Fein-Life

Honest opinion please

33 posts in this topic

Is this game as good as Return of the dark Sorcerer?

This was my review of that game:

https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/3514/#review

I'm looking for another game to master, stream, and make in depth tutorials for for the next month. 

How are the tutorials on YouTube for this game? Is it lacking, could there be better ones?

I've done all of them for smrpg Armageddon v.8 and I enjoyed it so much.

I would to continue my tutorials journey but I want the "right" game

For truly documented and well versed tutorials, or in detail looks at mechanics under the hood? Nothing too much like that aside from a promo video as far as I'm concerned. 

I'd argue that each game is its own domain. RotDS is a true to heart fan game that pulls in lots of outside content to revamp the system with new and creative concepts, such as Eiko's Summon command. It's story is rather different, and often fun, while still preserving a core story element: Kefka fucks the world up, you fuck him up in return, and Kefka's rise to power prior.

Brave New World is, as stated somewhere in the readme I'm sure, is much more a game that just reworks core concepts, using no visual assets outside of the game, to present to you a better and refined version of the game that has its share of developer quirkiness. It focuses on the original story and characters while peppering, sometimes judged often as overloading, in old and modern pop culture references, something akin to what the original producer/developer wanted to do, but couldn't. 

Both games come radically different under the hood. I believe RotDS is an expanded ROM with loads of reworks and new ideas, while BNW has managed to this day to keep all its rework within the realm of the original cartridge space. Short of entirely rewriting the code, it currently won't escape its future of exploding at the seams.

Not sure what more to say though. The community here has, already, tonnes of documentation via the readme, printme, rage spreadsheet, unlockme, character planner, and the game editor UsME, there isn't much that isn't hidden at this point. There are even lengthy character discussions that have plenty of information on loadouts on all the characters for probably every situation in the game. 

So, plenty of information, just nothing on video. I'd say give the game a whirl and go from there.

In my experience RotDS is a TON more difficult and has a lot of that difficulty built into enemy stats and the skill/character changes. BNW changes a lot of the original, but if you've played the original and know how to use those systems well, adapting to BNW will be pretty straight forward if you pay attention (BTB and Syn do a good job of documenting changes in-game and in the stuff you get with the hack so you know what you're getting into).

Both hacks are very well-done in terms of how much they overhaul, but I just could not get into RotDS because of the traditional hard-type aspects of it. So, it really depends on your tolerance for the presence of those hard-type aspects--if you dislike them (as I do), go with BNW, but if you like that kind of thing, RotDS will probably be more your cup of tea. Both hacks are good and worth your time though.

I started BNW. Pretty good so far. Can't get over how easy the opening enemies one shot you with poison . Kind of ridiculous IMO. 

47 minutes ago, Fein-Life said:

I started BNW. Pretty good so far. Can't get over how easy the opening enemies one shot you with poison . Kind of ridiculous IMO. 

I think they trigger via counter.
Many enemies have counters to specific commans like attack, magic, blitz, tool etc. etc. Those counters can wreck you hard, so you got to play around them.

1 minute ago, Fein-Life said:

Ahh. I was just trying to grind terra to 17 in the beginning cave but it's very hard in this game

Heh, yeah. I'd advise against grinding, as being OP makes a lot of the challenge negligible, but that may just be me.

2 hours ago, Fein-Life said:

If you've grinded to the point that the opening enemies are using Poison, you are overleveled as FUCK.

1 hour ago, Fein-Life said:

What do u mean grinded to the level where they are using poison? 

Do the enemies scale with you or something?

No scale in terms of levels and such: Enemies change their AI after a certain level is obtained to avoid power levelling

In fact, you should REALLY avoid grinding like crazy since the game tends to punish you for trying to cheese it

Edited by ronlyn

It's not an anti-grinding mechanic - it's a way for early-game enemies to still pose a threat when you encounter them later on (and, more specifically, it's my way of justifying them having powerful attacks when Gau rages them by having them ACTUALLY USE said attack). 

