Sign in to follow this  
ShadowNinja

Tone down Dadaluma

37 posts in this topic

This fight is not even remotely reasonably balanced.  Either remove his regen or remove his "spoon" attack or significantly nerf both. This fight is not even close to being fun.

Edited by ShadowNinja

I don't think toneing him down is necessary, yes I agree the first few times I fought him I was pulling my hair out.

But with the right setup and strategy he is a bit of a push over.

If you search the forum under dadaluma you will find a thread on beating him.

But, heres my 2 cents.

Spoiler

In Zozo, on the way up the tower have Shadow and Locke steal a bunch of butterflies off the hobo's (hopefully you may also get a healing shiv).

I recommend a party of Celes, Shadow, Locke and a Figaro (doesnt matter which one)

Use Shadow the set image with smoke bombs, and if he is free from that, throw butterflies for big damage. If you run out then he keeps setting image or attacks.

If you got a healing shiv Locke is your healer, if not he attacks.

Use the Figaro brother or Celes to set slow.

Use the Figaro brother to set sap and/or poison.

Celes is mainly used to revive, heal occasionally, attack and look pretty.

When he jumps you defend, then get ready to immediately set slow/sap.

Confuse/poison/kill his cronies as quick as you can, Edgar is better at this than Sabin.

Hopefully this helps you out in future runs.

Edited by F-Bomb

I've beaten him before on the 1.4a version. Not sure if he was buffed or what not but this time it's virtually impossible. I legit had a much easier time with Atma weapon than this fucking guy. I'm over leveled for the zone with all level 13-14's when the mod maker says the zone is intended for 10-12(good fucking joke). I'm employing what is literally a flawless strategy. I always defend his jump attack. I hold my turn with Edgar usually with bio blast so I can immediately kill his adds when he spawns them. My entire team is in the back row using weapons that ignore row so that I avoid as much damage as possible. I'm having Celes slow and heal non stop. I've attempted 6x so far with my last attempt had him using "spoon" literally back to back insta killing 2 of my guys then after I rezzed them he insta killed them again. No fucking boss this early in the game should be this difficult. He's literally harder than Atma weapon which is fucking retarded. He 100 million percent needs to be toned down. 

Edited by ShadowNinja

Personnaly this is one of this bosses where I wonder why the fuck people have trouble with him honnestly I have never lost against this guy in vanilla BNW (on Nowea Hardtype that's another story) and I wasn't overlevel, so I assume that you are either unprepare or you are using a wrong strategie.

Edited by Nesouk

Are you setting Sap and Slowing him?
Every time he pops a Slim Jim he gains Regen and Haste, so you wanna make sure to counter those with Slow and something like Drill or Pummel or you're going to have a bad time.

7 minutes ago, A Dummy said:

Are you setting Sap and Slowing him?
Every time he pops a Slim Jim he gains Regen and Haste, so you wanna make sure to counter those with Slow and something like Drill or Pummel or you're going to have a bad time.

Yep. Drilling. Slowing. Poisoning. I know I've been getting extremely close to killing him but he pulls out some bullshit RNG on me every time so far 6x in a row now.

What’s your party setup?  It’s a tricky fight with several moving parts but you can figure this out.

I'm using gau, locke, edgar, celes. I'm well aware it's not min maxing but there's no fucking reason whatsoever that I should be having this much difficulty with a party that's entirely over leveled and has the best possible gear in the entire game at this point in time. This piece of shit uses slim jim every 20 fucking seconds. It's so god damn retarded it's unbelievable. Then he uses spoon once every minute and auto kills whoever it hits. Then I rez them, then he hits that fucking person right before I can heal them then they die again, then he spawns adds, then he slim jims again. Tone this fucking piece of shit boss down. It's seriously the most cancerous shit I've ever experienced in my entire life playing a JRPG.

Yo bro, this isn’t reddit. Check your attitude.  If you want help we’ll be glad to offer advice but rolling in here like we owe you something is garbage. 

What rage do toi have for Gau ?

Locke should hit hard with 2 butterflies + Black Belt and you van use him for items usage

Celles with Sprint Shoes for auto-haste is good égaler and van deal sole damage with Ice (Dadaluma is weak To it)

Edgar should do nothing but bio blaster spam.

