Vaylen

General level overview

18 posts in this topic

Hello there, I'd like someone to give me a general overview on what level my party should be for the various areas in the game. Would be especially helpful for the WoR stuff.

Reason I am asking is that I... Really do not like to overlevel, but oftentimes accidently do so. The no-exp feature is quite nice in that regard(A bit of a bummer for spellpoints and ELs, though).
As the levelling curve is a lot different now, I'd like to at least have some idea where I stand. Without the ability to scan enemy levels(Like in many other RPGs), it is hard to tell wether I just play well or am plain OP.

Currently, the game has started feeling way too easy(I am at the sealed gate cave and the enemies.. don't even get to do anything most of the time). Has felt that way since the magitek factory(All the bosses barely scratched me...).
Party is currently at lvl 18.

About level 10 for Zozo. Perhaps around 15 by the time you finish the Factory. 20 for the Floating Continent. You shoukd be entering Kefka's Tower at about level 30.

You're overleveled. Tbf, the Cave to the Sealed Gate is also kinda easy. But you are overleveled.

1 hour ago, thzfunnymzn said:

About level 10 for Zozo. Perhaps around 15 by the time you finish the Factory. 20 for the Floating Continent. You shoukd be entering Kefka's Tower at about level 30.

You're overleveled. Tbf, the Cave to the Sealed Gate is also kinda easy. But you are overleveled.

Blegh. Guess the cave is just generally easy - though, the ninja gave me trouble and the phalanxes were... not troublesome but real annoying(Especially cause I used Gau, figuring out some good rage to use... And I didnt know Tek Laser could be reflected o.O)
I guess the burning house and flame eater are meant to be kinda easy? (Storm/Aqua Rake = GG)

But 20 for Floating continent. I can work with that. Do you mean 20 at the start or 20 at the end of it?

Edited by Vaylen

11 minutes ago, thzfunnymzn said:

I generally start at 18. Others might start at 20.

Okay, good to know.
Any specifics on levels in WoR locations? If I remember correctly, you can do most of them in any order to wish, so maybe an "intended" order would help. Would suck to be like lvl 28 for lvl 22 area.

Eh...hmm....generally Mt. Zozo, Owzer's, and Veldt Cave can be seen as first. After that, Phoenix Cave and Narshe. Afterwards, Cyan's Soul, Cave to the Ancient Castle, and Ebot's. End with Fanatics', then Kefka's.

That third section is really iffy, based more on aesthetic "feel" rather than any real difficulty or story progression. Gogo's has very difficult foes, but is short with very good rewards.

Just now, thzfunnymzn said:

Eh...hmm....generally Mt. Zozo, Owzer's, and Veldt Cave can be seen as first. After that, Phoenix Cave and Narshe. Afterwards, Cyan's Soul, Cave to the Ancient Castle, and Ebot's. End with Fanatics', then Kefka's.

That third section is really iffy, based more on aesthetic "feel" rather than any real difficulty or story progression. Gogo's has very difficult foes, but is short with very good rewards.

That helps a lot, thanks! Gives me enough of an idea what to do.

On 5/27/2018 at 10:54 AM, Vaylen said:

Hello there, I'd like someone to give me a general overview on what level my party should be for the various areas in the game. Would be especially helpful for the WoR stuff.

Reason I am asking is that I... Really do not like to overlevel, but oftentimes accidently do so. The no-exp feature is quite nice in that regard(A bit of a bummer for spellpoints and ELs, though).
As the levelling curve is a lot different now, I'd like to at least have some idea where I stand. Without the ability to scan enemy levels(Like in many other RPGs), it is hard to tell wether I just play well or am plain OP.

Currently, the game has started feeling way too easy(I am at the sealed gate cave and the enemies.. don't even get to do anything most of the time). Has felt that way since the magitek factory(All the bosses barely scratched me...).
Party is currently at lvl 18.

I think you're trying a bit too hard dude. Final Fantasies aren't exactly skill based games. Just play the game and experiment as you like.

Just now, ShadowNinja said:

I think you're trying a bit too hard dude. Final Fantasies aren't exactly skill based games. Just play the game and experiment as you like.

Well, this mod aims to make it more skill based and dynamic. Overlevelling kinda makes those efforts go to waste.

1 hour ago, Vaylen said:

Well, this mod aims to make it more skill based and dynamic. Overlevelling kinda makes those efforts go to waste.

The only skill involved whatsoever is preparation pretty much. Your only chance of dying is due to being poorly prepared or just bad RNG. By maintaining a low level you're just making the game artificially harder which doesn't really increase the skill requirement, it just makes fights take longer and increases the chances for RNG to screw you. The only way you could make the game more skill based would be to switch combat mode to active so if increasing difficulty is what you're truly after then I suggest doing that.

Just now, ShadowNinja said:

The only skill involved whatsoever is preparation pretty much. Your only chance of dying is due to being poorly prepared or just bad RNG. By maintaining a low level you're just making the game artificially harder which doesn't really increase the skill requirement, it just makes fights take longer and increases the chances for RNG to screw you. The only way you could make the game more skill based would be to switch combat mode to active so if increasing difficulty is what you're truly after then I suggest doing that.

Being quick might be a skill... but there are other skills. Decision-making, adaptability, preparation. Strategy and real-time tactics.