6 hours ago, Fein-Life said:

Ahh. I was just trying to grind terra to 17 in the beginning cave but it's very hard in this game

My answer to that is why ? LV17 is WAY beyond Overlevel to give you an idea it's around the Level you should have for floating continent, needless to say it's unecessary not to mention that outside of your HP and MP increasing LV doesn't increase the other stats so grinding at this point is nothing but a waste of time.

I level up because later characters join at the average so it saves time . And poison one shots terra.. not a very good adjustment of AI. 

Definitely an anti grinding mechanic, although I'm sure it's accidental. Because it's almost impossible to get through the beginning cave without save states one you get to a certain level.. lols...

IDK if this sounds kind of rude but..........

Why don't just play the game and have fun? If you wanna do a review, do it while you enjoy the game for what it is: A new experience with familiar faces

I have fun grinding... Lols. 

I'm not playing the game just to leave a review.. wut?

Dying every battle is not fun fyi

Just out of curiosity, how long did you have to spend grinding to get to level 10?

Edited by BTB

Not exactly sure, but about 2 hours. It takes about 6 hours to get to level 15 

And over 10 hours to get to level 20.

If you keep this up you're going to have a bad time, and basically ruin the hack for yourself most likely, even level 10 is pretty high that early on in the game and that's about what level you're expected to be at when you return with Banon.

Basically any issues you run into at this point are going to be on you, as the hack is designed that you can just go through the game fighting randoms along the way and you will always be around the level that's fair with room to grind for an extra 2 or 3 levels if you feel like things are a bit too hard for yourself.

2 hours ago, Fein-Life said:

Not exactly sure, but about 2 hours. It takes about 6 hours to get to level 15 

And over 10 hours to get to level 20.

can't even with this shit.jpg

The WoR bumps all characters up to at least level 18, if that's one of your concerns about new characters joining.

Beginning game enemies change their script past about level 7 or 10, so that, when you meet them again later in the game (Three Scenarios, grabbing Mog after IMF), they pose at least somewhat of a threat.

I...I have to ask. Why did you grind so high? FYI, the level cap is 50, but the the end dungeon was designed to be beaten comfortably at levels 30-35. So you've got plenty of room to grind out a few extra levels and remain above the "level" curve without getting to super high level. (Level 17 is Floating Continent level, 12 levels ahead of where you should be.)

8 hours ago, Fein-Life said:

I level up because later characters join at the average so it saves time .

Except it's useless because Leveling Up in that hack only increase HP and MP nothing else your other stats will not increase until you get espers, what you're doing is basically like if in Final Fantasy VIII you were grinding Levels without junctionning your magics to your stats it's useless and only ruin the experience by making ennemies stronger (aka the issue you are currently having), if you really want to make any grind usefull in this hack you should do it after getting espers at least because most of the stats increase will come from them every Levels grind before that point is meaningless.

As A Dummy says Brave New World is not an HardType kind of hack it was balance to have no need for grinding from start to finish (heck it can even be done at low LV).

As a sidenote, levelling up past 30 is very difficult already, so that's not an easy grind. If you really wanna grind, you should wait till south figaro - the desert enemies are hard, but give lots of xp and money.
But really, as everyone here says... I'd advise against grinding. Undermines the depth of the mod by a lot. And, for the endgame, you'll likely still be just about lvl 30 anyway. Grinding Esper Levels is also way more important - which you cannot even as of right now.

Jeez. Didn't know I would upset so many people by grinding.

I didn't realize the level cap was only 50 and that the script adjusts the leveling average.

I am enjoying this game thoroughly though.

How do you use a randomizer? Final fantasy 4 had free Enterprise which randomized the game for you.

I've downloaded Python and I have no idea how to randomized BNW ,nor do I understand Python.. does anyone have a video of this using and Android phone?