When he jumps put everyone on Defense when he cimes black immediatly use Slow and Drill, espion is annoying but single target if he has slow you shouldn't have trouble recovering.

If everything fails then go back to Narshe and I suggest replacing Gau and Locke for Sabin and Cyan.

He can win fine with that party.

Lo/Ce play healing and revive duty with as much pdef as possible, including shields.

Edgar runs a stout spear and Bio Blast. His Bio Blast is especially important for adds.  

Gau uses Wild Rat rage if you have it.

Everyone in the back row. White capes and Safety gloves.  

If you want you can try dual Butterfly Locke but I don’t like this personally.  As long as you have one dedicated healer you should be fine.  Just don’t waste turns and pay attention to how Dadaluma reacts.  

55 minutes ago, Mishrak said:

Yo bro, this isn’t reddit. Check your attitude.  If you want help we’ll be glad to offer advice but rolling in here like we owe you something is garbage. 

A) I wasn't cursing at you or anyone else. B) I don't need advice, the encounter is simply broken. C) I finally beat it, took me 13 phoenix downs and 15 minutes. No encounter this early in the game should be that difficult. The only reason I was losing was because I only had 9 phoenix downs originally so I had to go back to town and buy a fuck ton of them. If you have to rez 13 times to beat this shit when you're over leveled for it and geared to the teeth, it's broken. It felt like I was fighting a weapon in FF7.

Edited by ShadowNinja

There’s nothing broken with the encounter at all.  It’s difficult, yes, but lots of people have had much less of a hard time with it than you did on their first play, myself included. 

I don't need advice, the encounter is simply broken

This is a really bad attitude to put towards any game, not just limited to here.
Assuming your strategy is already perfect when you're clearly having trouble and putting it at the fault of the encounter or the balance, rather than analyzing your approach and looking for ways to improve, is going to make things hard for you whether the game is something like Dark Souls, something more PvP oriented like Overwatch, or even a simple platformer like Mario. (Kind of a silly example I know, but the same philosophy can apply.)

37 minutes ago, ShadowNinja said:

A) I wasn't cursing at you or anyone else. B) I don't need advice, the encounter is simply broken. C) I finally beat it, took me 13 phoenix downs and 15 minutes. No encounter this early in the game should be that difficult. The only reason I was losing was because I only had 9 phoenix downs originally so I had to go back to town and buy a fuck ton of them. If you have to rez 13 times to beat this shit when you're over leveled for it and geared to the teeth, it's broken. It felt like I was fighting a weapon in FF7.

So it is as I say you were poorly prepare who the fuck would not have a stock of phenix Downs when they became available, and I beat him in 6-7 minutes at LV13-14 with 0 Phenix Downs the only difference is that I had Sabin instead of Edgar so sorry but I don't think the fight is as insane as you make it seems.

1 hour ago, Nesouk said:

So it is as I say you were poorly prepare who the fuck would not have a stock of phenix Downs when they became available, and I beat him in 6-7 minutes at LV13-14 with 0 Phenix Downs the only difference is that I had Sabin instead of Edgar so sorry but I don't think the fight is as insane as you make it seems.

Well I spent a lot of $$ on gear and had 20 phoenix's but kept getting bullshit step mines and magnitude killing people. Also, it's literally impossible to do the fight with 0 downs unless he never does the spoon attack. He did the spoon attack at least 8x in all of my attempts and it's a 100% hit rate auto kill so how the fuck did you not die once.

Like this and this was done with a suboptimal strat as I berserk Sabin and forgot to bring someone that could inflict Sap (and forgot to put Gau in a Rage that could do so), admitadly he didn't use Spoon in that fight (tough I could record another fight with spoon in it that wouldn't be a problem) and he did kill Locke but I killed him before having the time to use a phenix downs but I already beat him with Spoon involve but again Spoon is only when he is low on HP and is single target with Slow you have time to recover, normally I take either Cyan or Edgar instead of Gau here but I wanted to have fun with him, the global idea is I keep a character Berserked so that I have a consistant source of damage (in this case Sabin because 2 Poison Claws with Berserk hurt that guy A LOT) and the 3 other on the defensive to healing put Slow and Sap on him and to deals with the minions with AoE (Bio Blaster or Global Ice).

