce tifas charge time (which is great), but couldn't find anything for other characters other than vincents. Other question would be, this .exe, the page i was reading was from 2014, is there a more recent one to go along with 1.5? as I'm sure something from 2014 is somewhat out of sync with all the changes you've made to the patch throughout the years, if there isn't, is it advisable to use with 1.5? And is there any documentation for the .exe limit changes? 

Lastly, regarding arrange mode, I can't find much info about the difficulty of it in comparison with normal, but I have seen posts advising against it because it is more buggy, has this been fixed? And exactly how difficult is it in comparison to the normal, a through hard type?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by megatenhero

Right, so a long time back I made an .exe to go with the mod that introduced some changes to Limit Breaks and Materia Equip Bonuses/Penalties; it didn't turn out too well balance-wise as Limits in general were too weak and the new penalties stacked too heavily on Materia so I scrapped it. Fast-forward to March 2018, I returned to .EXE modifications and produced another prototype using the 1.5 build that again adjusts Limits & Materia, but also other things like MBarrier not affecting Cure magic, Poison status & element no longer being tied to each other, things like that. The plan going forward is to have .exe modifications be part of the mod as standard as there's a lot of features and formula changes I want to make that will require it.

One thing to note is that this version (March 2018) is a prototype so there's still some adjustments to make, particularly at end-game as the Materia penalties make Arrange mode tougher than intended. Limit Break changes on the whole try to factor in multi-hit Limits versus single-hit Limits with the Lv.4 Limits having effects like Ignoring Defence while the multi-hits were reined in a bit. They're still strong, but the single-hit Lv.4 Limits should also be dealing good damage as well now in addition to their other effects. The other Limits also had adjustments, such as Breath of the Earth restoring HP in addition to Esuna (so a stronger version of Healing Wind to account for the longer charge Limit time), Clear Tranquil restoring MP instead of HP, Braver being stronger than Cross Slash, Howling Moon giving more buffs to account for Berserk, things like that.

Arrange Mode is the hard mode of the mod, but I purposely didn't call it hard mode because I worried people would play the mod for the first time on that setting and be turned off it. Arrange is less balanced than normal mode and has some bugs with events, particularly the Bizarro fight. I'll be fixing these in June when I've got some more time.

53 minutes ago, Sega Chief said:

Arrange Mode is the hard mode of the mod, but I purposely didn't call it hard mode because I worried people would play the mod for the first time on that setting and be turned off it. Arrange is less balanced than normal mode and has some bugs with events, particularly the Bizarro fight. I'll be fixing these in June when I've got some more time.

Welp, I guess me and my ass are going to normal then: 7 hours in and I like arrange mode as my first run, but if endgame is hell I better put myself on normal to avoid ragequitting there

Edit: BTW great mod sega chief: I have never played FFVII and I don't have any reference to the vanilla version but so far I love this mod

Edited by ronlyn

3 hours ago, Sega Chief said:

Thanks for the answers, clears everything up, much appreciated. Is this March 2018 prototype .exe released yet, as I didn't see a posting of it on the forums, unless I missed it.

14 hours ago, ronlyn said:

Welp, I guess me and my ass are going to normal then: 7 hours in and I like arrange mode as my first run, but if endgame is hell I better put myself on normal to avoid ragequitting there

Edit: BTW great mod sega chief: I have never played FFVII and I don't have any reference to the vanilla version but so far I love this mod

Cheers, bud; I'll have arrange sorted out to handle the new .exe modifications at some point. I've got a graded unit project to finish up early June then I'll have some time to sort things out with the mod.

11 hours ago, megatenhero said:

Thanks for the answers, clears everything up, much appreciated. Is this March 2018 prototype .exe released yet, as I didn't see a posting of it on the forums, unless I missed it.

The prototype can be found here:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/uvccds3n4ov3c1n/NT_1.5_Build_-_10th_March_2018.zip

btw, is there any documentation for the changes in this modified .exe, or more specifically, exact changes to LB's?

A question here: Can we use old saves once this new version comes up? Because I tried normal mode and it fells.....empty

Hell, I didn't even bother to go past X-ATM since he was LAME compared to the arrange mode counterpart

On 26/05/2018 at 2:00 PM, ronlyn said:

A question here: Can we use old saves once this new version comes up? Because I tried normal mode and it fells.....empty

Hell, I didn't even bother to go past X-ATM since he was LAME compared to the arrange mode counterpart

Yeah save files are compatible across different builds of the mod, the savemap tends to be left alone.

On 25/05/2018 at 9:25 PM, megatenhero said:

btw, is there any documentation for the changes in this modified .exe, or more specifically, exact changes to LB's?

Not for the .exe stuff no, but I'll list the changes here:

Braver: Lowers enemy defence by 25%, base power swapped with Cross Slash (so slightly stronger than it)

Climhazzard: Lowers enemy defence by 25%

Mindblow: Inflicts Confu + Berserk, MP damage = to half the enemy's current MP (no longer Gravity element)

Hammerblow: Now deals physical damage along with its effect, same base power as Climhazzard

Catastrophe: Ignores Defence

Breath of the Earth: Heals party for half their maxHP and has Esuna effect

Planet Protector: Gives Wall, Shield, Regen instead of Peerless to party

Final Heaven: Ignores Defence

Boost Jump: Inflicts KO (100%)

Hyper Jump: Inflicts KO 100% (up from default chance)

Sled Fang: Drains damage as HP

Howling Moon: Grants Wall, Haste, Regen, Berserk, and +50% to Strength

Cosmo Memory: Always Critical & Ignores Defence: Magical

Greased Lightning: Inflicts Slow

Clear Tranquil: Restores 25% of MaxMP instead of 50% MaxHP

Landscaper: Inflicts Slow

Gauntlet: Inflicts Slow, Ignores Defence, Always Critical

All Creation: Ignores Defence & Always Critical: Physical

Mog Dance: Restores 50% of MaxHP/MP instead of 100%

In general, base power was adjusted for each Limit. It's not perfect and requires refinement, but it helps to lift up some of the underwhelming Limits a lot more. Late-game NT enemies tend to have beefier defences so Defence Ignore is a much more potent effect.