Null fire, weak wind : normal damage

Null fire, null wind: 0 damage

Null fire, resist wind: half damage

weak wind, neutral fire: double damage

weak wind, weak fire: double damage

weak wind, absorb fire: absorb

Resist fire, resist wind: half damage

Resist fire, neutral wind: normal damage

Also confirmed that this patch does not accidentally change single-element damage in any way.

Edited by Deschain

So, I got lost in all the hoop-la. Nothing can change with the implementation because of FFVI programming, did I hear right?

It's not impossible, but the more complex the logic the harder it'll be to implement. This is by far the easiest way to handle multiple elements that isn't picking most-resistant, since it only uses addition/subtraction/dividing by 2. The instant we start dividing by other numbers, things get messy.

19 minutes ago, Think0028 said:

It's not impossible, but the more complex the logic the harder it'll be to implement. This is by far the easiest way to handle multiple elements that isn't picking most-resistant, since it only uses addition/subtraction/dividing by 2. The instant we start dividing by other numbers, things get messy.

What about just having elementals use the same damage multiplier formula that everything else uses? Jump, Berserk, Morph, and all that?

When I apply this patch it makes my game glitch when I enter combat, everything turns to static and the game freezes. I'm using a headered rom and playing on Snes9x. Tried patching a vanilla copy of FF6 but the same glitch happened.

Try with a unheadered ROM. Looking at the asm code/file, the header part is commented out with ; which means it won't be taken into account when patching. So I'd assume the ips patch is for unheadered.
Cool patch btw!

Edited by Gi Nattak

The idea of treating multi element attacks as several mini single elemental attacks and summing the result was discussed earlier, due to the fact that such a patch already exists. This simpler approach was deliberately requested, I assume for its simplicity.
The Separation of Powers patch also consumes a fair chunk of free space; Think's patch is more frugal.

Updated with a different math and resistance interaction at BTB's request. Basically, most of the time resist + not being weak = resist.

1 hour ago, Think0028 said:

Updated with a different math and resistance interaction at BTB's request. Basically, most of the time resist + not being weak = resist.

So, mostly just "nulling one element won't completely nullify a multi-elemental attack"?

4 hours ago, Think0028 said:

So basically what I was exactly asking for when I first saw it. :P
Thanks for the update!

21 hours ago, thzfunnymzn said:

So, mostly just "nulling one element won't completely nullify a multi-elemental attack"?

Dead on the money.