By keeping myself UNDERlevelled, I make the game artificially harder, yes. Following from that: If I am overlevelled, I make the game artificially easier. I like neither of those options - I wish to be appropriately levelled to keep the challenge intact without it becoming too frustrating.

Due to the open-ended nature of the game and the lack of leaked experience, expected party levels vary a lot. If you're curious what the devloper expects...

Zozo: 10 ~ 12
IMTRF: 14 ~ 18
Floating Continent: 18 ~ 21
Kefka's Tower (going in): 28 ~ 32
Endgame: ~35

6 hours ago, Vaylen said:

Being quick might be a skill... but there are other skills. Decision-making, adaptability, preparation. Strategy and real-time tactics.

By keeping myself UNDERlevelled, I make the game artificially harder, yes. Following from that: If I am overlevelled, I make the game artificially easier. I like neither of those options - I wish to be appropriately levelled to keep the challenge intact without it becoming too frustrating.

There are no real time tactics unless you switch to active combat. The other things you mentioned aren't really skills. How difficult is it to know that if your opponent is weak to fire then you use fire. The level of depth in strategy is basically non-existent which is why I think you're trying a bit too hard. I mean, I easily beat this game when I was like 10 years old, how hard can it be? If you're not willing to switch to active combat then I have no clue why you're even on the forums complaining that the game has become too easy.

Active combat no longer exists since the implementation of nATB. There is some nuance in reaction times, but nothing substantial.

3 hours ago, ShadowNinja said:

There are no real time tactics unless you switch to active combat. The other things you mentioned aren't really skills. How difficult is it to know that if your opponent is weak to fire then you use fire. The level of depth in strategy is basically non-existent which is why I think you're trying a bit too hard. I mean, I easily beat this game when I was like 10 years old, how hard can it be? If you're not willing to switch to active combat then I have no clue why you're even on the forums complaining that the game has become too easy.

Errr... We are not talking about the vanilla game, but about a mod. There is a BIG difference.
And real-time tactics =/= active time combat. But I do not want to explain, so just ignore that part.
You seem to only think that something execution heavy is skillful.. at least in the context of turn-based strategy games... While disregarding strategy and any part of it as a skill. The main part of skill in such a game tends to be pre-game and decision-making. But this discussion seems to get a bit circular, so lets stop.

20 hours ago, ShadowNinja said:

it just makes fights take longer and increases the chances for RNG to screw you

Sure. But with proper planning and execution, you can dramatically sway the odds of the RNG screwing you. BNW has a lot more depth than just "everyone cast the element bad guy is weak against" (though that does help, when you have the available action economy). Read some of funnyman's log entries in the Nowea Hard Type thread for some examples of how preparation and approach can be the difference between impossible and possible encounters

If you're not willing to agree that strategy has any impact in a turn based RPG, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Unless you mean to say that skill and strategy are different things, which is really just splitting semantic hairs, I think.

LV19-20 by the end of the Floating continent, should be LV23 for Daryl Tomb, tough you can get through area being underlevel, in WoR try to often swap party members and for each new take the ones with the lowest Level this should make yourself have a somewhat consistent challenge, I never grind and never use the "No EXP" option during my playthrough and end up beating Kefka around LV30-32 and I never felt myself as being underlevel or overlevel except maybe at the beginning of the WoR because I started with Cyan (Zozo Mont) and Shadow's dungeons which seems to be quite tough if you just get off of Daryl's Tomb, Relm's dungeon however end up being too easy due to the LV I had gain from Cyan and Shadow's, I don't know what would be the best order to do stuff in WoR for a consistent challenge but overall IMO Jidoor's mansion should got first then either Veldt Cave or Mount Zozo, Phenix cave should be last character's recruitment dungeon, as for other optionnal Narshe up to Tritoch and Cyan's nightmare seems to be the easier one while Fanatic Tower and the Ancien Castle (where you found Odin) should go last before Kefka's Tower

24 minutes ago, Nesouk said:

LV19-20 by the end of the Floating continent, should be LV23 for Daryl Tomb, tough you can get through area being underlevel, in WoR try to often swap party members and for each new take the ones with the lowest Level this should make yourself have a somewhat consistent challenge, I never grind and never use the "No EXP" option during my playthrough and end up beating Kefka around LV30-32 and I never felt myself as being underlevel or overlevel except maybe at the beginning of the WoR because I started with Cyan (Zozo Mont) and Shadow's dungeons which seems to be quite tough if you just get off of Daryl's Tomb, Relm's dungeon however end up being too easy due to the LV I had gain from Cyan and Shadow's, I don't know what would be the best order to do stuff in WoR for a consistent challenge but overall IMO Jidoor's mansion should got first then either Veldt Cave or Mount Zozo, Phenix cave should be last character's recruitment dungeon, as for other optionnal Narshe up to Tritoch and Cyan's nightmare seems to be the easier one while Fanatic Tower and the Ancien Castle (where you found Odin) should go last before Kefka's Tower

Yeah, I did Veldt cave rather early and it wasn't exactly easy. I also always make sure to level my characters rather evenly.
Currently at mt. zozo... My main problem are my current low level characters: Relm and Strago. They are both so horribly thin, Shadow feels like a tank compared to them. The strong AoEs from Colossus and Punisher are pretty problematic.
Both Relm and Strago are only lvl 20... I level them a little and maybe get Doomgaze, see how it goes. From what I've seen, Gau could probably solo doomgaze with Flan x)