Sign in to follow this  
Jack

Brave New World without script updates?

42 posts in this topic

It's been over a year since I popped in on the BNW board, and this is really still being complained about?

I think people forget all the cringe-worthy jokes from the original script ("I thought he just wandered away from his gym" or literally any of Ultros' lines anyone?)--I don't think that took away from the original at all, and the BNW script I think keeps with that. Hell, I prefer Clean New World almost completely because of the cheesy cover-ups for the swearing ("Great googly-moogly" will always make me chuckle, but I was a bit sad to see they took out "I will make sweet love to you with a rake" from when you ask to drive the airship). It's all in good fun, and I never thought it was too much compared to the original at all.

I just finished the second round of edits on a script that is essentially what you're asking for. Don't know when BTB is going to make it into a patch, but once it's done, it'll be BNW, with a script that is a combination of the Japanese, BNW, and Woolsey, with the aim of keeping the spirit of Woolsey, the ideas of the Japanese, and the clarity and better translation of BNW. I'll post it here when it's finished.

5 hours ago, Kaffe Myers said:

Hmmm, better come up with something new to complain about now... Any ideas?

FF3US enemy sprites were replaced with the JP ones! THIS ISN'T WHAT I GREW UP WITH

13 hours ago, Valenhil said:

I WANT THE BROKEN CAPS LOCK NAMING BACK

We'll properly-case all the names and use FULL CAPS FOR THE DIALOGUE.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:18 PM, Kaffe Myers said:

Hmmm, better come up with something new to complain about now... Any ideas?

But muh chocobo frame

There are not enough concatenated names like TunnlArmr or MithrlBld.

Also why haven’t we switched to the GBA naming scheme. Firaragaza please.

Back the topic of script, Cyan’s Soul has both bad writing and the best new addition in the game. “Fuck you Moe” is the kind of juvenile cringe nobody cares for. But Schemp. Schemp is brilliant. When he interrupts Wrexsoul, I actually laughed for real. It’s like...that accomplishes what Ultros was meant to be in vanilla, which makes it fit even though it’s such a nonsensical reference to have in the game. That part needs to stay. 

Also whyyyyyy is a Sabin Gau party so bad at saving Cyan. 

I second Schemp. Schemp is amazing.

Tbf, though, the Dream Stooges definitely look and act like the juvenile type, so them swearing like sailors doesn't quite reflect so badly on BTB and Synchysi. I'll happily take toning down the obnoxiousness of their swearing, but the stooges are definitely the juvenile type. (Them attacking each other was kinda amusing too. It's their antics that help lead up to Schemp being amusing. All on his own, out of nowhere, Schemp would be out of place).

Mog's good at helping Cyan clear his soul, kupo!

I can't stand some of the script additions either, and I never liked "slim-jim" as an item even from the beginning, but whenever this discussion comes up it turns into a bunch of site mods uncompromisingly defending the script, and purists arguing that it shouldn't have been changed to begin with. I think a balance can be had between having the good script edits such as the celes dialogue and training room stuff and even some of the fourth wall breaks/pop references that are well done, and cutting down on some of the crass humor, fart jokes, blatant out of place pop culture references and other (imo) poor writing choices 

Edit: I didn't read the entire topic before posting and see that someone had edited the script. So cool.

Edited by Echoherb