Very weird. He was using spoon on me very early on in the fight and in the attempt that I beat him he used it around 10 times.

He uses Spoon based on what commands are hitting him, three of his attacks work this way (ie. Slim Jim + Jump, Elbow Drop, and Spoon).  The Fight command, for example, will make him use the least threatening of the three attacks, where he eats a Slim Jim and Jumps.  If you drag out the fight, he'll eventually use all 3 of those attacks regardless of how you are fighting him though.

But he really isn't that threatning I redo some testing and with a team of Sabin, Locke, Cyan and Celes it took me only 4 minutes with the same team as ShadowNinja (Locke, Edgar, Celes and Gau) I beat him first try took me around 8 minutes and 4 Phenix Downs so it's definitly not the optimal set up but it works just fine he did use Spoon this time tough.

On my most recent playthrough I actually lost to dadaluma once because of bad rng and forgetting to defend against jump but I thought it was a really fun fight.

I had locke on healing duty with his shiv, celes smacking him with the flail, edgar spamming bio blaster and noise blaster for his adds, and gau doing the engineer and wild rat rages. Getting vanish helps with a lot of his attacks, though shockwave will cancel it out. A trick that will help a lot is waiting until your healer can act immediately after whoever throws the phoenix down so they don't get sandbag'd by daddy luma.

Next time I play (hopefully after 2.0 comes out) I think I'll swap celes for shadow or cyan, smoke bomb spam would probably be immensely helpful, and dispatch does stupid damage.

But anyway yeah, daddy is supposed to be the first REAL boss fight, but I think he's at a perfectly reasonable level of difficulty.

Dadaluma is kind of a damage race. At some point, he starts throwing spoons more frequently I feel... That's when you are starting to lose the race. Aside from that, he is pretty manageable due to his poison and ice weaknesses and being human - nigh every character has something powerful against him. I think that was done really well to give you a leg up in the fight.

6 hours ago, JohnFuklaw said:

I had locke on healing duty with his shiv, celes smacking him with the flail, edgar spamming bio blaster and noise blaster for his adds, and gau doing the engineer and wild rat rages. Getting vanish helps with a lot of his attacks, though shockwave will cancel it out. A trick that will help a lot is waiting until your healer can act immediately after whoever throws the phoenix down so they don't get sandbag'd by daddy luma.

Gau can also help with his Conjurer rage which can use Rerise and at this point Rerise is quite OP as it will raise your character at full HP or near Full HP, Conjurer normal attack can also inflict Sap so that's also a good use for Gau in this fight.

In my case I just decided to screw him over by confusing his henchmen via Noiseblast and make the do my bidding by rocking the tarr out of the old man alongside Shadow while Celes and Locke played medics and sometimes lay down some hits to fast things up.

Morale of this topic: EVERYONE has that one boss that make you rage-quit, just deal with it and try to enjoy this awesome mod

Edited by ronlyn

I agree that either Spoon or Jump does just a touch too much damage. The ability to one-shot nearly everyone on two abilities is rough, especially this early, since it's hard to stack defense freely, and especially because there's nothing really obvious telling you why he's hitting you with these hard-hitting attacks back-to-back. If it were up to me, Jump would instead auto-set you to 1 hp instead of insta-gibbing 2/3 the roster.

Obviously, once you know the script, or know what you need to do to crush his damage in that race, you can cheese the fight, but it's a rude awakening to how hard this mod can be when you first get to it. I actually don't believe about half of you who claim to have beat it first try the first time you played this mod, and I don't believe any of you who say you did it with no issues: The sheer amount of damage he throws out in a supposed rebalance, instead of hard mode hack, is off-putting at best.

That said, coming in here and talking the way you did about a fight that so many people have managed to beat is disrespectful as hell. We all managed to beat it, we've all managed to find ways around it, and now that we have, we all can get past it without more than a single wipe, if that. And yet you completely talk down our experience and our ability, disrespecting everything we've done - and the truly impressive amount of work some of the crazier players here have put in to figuring out the fight. It's why you got such a terrible response to your thread.

Personally, my favorite strategy for him is to bring Shadow and funnel all post-Narshe money into a stack of Butterflies. Power Gloving Thrown Butterflies is hilarious amounts of damage.

Edited by vonriel